News:

Debate topic for next Tuesday: Are cannons truly valid instruments for an orchestra? Or should they be replaced with something safer, like Tesla coils?

Main Menu

Politics

Started by spitllama, September 05, 2012, 07:15:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SuperFireKirby

Why the fuck are all these gun enthusiasts comparing assault weapons to hammers? Seriously, this is turning into complete bullshit.

Quote from: Mashi on March 26, 2013, 05:54:37 PMAfter viewing both FMA:Brotherhood and Naruto Shippuden, it would be frivolous to even consider watching an anime as unbearably mediocre as Melancholy. NARUTOxHINATA 4 LYFE!!!

Ruto

Let's imitate Homer Simpson and use a gun to open a can of beer, turn on the TV and turn off the lights...no way. Guns are gun and they're meant to kill.

I'm not convinced a lot of gun nuts are sane. The same gun nut that posts on my Facebook comes across to me as a pot smoking, misogynist pig that is barely able to converse in English (grammar/capitalization errors) but tries to sound sophisticated and says things like liberals are idiots and that everyone who wants gun control should be deported. I'd like to see how they can run a country >__>

I seem to be missing a piece of my ear.

BlackDragonSlayer

Quote from: Ruto on January 16, 2013, 01:01:06 PMLet's imitate Homer Simpson and use a gun to open a can of beer, turn on the TV and turn off the lights...no way. Guns are gun and they're meant to kill.

I'm not convinced a lot of gun nuts are sane. The same gun nut that posts on my Facebook comes across to me as a pot smoking, misogynist pig that is barely able to converse in English (grammar/capitalization errors) but tries to sound sophisticated and says things like liberals are idiots and that everyone who wants gun control should be deported. I'd like to see how they can run a country >__>
You seem to be on the whole other end of the spectrum. It depends what you define "gun nut" as.

Owning a gun does not make a person insane; it depends on who you are already and how you use it (for example, keeping a gun in the car just in case somebody tries to attack; taking a gun on a hiking trip just in case we encounter any mountain lions or coyotes). Those people are not pot smokers, misogynists, or non-sophisticated because they own a gun; often, it is the other way around.
And the moral of the story: Quit while you're a head.

Fakemon Dex
NSM Sprite Thread
Compositions
Story Thread
The Dread Somber

Cobraroll

Quote from: BlackDragonSlayer on January 16, 2013, 01:25:46 PM(for example, keeping a gun in the car just in case somebody tries to attack

I'd consider a person pretty high on the paranoia scale if this is one of his regular habits.
Emergence - a story exclusive to NSM

Yes, I'm still around from time to time. For quicker response, you can reach me by PM, or drop by Smogon to say hi. I go by "Codraroll" there, because of a bet.

BlackDragonSlayer

Quote from: Cobraroll on January 16, 2013, 01:49:40 PMI'd consider a person pretty high on the paranoia scale if this is one of his regular habits.
Nowadays, no, it's not that weird or "paranoid" at all. Muggers, people who kill "just to see what it feels like," serial killers... there are too many of those people just roaming the streets.

Fakemon Dex
NSM Sprite Thread
Compositions
Story Thread
The Dread Somber

Waddle Bro

Quote from: Cobraroll on January 16, 2013, 01:49:40 PMI'd consider a person pretty high on the paranoia scale if this is one of his regular habits.
Yeah.

Bubbles

Idk. My mom listens to this crazy lady on siruis radio who thinks that every school, even day cares or whatever should have armed security guards like in airports. Thats ridiculous, I dont think little kids should be growing up thinking its normal to constantly be surrounded by armed officials. Apparently murders are alot more common in America than everywhere else, but what Americans care about any other country? cmon guise srsly

Ruto

Gun nuts like Alex Jones or Kent Hovind and how they say they have a right to do that to stand up to the government. Alex Jones was the guy trying to get the White House to deport Piers Morgan for insulting the Second Amendment. There was a video of the two *debating* somewhere. It's really an embarrassment. Kent Hovind is this religious nutcase that finally got arrested for cheating his taxes despite all the other crap he should have been arrested for. His house got raided and they found rifles/etc there too. That, with his anti-government statements doesn't convince me he's sane.

