News:

Interested in contributing to the site? Give The Arrangement Formatting Guidelines and The Arranging Checklist a good read!

Main Menu

The NSM RPG

Started by Zunawe, June 07, 2012, 09:00:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

We should include. . .

only medieval weapons with minor upgrades using technology.
10 (62.5%)
futuristic weapons that have been severely weakened, or become extremely rare. (i.e. laser guns with limited shots)
9 (56.3%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Ragster

This is just an idea, but I have some experience in making custom instruments for songs. If you'd like, I can change those basic midi instruments into our own instruments, and give it a more unique sound. Of course, you'd have to use a different format than midi if you'd like to do this, like MP3 or OGG. I would also have to find some samples of the instruments or make my own. Again, just an idea.

NasiDe

I'm doubting I can contribute anything for numerous reasons. One being school (pretty big), two being my focus on arranging, and three (also really big) is my focus on admin-ing the original NSM RPG (a Zelda forum RPG). I'll keep an eye on this just because I haven't really seen any huge comm. projects on NSM besides NSM and the old RPG ages ago though. :)

I really wish I had more to say about this project besides me saying that you have my support and I really hope things go well with this project, but I don't. If I think of anything, I'll surely make comment on it. Best of luck to you, Zunawe and everyone else working on this!!

Zunawe

^Thanks! I wasn't aware there was another RPG.

Quote from: Ragster on June 10, 2012, 02:08:52 PMThis is just an idea, but I have some experience in making custom instruments for songs. If you'd like, I can change those basic midi instruments into our own instruments, and give it a more unique sound. Of course, you'd have to use a different format than midi if you'd like to do this, like MP3 or OGG. I would also have to find some samples of the instruments or make my own. Again, just an idea.

Okay, maybe. When we start I was thinking we could have other threads for each section so that this thread doesn't get cluttered. Maybe you could talk about this on the music thread.
You know you've been playing too much Dragon Quest when you're afraid your Hershey's Kisses are going to flee.

I program things

Taser9090

I'd really love to help, but my skills on each category are so little (no skills whatsoever at composing).

• I've played WarioWare DIY, so I only know basic statements (If something occurs, then make something else happen). But with that, I taught my self how to create small sprites (less than 32x32)
  • I could probably help out with level design, but I'm not too sure how to do this with GM, since I have no experience. I could draw levels on paper and scan them, but that would be a hassle to the other designers

If I'm not helpful at all, may I just ask to see the progress? I plan to major in computer sciences in the future :p

"They say money makes the world go 'round. And what goes around, comes around" ~Rover

Zunawe

WarioWare DIY is a good prerequisite to this language. The difference is that in this you have a lot more freedom, but you have to type out exactly what you need. If you want to try programming, then download GM and familiarize yourself with how it works and look at my game with the .gm81 file to see some examples. I didn't add many comments, so you're gonna have to figure some of it out on your own.

We'll be using small sprites with the max size of, say, a scenery bush being probably 64x64. I'd like to stick to smaller sprites to make it a little easier, but it depends on how the artists feel about it.

Level design doesn't require much. In GM you have rooms. In each room there is a grid that you can change the size of (so you can see squares of 16x6, 32x64, 8x8, etc. . .), and the objects that you place in the room will snap to the top left of the box you click in. Objects will be made by the programmers, so all the level designer has to do is arrange them in a space. All you really need for this is a good sense of what makes a level look good, makes it challenging, makes it possible. You would also design the puzzle layouts.

Really, to sum it up, the writers give the story and set the conversations, the artists design the sprites according to the general story, the programmers make the sprites interact, and the level designers do everything about layout and general game design such as boss tactics or puzzles.

I hope that helps.
You know you've been playing too much Dragon Quest when you're afraid your Hershey's Kisses are going to flee.

I program things

Taser9090

Alright. :D I haven't looked at your game yet, and I'll look at it soon.

Wait, do you have the full GM, or the free version?

"They say money makes the world go 'round. And what goes around, comes around" ~Rover

Zunawe

Free. I haven't had a reason to buy the full version yet because I haven't needed to use the locked features.

I program things

SuperFireKirby

There are alot of useful features in GM Pro, especially if you're coding.

Here's a little outline for how this game could be accomplished:

Step 1: Writing. Writers create the basic story after some discussion on the forums of what elements we like to see go into the story. Members choose specifics for the story throughout the game's creation. After the general outline is approved by the community, the story will be written in full detail.

