News:

Interested in contributing to the site? Give The Arrangement Formatting Guidelines and The Arranging Checklist a good read!

Main Menu

Politics

Started by spitllama, September 05, 2012, 07:15:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SlowPokemon

^agree with everything, except for two parts:

1. Peaceful protest is perfectly okay and legitimate and is what our country is all about. It's only the rioting and violence that's awful.
2. Flag burning is an absolutely acceptable form of protest and self-expression.

But your part about tumblr is pretty accurate. There are decent people there but mostly it's just kids wanting attention--that's fine, but not always to be taken seriously.
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

FireArrow

Yeah, peaceful protest =/= hate crimes done in the name of the president.
Quote from: Dudeman on January 23, 2017, 05:35:59 PM
straight from the department of redundancy department

mikey

flag burning means you hate america right?  So why are you still here, please leave if it's so bad
that's my logic anyway
unmotivated

Dudeman

Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on November 12, 2016, 01:05:50 PMflag burning means you hate america right?
...isn't that no different than any other act of protest happening right now? Plenty of people are saying they hate America right now in a variety of ways; burning a flag or two isn't any more extreme. If anything, I'd say burning an effigy sends a much stronger message, and I know that's happening.
Quote from: braixen1264 on December 03, 2015, 03:52:29 PMDudeman's facial hair is number 1 in my book

mikey

burning an effigy means you hate the person you just burned.
maybe I'm just thinking too nationalistically cause it seems very disrespectful in the extreme
unmotivated

Pianist Da Sootopolis

Flags are symbols of what your country stands for; to me, flag burning as a result of this election is trying to communicate that what our country just did is NOT in alignment with your values.

Sure, it's a bit extreme.

It's not like anyone tried to protest similar things by just taking a knee at a football game, did they?

You know what else is extreme? Having a president endorsed by the KKK, who's going on trial for fraud and has inspired the worst niches of America to be public.
what is shitpost

Dude

The flag burning thing is more of a (dis)respect thing iirc

KefkaticFanatic

The analytical view: the burning of the American flag is the protest's way to exclaim in the most direct and explicit way possible their feeling of total disconnect in the direction the nation is degressing towards, and what the USA was meant to stand for as a nation.  It is a declaration that a nation under the rule of an icon of bigotry is no longer America.

The realistic view: mob mentality

me irl
[close]

blueflower999

Quote from: Pianist Da Sootopolis on November 12, 2016, 02:05:55 PMHaving a president endorsed by the KKK
Hillary Clinton was literally mentored by a Klansman. Trump has zero control over who endorses him.
Bulbear! Blueflower999

mikey

unmotivated

KefkaticFanatic

See, this is the kind of shit I'm talking about. Dodging the problem at hand and throwing out meaningless connections like that makes you no less guilty than the ones calling for lynchings.  If you think that kind of hatred isn't acceptable, then you should call out anyone and everyone, regardless of their affiliation.

me irl
[close]

Sebastian

Quote from: KefkaticFanatic on November 12, 2016, 05:12:47 PMSee, this is the kind of shit I'm talking about. Dodging the problem at hand and throwing out meaningless connections like that makes you no less guilty than the ones calling for lynchings.
Uh, no. Blueflower literally responded to PDS' post which isn't "dodging" in any way.
Refusing to see that Hillary has the same issue doesn't mean she doesn't have it. I don't think that that is a "meaningless connection."

Quote from: KefkaticFanatic on November 12, 2016, 05:12:47 PMIf you think that kind of hatred isn't acceptable, then you should call out anyone and everyone, regardless of their affiliation.
Once again, you can't control whom you're endorsed by. Being endorsed by the KKK doesn't constitute "hate" on Trump's part.

Spoiler
[close]

Olimar12345

Lol, the ol' "I can't be a ____ist, I have a ___ friend!"
Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

mikey

Quote from: Olimar12345 on November 12, 2016, 05:37:01 PMLol, the ol' "I can't be a ____ist, I have a ___ friend!"

I can't be a humanist, I have a human friend!
unmotivated

Sebastian

Quote from: Olimar12345 on November 12, 2016, 05:37:01 PMLol, the ol' "I can't be a ____ist, I have a ___ friend!"
I don't know about Trump, but personally I wouldn't want ____ friends if I was a _____ist.