These people aren't keeping weapons to hunt deer or protect themselves while camping, they really do take the Second Amendment to mean "arming themselves against the government." There are sane people who own guns, but it doesn't stop an insane person from getting them either. Most of these weapons in the shooting sprees were acquired legally and that's a problem. The other problem is that this culture lets people think it's okay to solve problems with violence.

@BDS

Exactly what do you mean by "it is the other way around"?

BlackDragonSlayer

Quote from: Ruto on January 16, 2013, 02:02:55 PMGun nuts like Alex Jones or Kent Hovind and how they say they have a right to do that to stand up to the government. Alex Jones was the guy trying to get the White House to deport Piers Morgan for insulting the Second Amendment. There was a video of the two *debating* somewhere. It's really an embarrassment. Kent Hovind is this religious nutcase that finally got arrested for cheating his taxes despite all the other crap he should have been arrested for. His house got raided and they found rifles/etc there too. That, with his anti-government statements doesn't convince me he's sane.

These people aren't keeping weapons to hunt deer or protect themselves while camping, they really do take the Second Amendment to mean "arming themselves against the government." There are sane people who own guns, but it doesn't stop an insane person from getting them either. Most of these weapons in the shooting sprees were acquired legally and that's a problem. The other problem is that this culture lets people think it's okay to solve problems with violence.

@BDS

Exactly what do you mean by "it is the other way around"?
"Are there no prisons? And the union workhouses... are they still in operation?" :P
People who are that extreme (like true-anarchists) need mental help... of course, a majority of people I've seen- and known- are not that extreme.
People, obviously, have all rights to defend their constitutional rights, but going beyond them (and using them as a "shield," as in your example) is not what the Founding Fathers intended.

What I mean is that those people aren't insane and violent (etc.) because they own guns; they own guns partly because they are already insane and violent (etc.).

Fakemon Dex
NSM Sprite Thread
Compositions
Story Thread
The Dread Somber

Jub3r7

I do carry around a wooden staff around everywhere just in case I need it... XD
It's dangerous to go alone, take me with you! [JUB has joined the party.]

Ruto

Hahaha that's great for suggesting these people have some kind of mental problem xD Generally convincing them otherwise is useless in that case, but the least we could do is to stop them from hurting others.

A quote from the Simpsons:

Akira: We learn karate, so that we need never use it.
Bart:  Um, excuse me, sir.  I already know how not to hit a guy. Can we break out the nunchucks?
Akira: Ah yes, the impetuousness of youth.  For now, let us read...[The Art of War by Sun Tzu]
Bart:  Akira, my good man, when do we break block of ice with our heads?
Akira: First, you must fill you head with wisdom, then you can hit ice with it.
Bart:  Yo, sensei.  Can I go to the bathroom?
Akira: You can if you believe you can.
Bart:  [leaving]  Pay money to read books, pffft.  The hell with this!

I really think this country should be like Akira when it comes to guns xD

SlowPokemon

Quote from: Ruto on January 16, 2013, 04:39:11 PMHahaha that's great for suggesting these people have some kind of mental problem xD Generally convincing them otherwise is useless in that case, but the least we could do is to stop them from hurting others.

A quote from the Simpsons:

Akira: We learn karate, so that we need never use it.
Bart:  Um, excuse me, sir.  I already know how not to hit a guy. Can we break out the nunchucks?
Akira: Ah yes, the impetuousness of youth.  For now, let us read...[The Art of War by Sun Tzu]
Bart:  Akira, my good man, when do we break block of ice with our heads?
Akira: First, you must fill you head with wisdom, then you can hit ice with it.
Bart:  Yo, sensei.  Can I go to the bathroom?
Akira: You can if you believe you can.
Bart:  [leaving]  Pay money to read books, pffft.  The hell with this!

I really think this country should be like Akira when it comes to guns xD

A+++++++++
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

KefkaticFanatic

Quote from: BlackDragonSlayer on January 16, 2013, 02:22:39 PMPeople, obviously, have all rights to defend their constitutional rights, but going beyond them (and using them as a "shield," as in your example) is not what the Founding Fathers intended.

