News:

Iron gates are a thing of the past! Now, you can access your yard with the all-new NinSheetMusic-brand Teleportation Technology!

Main Menu

The NSM RPG

Started by Zunawe, June 07, 2012, 09:00:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

We should include. . .

only medieval weapons with minor upgrades using technology.
10 (62.5%)
futuristic weapons that have been severely weakened, or become extremely rare. (i.e. laser guns with limited shots)
9 (56.3%)

Total Members Voted: 16

blueflower999

Quote from: SuperFireKirby on June 12, 2012, 07:14:11 PMWe should definitely have in-jokes and references all over the place, hell name random NPCs after members(A SIPAN CHARACTER IS REQUIRED), but we shouldn't make this another NSM Adventure story.
Add a few frivolous lines.
Bulbear! Blueflower999

Spyro

Needs some comedy like the Mario and Luigi series too.

DryLuigi

So while we're waiting for story details, I figured I'd throw together a (very) rough proof of concept for a battle system to show that it is indeed feasible. As I was aiming for completion speed, I used open source music and characters. However, I did design all of the other elements, such as the UI, and backgrounds. Please forgive the rough edges, as this wasn't ment to look pretty (and it doesn't :P).

The art of flying is to throw yourself at the ground and miss -Douglas Adams

SuperFireKirby

I'm gonna spam PM's to K-Night, but if he doesn't deliver us his ide,a which he's apparently got pretty developed, I guess I'll just write the darn thing myself(and Ragster, of course)

Oh, and I like the idea for the system. Obviously it will be more developed, but that's definitely a start! Glad to see someone is doing something to move this project forward.

Quote from: Mashi on March 26, 2013, 05:54:37 PMAfter viewing both FMA:Brotherhood and Naruto Shippuden, it would be frivolous to even consider watching an anime as unbearably mediocre as Melancholy. NARUTOxHINATA 4 LYFE!!!

Zunawe

I always thought that Dragon Warrior looked a little better in style. Not as text based as it was, and not as stationary, but where you could see the monster you were up against from the front. Maybe more like Pokemon? I don't know.

I haven't seen K-NiGhT for a while. Maybe he accidentally wrote the story of the matrix that we're living in, and the robots had to kill him before he could spread the story. . . I'm tired.

I love that guy's hairdo, by the way.
You know you've been playing too much Dragon Quest when you're afraid your Hershey's Kisses are going to flee.

I program things

K-NiGhT

NSM RPG Quick Summary

A boy lives in a small town in the Midwest with his mother and little sister. One day on his 13th birthday (which happens to be halloween) he and his sister go trick or treating when a man appears from nowhere and proceeds to kill the boy's sister. Enraged and frightened, the boy blanks out, only to wake up minutes later to find a sword in his hand and the man seemingly dead at his feet. Shocked at what he has done, he passes out again for an unknown amount of time. When he awakes, he finds himself in the South Pole. Enraged, he plunges his sword into the ice, and through some weird cosmic event, splits the world into two seperate pieces, except for one little speck in the middle, his hometown.

More to come soon. Tell me what you think. NOW.

Edit: Btw, the man that killed the boy's sister was his father. It makes more sense as I go on.
Quote from: K-NiGhT on April 11, 2024, 11:54:48 AMwow, 20 years

*crumbles into dust and blows away in the wind*

MaestroUGC

It seems a little cliche, and it reeks of Oedipus.
Try to do everything; you're bound to succeed with at least one.

K-NiGhT

MaestroUGC

Except for the whole world splitting in half, it sounds like every RPG ever. A child who was just minding his business until something happens that results in the loss of a loved one (usually it's the mother, so kudos to you for the subversion) that sends him on a quest for vengence/answers or joins up with the local rebellion to take down the Big Bad (who's usually the one who killed the loved one).

The fact that the Big Bad is his father, well have you ever read Oedipus Rex?

K-NiGhT

No I haven't :0

Edit: That kind of story was sorta what I was going for. It'll become more clear when I keep writing more on it.

the_last_sheikah

Oedipus Rex...Isn't that the one where he was banished as a baby, raised by another kingdom, engages an old man in mortal combat on a bridge, beats the sphinx at jeopardy, does the naughty with the local queen, has a bunch of kids, only to find out that the man was his dad, and the queen was his mom, so he rips his eyes out?

I think that's tight, though I may have paraphrased a little.
You see, we're entertainers. We must keep people smiling. No matter how grim things get, we must always be optimistic!

MaestroUGC

Close enough, but I was mainly talking about the "Fighting/killing his Dad" aspect, more than the "Marrying his Mom" thing, the only two things people take away from that play.

Cobraroll

Why not go the XKCD route?

All that stuff that happens between panel 1.5 and 3 could be explored. No need for any backstory whatsoever.
Emergence - a story exclusive to NSM

Yes, I'm still around from time to time. For quicker response, you can reach me by PM, or drop by Smogon to say hi. I go by "Codraroll" there, because of a bet.

Zunawe

I'm kinda tired of this "Small town boy saves world" kinda story. What if it were something more like a person who was already a hero, but something happened so that he is now fallen from greatness, and sets out on a quest to regain his prestige. Or something along those lines. I just feel like too many games already use the "unlikely hero" to push the story. (i.e. All of Pokemon, most of Zelda, etc. . .)
You know you've been playing too much Dragon Quest when you're afraid your Hershey's Kisses are going to flee.

I program things

K-NiGhT

*see Dragon Quest IX*