News:

Download Finale Notepad 2012 free here!

Main Menu

Politics

Started by spitllama, September 05, 2012, 07:15:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

E. Gadd Industries

I didn't know something as great as this existed! (Although, I'm not sure about that high of %%% for Carson. Sorry, ignore my political bias, it's just the way I was raised :P)
"Everyone is crazy but me"
-The Sign Painter

The entrance to my lab is hidden... somewhere...
Spoiler

[/spoiler
[close]

Dude

Ok so which shitty Republican candidate should I vote for in the primary?

mikey

all politicians lie, tell half-truths, or generally warp facts to their own suiting.  Bernie Sanders is no exception
unmotivated

FireArrow

Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on December 23, 2015, 03:24:35 PMall politicians lie, tell half-truths, or generally warp facts to their own suiting.  Bernie Sanders is no exception
Some more so than others.
Hillary Clinton
Bernie Sanders
Donald Trump
Ben Carson
Ted Cruz
Marco Rubio

And for giggles
Barack Obama

Hillary is the most honest candidate by a large margin, which kinda surprises me. Bernie Sanders, Marco Rubio, and Obama are in the middle. All the other relevant GOPs I bothered to look up don't seem to be very factual. Keep in mind this site simply measures the truth of statements political people make, if telling what you perceive to be the truth counted for anything trump and bernie would be passing with flying colors.
Quote from: Dudeman on January 23, 2017, 05:35:59 PM
straight from the department of redundancy department

Pianist Da Sootopolis

You might as well say there's no such thing as an honest person, then, because everyone does that.
That said, I'd be interested to see what you think of as Sanders' "lies, half-truths," and "generally warped facts", or if you'll just repost the politifact article.
@Dude I'd say Rand Paul, since he's kind of a libertarian. He's far better on foreign policy than any of the other republicans, as well as being better on some social issues.
@FireArrow Keep in mind that Politifact isn't known for their objectivity; they are known for neutrality, but neutrality =/= objectivity.
what is shitpost

Waddle Bro

why are some of those factcheck things up there twice? also doubt you should assume that sanders or any major politician is the one searching all those statistics? pretty much all statistics are given to them by their team, at least when it comes to presidential candidates. point is how if you think you're telling the truth, your intentions doesn't mean you objectively always are.
especially the teams behind billion dollar presidential campaigns(ridiculous amounts imo) are definitely using rhetoric methods to bring the ws home. these false claims i'm looking at on homie are clearly exaggerated instead of made-up bullshit like "obama's classmates don't even remember him" tho. but always take all stats with a grain of salt, but if you look at the big picture, my man bernie has been laying down these words of wisdom and truth like corn flakes in my breakfast bowl.
why i pointed out sanders to you e.gadd bro is because he's the one who has been speaking heavily against the corrupting effect money has on the political process in us, the same problem you have with politicians.

just a general tip for everyone here, left or right, recommending you to take a look at the goal the politician wants to point out instead of how the politician is doing it. if you focus on just the road, you might end up running to a hole that the road led you to.
edit; firearrow, you should also focus on the quality of the facts or lies. a lot of them aren't honestly even that big of a deal that anyone should care about. though while hillary for example makes up her own bullshit of her grandparents and you compare that to anything sanders-false idk it's just interesting to see who's genuinely lying.

Pianist Da Sootopolis

And, as is the tradition in the NSM politics thread, Waddle Bro lays down good knowledge for everyone to contemplate.
what is shitpost

FireArrow

Just using politifact since MLF used it. If he considers it valid evidence against bernie, then it should also be considered valid evidence that most of his (not Rubio ;]) republican candidates are much worse.

Quote from: Waddle Bro on December 23, 2015, 04:03:50 PMedit; firearrow, you should also focus on the quality of the facts or lies. a lot of them aren't honestly even that big of a deal that anyone should care about. though while hillary for example makes up her own bullshit of her grandparents and you compare that to anything sanders-false idk it's just interesting to see who's genuinely lying.