Step 2: Core game mechanics: This is the programming of the mechanics, but the deciding of what they will be. How will characters fight? What actions can they perform? What should the general look of this game be? These along with other questions should be answered prior to moving on.

Step 3: Concept art. This will include illustrations as well as in-game designs, such as character sprites. Once character designs and the game's overall graphical style are approved by the community, move to Step 3.

Step 4: Basic level design and coding. Level designers and programmers will work closely together for most of the project. The level designers tell the coders what they want to see happen(different game events and so forth within the level) and the programmers make it happen. Level designers and artists will also mingle on how NPCs, environments, structures, and other designs will look.

The programmers will start by programming the playable characters. Specific level oriented programming doesn't need to be done at this point. The level designers create the basic structure of game levels and the programs create the basic events that apply to multiple levels.

Step 5: Specifics. This is where the artists and level designers go to work to make these levels look fabulous. Coders will write level specific events as well as more complicated multi-level events that couldn't be created before hand.

Step 6: Game test, game test game test. Testing game mechanics, making sure the game runs smoothly, and fixing bugs, errors, and design flaws.

Step 7: Music and SFX. Music and sound effects really can't be created until composers have played through the game and know the feel to it. Or, that's how it works in a professional production. Seeing as we may be pressed for time/ don't know how long it will take for composers to create the music/ composers don't wan to be bored, we can have them do it while the game is being made, rather than in post-production.

Step 8: More Game Test, Game Test, Game Test. Maore Game Fix, Game Fix, Game Fix.

Step 9: RELEASE!

Quote from: Mashi on March 26, 2013, 05:54:37 PMAfter viewing both FMA:Brotherhood and Naruto Shippuden, it would be frivolous to even consider watching an anime as unbearably mediocre as Melancholy. NARUTOxHINATA 4 LYFE!!!

Zunawe

Basically exactly what I was envisioning. Also, I think we should build numerous test rooms during the programming of playable characters. It would suck so badly to find a glitch in movement that we have to fix in a bajillion objects.

The composers would work very, very well as testers, actually. They wouldn't know the game much until it was basically done, and testing might give them inspiration. We'll also need two kinds of testers:
   Difficulty Testers (is it easily playable, but still challenging)
   Glitch Finders (Hardcore Gamers)

I program things

Taser9090

I've tried GM on two computers, and they had two problems. One of the problem was with the JIT Debugger, and the other computer could run the application, but it couldn't play the game due to the graphics card (which was strange, since it was upgraded less than two years ago).

It's a shame, though. While I was looking at the program, it reminded me of WarioWare DIY, and it looked just as fun to create games with.

Do Testers need GM to test the games? :|

Ragster

You don't need it to test the game, Game Maker can create stand-alone .exe files.

Dude

SuperFireKirby

Looking at the sign-up list, we have 11 people, 13 if you include Dude and Taser(and outside help). That's a pretty good sized team for a project like this. So, just say the word Zunawe and the writing will commence.

Also, I recommend that everyone either posts or pm's(if it's more personal info) the best way to contact them(ex. cellphone, skype, email, IM)

COMMUNICATION IS VERY IMPORTANT

If you have a Steam account, it's one of the best ways to contact me because I'm logged in almost all the time. My account name is FranceCharleson. That's also my Skype username. But good luck contacting me on Skype.

Quote from: Mashi on March 26, 2013, 05:54:37 PMAfter viewing both FMA:Brotherhood and Naruto Shippuden, it would be frivolous to even consider watching an anime as unbearably mediocre as Melancholy. NARUTOxHINATA 4 LYFE!!!

Zunawe

Okay. I believe that K-NiGhT said he had a story ready, if anybody else has something speak now or forever hold your peace.

K-NiGhT, for now, just put up the basic outline. What is the setting? Who is the hero? Who is the villain? etc. . . Once we have agreed on everything (I don't know why we wouldn't), then I think it would be best to make a new thread for the story. That way this thread wouldn't get cluttered with everybody trying to talk about different aspects of the project, but everybody can still see, and contribute to, the progress of the story.

If you just send me a PM, I'll probably see that before anything else. I don't use Skype or Steam (I've got a terrible computer, so. . .) or any of that other stuff. Phone would probably be fastest, but I don't want to put my phone number anywhere on the internet.

Quote from: Dude on June 11, 2012, 10:15:17 AMI'll help.
With. . ?

I program things

SuperFireKirby

If you want, you can PM your phone number to a few of the people you think would need the most constant communication with you on the project. That's what I plan on doing.

Also, K-Night, since I am listed as a writer, I demand to see this story and approve it. So send it to me, pwetty pwease.