News:

Be sure to tell your friends about NinSheetMusic!

Main Menu

Politics

Started by spitllama, September 05, 2012, 07:15:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikey

Quote from: FireArrow on July 13, 2016, 02:26:52 PMbecause you wouldn't know what it's like to feel strongly about a political stance amirite
but marijuana is such a minor, unimportant thing to actually like complain about
unmotivated

Pianist Da Sootopolis

Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on July 13, 2016, 04:50:19 PMbut marijuana is such a minor, unimportant thing to actually like complain about
Except for the fact that SO many people are in prison for it and have felony charges over something that should be a nonissue.
If you're a banker on Wall Street who helped cause the recession in 08, no charges whatsoever. If you're a poor teenager in Kentucky who grows pot in his basement, 30 to life.
what is shitpost

Altissimo

not to mention we have the highest prison ratio of like any country and um thats not purely violent criminal activity i can tell you that

Pianist Da Sootopolis

Yup, seeing as the % of inmates who have a drug related offense as their main charge was 46.3%

https://www.bop.gov/about/statistics/statistics_inmate_offenses.jsp
what is shitpost

Bubbles

Quote from: Pianist Da Sootopolis on July 13, 2016, 03:21:36 PMThere will be people who treat it this way, of course. But the vast majority of people who use marijuana recreationally are just as in control as people who have a glass of wine with dinner.
idk she literally said "people call it a gateway drug and I'm not going to lie, it is, I've gone to more serious stuff after smoking (but nothing too scary)". Aside from her and just from my own personal experience I've watched dozens of people pick it up and slowly form habits from it, which in and of itself is fine I guess, but I haven't seen a single one of them take a turn for the better or even stay in the place they were. I know too many people who got in a lot of messed up shit from it so I feel there's got to be something there that separates it from an evening glass of wine.

If I had to pick a stance I would say don't legalize it, but at least decriminalize it. Stop imprisoning offenders and instead fine them for using or selling, start taking measures to release those already jailed. I just feel like completely legalizing it sends the wrong message that it's not as easily abused or life consuming as it is

Altissimo

the same could be said about alcohol tho tbh

Pianist Da Sootopolis

Something being possibly addictive isn't reason to keep it banned, though; we allow cigarettes and alcohol and caffeine, even though they can all become addictive.
I also know people who smoke pot. The majority handle it fine, some don't, as with anything.
Quote from: Bubbles on July 13, 2016, 09:44:07 PMI know too many people who got in a lot of messed up shit from it so I feel there's got to be something there that separates it from an evening glass of wine.
How many people can you think of, off the top of your head, that have had issues with alcohol?
what is shitpost

TheZeldaPianist275

I don't want to get involved in a political discussion on an online forum lol, but I just wanted to chime in and completely agree with Bubbles.  I don't necessarily think it should be legalized, but I think it should have punishments for violations significantly reduced.  It really doesn't do anything except hurt people to have straight-up criminal punishments for weed.  Prisons are for other people.

BlackDragonSlayer

Quote from: Pianist Da Sootopolis on July 13, 2016, 10:01:51 PMHow many people can you think of, off the top of your head, that have had issues with alcohol?
I would suggest banning alcohol as well, but the problem with that is that we're at a stage in our society where that would cause a whole lot of uproar (and I doubt that's going to change any time soon, considering the long history of people drinking the stuff :P).
And the moral of the story: Quit while you're a head.

Fakemon Dex
NSM Sprite Thread
Compositions
Story Thread
The Dread Somber

Bubbles

Quote from: Pianist Da Sootopolis on July 13, 2016, 10:01:51 PMHow many people can you think of, off the top of your head, that have had issues with alcohol?
A whole lot less than those who have problems with weed.

I'm not saying the problem is the addictiveness necessarily, it's the results that could come from being hooked for a long time, like thinking you're comfortable with your or a friend's high self, prioritizing funds away from something else, etc. You can't compare it to being addicted to caffeine because of the state of mind the users experience--a little caffeine would have a v different effect on a driver than a little marijuana. And I'm not sure alcohol can be considered a gateway substance to anything stronger, at least not to the same extent

My friend smokes all the time while driving and she "only got in one accident!!", another was almost raped when she went smoking with a guy (and she said she almost couldn't stop him bc of how messed up she was), and I watched a very close guy friend pick it up and slowly cut himself off from everyone around him. I know there were other issues going on but I know he at least went to other people for help and seemed to want it too before he started smoking

tldr: I don't know of anyone who smoked recreationally and didn't have it take some turn for the worse whether or not they were even aware of it. I know lots of people who can drink alcohol and caffeine without losing their sense of self but I haven't seen anything yet to make me believe weed deserves legalization

And banning alcohol?? Did you skip the 1920s in history class or

BlackDragonSlayer

Quote from: Bubbles on July 14, 2016, 03:18:08 AMAnd banning alcohol?? Did you skip the 1920s in history class or
That was kind of an over-the-top joke because PDS (bonus quote from Altissimo!) previously said stuff like:
Quote from: Pianist Da Sootopolis on July 13, 2016, 03:20:44 PMb) it's not nearly as dangerous a drug as already legal substances such as alcohol and tobacco (and therefore locking people up for its use is ridiculous)
Quote from: Pianist Da Sootopolis on July 13, 2016, 10:01:51 PMwe allow cigarettes and alcohol and caffeine, even though they can all become addictive.
QuoteHow many people can you think of, off the top of your head, that have had issues with alcohol?
Quote from: Altissimo on July 13, 2016, 09:54:35 PMthe same could be said about alcohol tho tbh

Not to mention that you clearly missed me pointing that out anyway! :P I get your overall point, though: you're trying to say that we should keep as many addictive substances away as possible (though I also believe that our current methods of doing so are sloppy, ineffective, and impractical at best); I was merely pointing out (through attempted humor) that, even though PDS points out that alcohol is probably more dangerous, banning it is a lot more impractical when compared to something like, say, marijuana.

Fakemon Dex
NSM Sprite Thread
Compositions
Story Thread
The Dread Somber

Altissimo

banning alcohol would be really dumb and impractical, anyone who doesn't realize that does need to read up on history. that said though i can dream lol

BlackDragonSlayer

yes that is what i said

Fakemon Dex
NSM Sprite Thread
Compositions
Story Thread
The Dread Somber

Altissimo

i know im just throwing in my own opinion

mikey

people will do what they want, so why bother making things illegal?
unmotivated