I didn't feel like weeding through that for each person. You could argue though that Bernie's false statements would negatively impact decisions he'd make in office, whereas shit about Hillary's grandparents doesn't really hurt anyone. If we're talking about simply the intention of each candidate not to lie, then a lot of the republicans do a pretty good job of that. Sure, they throw around completely ridiculous things about planned parent hood and Obama, but they probably believe what they're saying.

E. Gadd Industries

XD I know this is off topic from the conversation (but this is the Off-Topic forum), but have you guys seen the Bad Lip Reading videos of the candidate debates on YouTube? XD imo, the democratic debate is funnier XD
"Everyone is crazy but me"
-The Sign Painter

The entrance to my lab is hidden... somewhere...
Spoiler

[/spoiler
[close]

Waddle Bro

Quote from: FireArrow on December 23, 2015, 04:30:52 PMJust using politifact since MLF used it. If he considers it valid evidence against bernie, then it should also be considered valid evidence that most of his (not Rubio ;]) republican candidates are much worse.

I didn't feel like weeding through that for each person. You could argue though that Bernie's false statements would negatively impact decisions he'd make in office, whereas shit about Hillary's grandparents doesn't really hurt anyone. If we're talking about simply the intention of each candidate not to lie, then a lot of the republicans do a pretty good job of that. Sure, they throw around completely ridiculous things about planned parent hood and Obama, but they probably believe what they're saying.
ya you're completely right and thanks for clearing it up, and i mostly meant that mentioning stuff like "people have written over 60 books about me" and that being marked as a true fact(even though it meaningless) raises your average score, making you appear as a more trustworthy person. that's a bit frivolous to me.

FireArrow

Quote from: Waddle Bro on December 23, 2015, 04:39:22 PMya you're completely right and thanks for clearing it up, and i mostly meant that mentioning stuff like "people have written over 60 books about me" and that being marked as a true fact(even though it meaningless) raises your average score, making you appear as a more trustworthy person. that's a bit frivolous to me.

Yeah it's probably not best to use that sight as a way to "tally honesty." My bad.

Sebastian

Quote from: FireArrow on December 23, 2015, 04:30:52 PMJust using politifact since MLF used it. If he considers it valid evidence against bernie, then it should also be considered valid evidence that most of his (not Rubio ;]) republican candidates are much worse.
Actually, I have no clue what that site even is.....Blue told me to post that link O_O

Anyway, tbh, I'm not really following politics too closely. I think I've only watched one of the Republican debates. :P

Here are my current views on politics at the moment and what I think of the candidates:
(my opinion; please respect that)
Ben Carson
I think he has the potential to be a good president, but I honestly don't think he is ready. He just doesn't have enough experience in the field of politics and jumping from neurosurgeon to president might not be the right thing to do. I do agree with most of the things he says and that he does have the potential to be a good leader. I also think that it was pretty stupid of him to say that God gave him the answers to a test in high school :P
I don't think that was true.

Marco Rubio
He is my favorite candidate. I think Rubio would be a great president and I agree with almost everything he says. He has the experience (he worked in politics since 1998, I believe) and the leadership skills.

Alas, I haven't really followed the Democrats.....at all so don't have anything to say about them.
As of now, Marco Rubio is my favorite candidate.

Quote from: Pianist Da Sootopolis on December 23, 2015, 03:57:50 PMYou might as well say there's no such thing as an honest person, then, because everyone does that.
That said, I'd be interested to see what you think of as Sanders' "lies, half-truths," and "generally warped facts", or if you'll just repost the politifact article.
This is true. I don't think there is any candidate running that tells the truth all the time.
There is always going to be warped facts and, as you say, half-truths.

Quote from: Waddle Bro on December 23, 2015, 04:39:22 PMya you're completely right and thanks for clearing it up, and i mostly meant that mentioning stuff like "people have written over 60 books about me" and that being marked as a true fact(even though it meaningless) raises your average score, making you appear as a more trustworthy person. that's a bit frivolous to me.
I don't see anything wrong with promoting yourself or showing off your accomplishments. Take Ben Carson, for example. I've seen these pictures online of his house and people are always saying things like, "What's with all the pictures of yourself on the wall(s)" or "What a proud person. He has a million trophies plastered throughout his house." etc.
If I was a Retired Neurosurgeon that worked very hard at college, has a doctorate, and worked extremely hard (and let's not forget saving lives) all my life, yes, I would have all my accomplishments and trophies all through my house and would "show-off" :P