The problem is that people don't realize that the US Constitution is grossly antiquated and much of the intent of amendments such as the 2nd doesn't apply in even close to the same fashion in present times.

Yet they still run around screaming CONSTITUTION SAYS SO U TAKEN AWAY OUR GUNS POLICE STATE etc etc

me irl
[close]

spitllama

http://www.nraila.org/gun-laws/armed-citizen.aspx

You can also find these cases on local news sites. These things actually do happen. There's nothing wrong with wanting to be prepared. My dad has his concealed carry license and there are places where carries regularly:

Movies
Malls
Camping
Downtown
Etc.

Actually, he has it on right now while eating at a local restaurant.

Quote from: Ruto on January 16, 2013, 02:02:55 PMThe other problem is that this culture lets people think it's okay to solve problems with violence.

So if I have a firearm and a man begins shooting in a mall, is it culture's fault and my belief in violence that I would shoot him immediately? What is the proper solution?

I also think it's funny that everyone mocks at the idea of "arming yourself against the government." Governments have AWFUL track records. Enslavement? Mass murder? War? The only difference between a collection of selfish individuals and the government is that the government can legalize its own plunder. And quite frankly, time hasn't changed this. Government is not an institution of rainbows and morality. It is a method of security that citizens keep their guns.

George Mason, co-author of the 2nd amendment said: "Forty years ago, when the resolution of enslaving America was formed in Great Britain, the British Parliament was advised by an artful man who was governor of Pennsylvania, to disarm the people; that it was the best and most effectual way to enslave them; but that they should not do it openly, but weaken them, and let them sink gradually, by totally disusing and neglecting the militia."
Submissions Page
Currently using Finale 2012

Ruto

Quote from: spitllama on January 16, 2013, 06:09:23 PMhttp://www.nraila.org/gun-laws/armed-citizen.aspx

You can also find these cases on local news sites. These things actually do happen. There's nothing wrong with wanting to be prepared. My dad has his concealed carry license and there are places where carries regularly:

Movies
Malls
Camping
Downtown
Etc.

Actually, he has it on right now while eating at a local restaurant.

Good God! We don't live in that kind of world and we shouldn't try to make one. The older folk in America were raised on things like bomb shelter drills and half of Congress would likely remember these when they grew up. But the Russians never invaded America and we had a nuclear war and everyone just lived in a state of fear. How is that better than letting people live without thinking that they could die the next day because of some lunatic?

QuoteSo if I have a firearm and a man begins shooting in a mall, is it culture's fault and my belief in violence that I would shoot him immediately? What is the proper solution?

Try to avoid getting shot and let the police handle it? Before you complain about a slow response, think about how playing the hero would likely involve more people trying to get out of a second set of bullets. What if you get hurt? The gunman's already a step ahead of you---he's planned the attack and probably prepared more than you are. The gunman will probably have armor, multiple weapons, more ammunition...this isn't a movie.

QuoteI also think it's funny that everyone mocks at the idea of "arming yourself against the government." Governments have AWFUL track records. Enslavement? Mass murder? War? The only difference between a collection of selfish individuals and the government is that the government can legalize its own plunder. And quite frankly, time hasn't changed this. Government is not an institution of rainbows and morality. It is a method of security that citizens keep their guns.

George Mason, co-author of the 2nd amendment said: "Forty years ago, when the resolution of enslaving America was formed in Great Britain, the British Parliament was advised by an artful man who was governor of Pennsylvania, to disarm the people; that it was the best and most effectual way to enslave them; but that they should not do it openly, but weaken them, and let them sink gradually, by totally disusing and neglecting the militia."

If the government could kill us all and put us in a worse state than helots, they would have done so already? There's not a chance in hell some guy or a bunch of guys from a town wielding sticks, rifles or handguns could deal with the US Army and their weapons. There isn't a sinister plot here, like these gun nuts I talk about actually suggest.  Modern society doesn't have much in common with colonial times like you think.