News:

New to the site? Introduce yourself here!

Main Menu

Difficulty ratings on the website

Started by Bubbles, October 13, 2012, 01:05:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bubbles

The difficulty of the different sheets on the website varies, but I think there should be some little symbol or word next to the name of the sheet indicating the difficulty of the piece. Another website where I sometimes gets sheets does that (here), and it doesnt seem to be that space-consuming or cluttered. I know that the moderators are trying to keep submissions and other things running right now, but other than rating all the different sheets this should be a relatively simple thing to do and would make the site more appealing to visitors

JDMEK5

*Hits head trying to remember something from long ago*

Difficulty ratings.... Where have I heard that before?.. Oh well, I can't find it.
I can't help but think this has been discussed before though....

It's a neat idea in my opinion. But we've got some issues to look at:
1) We're already struggling trying to get updates to happen; much less have the time to completely change the site like that.
It doesn't sound like a big change, but when you have to go through - how many is it? 2116? - 2116 sheets one-by-one, it really gets exhausting.
2) We'd have to go though each and every sheet, check how hard it is, and then change it.
3) It may be hard keeping it relative to everybody. What's simple for one person might be unbelievably hard for another.
(Like me: I never dreamed I'd be able to play the SMW Athletic theme, much less the crazy one here on NSM because of it's 3-note chords in the left hand.
But here I am, about 3 years later, playing it every day!)

We've got a few problems to deal with first...
"Today's goal strongly involves not dying. Because nobody likes to wake up dead."

My Arrangements
Finale Version(s): Finale Notepad 2012, Finale 2012, Finale v26

Bubbles

I know what you mean by the updating problem, and Im sure this has been discussed before. Im not saying it has to be done right now, or even all at once. There doesnt need to be that mant different ratings, just Easy Medium and Hard, which each should have a large distance between them. Im sure if some people from the forums all banded together, 2116 sheets shouldnt take more than 6 months at the most (if they stay motivated, that is)

Olimar12345

Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

MaestroUGC

The best way to do a difficulty system is to have people rate them as they find it, and display the average (like with a 5-star rating, 5 being the hardest) that way people can judge accordingly and then give their opinion of the sheet. Of course that would require some redesign of the site to implement, if I'm not mistaken.
Try to do everything; you're bound to succeed with at least one.

Shadoninja

New drinking game: take a shot every time someone brings up difficulty ratings
"And so my saga of quoting myself in everyone's signature continues" - dudeman

Bubbles

Quote from: Olimar12345 on October 13, 2012, 02:29:23 PM
Quote from: Shadoninja on October 13, 2012, 07:16:35 PMNew drinking game: take a shot every time someone brings up difficulty ratings
Well. Just trying to be helpful XD

But Maestro has a point

Jamaha

Yes, the easiest way to do this would be outsourcing the rating to the community.

However, as Maestro said, it's not possible to do so with the current system, nor it's worth it to implement. When/if I get the new system made, it might be possible.

Speaking of the new system: Yes, I've been talking about doing it for years now. Right now I'm in a situation where I really want to do it, but I don't have time. Turns out university is a ton of work this year.

fabbemannen

Quote from: Jamaha on October 14, 2012, 04:04:02 AMit's not possible to do so with the current system
Why? Not saying that I think it should be implemented on an outdated site (which hopefully will be updated one day), but I mostly wonder why

Jamaha

Well, okay. It's possible but I just can't be bothered when there are other more important issues first.