Pianist Da Sootopolis

Blue can come back and post it himself if he wants to argue on here, lol.
My issue with Rubio is one I have with several candidates; he's been given too much money. The corporations that donate to his (and several others, including Hillary Clinton) campaign, and they know that since they enabled their campaign to be successful, people like Rubio and others won't dare piss them off with any sort of legislation.
Quote from: mariolegofan on December 23, 2015, 04:54:09 PMThis is true. I don't think there is any candidate running that tells the truth all the time.
Then it seems we need a new definition of honest; perhaps someone who in the majority of cases tells what they know to be the truth, does not intentionally manipulate information, etc..
Also keep in mind that honest isn't a concrete yes or no thing, it's not an "your either honest or you aren't". There are certainly degrees of honesty.
what is shitpost

Sebastian

Quote from: Pianist Da Sootopolis on December 23, 2015, 05:30:17 PMBlue can come back and post it himself if he wants to argue on here, lol.
Agreed

Quote from: Pianist Da Sootopolis on December 23, 2015, 05:30:17 PMMy issue with Rubio is one I have with several candidates; he's been given too much money. The corporations that donate to his (and several others, including Hillary Clinton) campaign, and they know that since they enabled their campaign to be successful, people like Rubio and others won't dare piss them off with any sort of legislation.
Perhaps.

Also, I forgot to bring up Donald Trump. I would be very anxious having him as president and think he's one of the worst on the Republican Party. His goals are very far-fetched. Building a wall (as he likes to say time and time again is just stupid) and getting rid of the Islamic people is just as stupid. Having him on the Republican side just makes all the Republicans look bad which does not help anything. If he was president, he'd start a war with every country in the world O_O

FireArrow

Quote from: mariolegofan on December 23, 2015, 04:54:09 PMActually, I have no clue what that site even is.....Blue told me to post that link O_O

Don't blindly listen to other people. I love blue, but when MLF posts I want to hear what MLF has to say.

QuoteAnyway, tbh, I'm not really following politics too closely. I think I've only watched one of the Republican debates. :P
QuoteAlas, I haven't really followed the Democrats.....at all so don't have anything to say about them.

You should probably see what the democrats have to say if you plan on voting. You'd be doing a disservice to your country is you voted someone without a fair consideration of both sides and all viable candidates.

QuoteHere are my current views on politics at the moment and what I think of the candidates:
(my opinion; please respect that)
Ben Carson
I think he has the potential to be a good president, but I honestly don't think he is ready. He just doesn't have enough experience in the field of politics and jumping from neurosurgeon to president might not be the right thing to do. I do agree with most of the things he says and that he does have the potential to be a good leader. I also think that it was pretty stupid of him to say that God gave him the answers to a test in high school :P
I don't think that was true.

The thing about Carson is the BS he says isn't just confined to the one statement about high school.

QuoteMarco Rubio
He is my favorite candidate. I think Rubio would be a great president and I agree with almost everything he says. He has the experience (he worked in politics since 1998, I believe) and the leadership skills.

If experience was you're main interest, then wouldn't Hillary be your gal?

QuoteThis is true. I don't think there is any candidate running that tells the truth all the time.

Some candidates do so more than others. There's just a few issues that you should always try and check politifact or better yet a primary source (please don't use news articles and blogs.)
Notably:
Planned Parent Hood
Obama
Gun Control
Gay Marriage and Adoption
One politician talking about another
etc.

QuoteI don't see anything wrong with promoting yourself or showing off your accomplishments. Take Ben Carson, for example. I've seen these pictures online of his house and people are always saying things like, "What's with all the pictures of yourself on the wall(s)" or "What a proud person. He has a million trophies plastered throughout his house." etc.
If I was a Retired Neurosurgeon that worked very hard at college, has a doctorate, and worked extremely hard (and let's not forget saving lives) all my life, yes, I would have all my accomplishments and trophies all through my house and would "show-off" :P

Most people don't consider narcissism a desirable quality. Though you bring up a good point that it's gonna be hard to find a candidate that isn't that way.