Some Questions I Have

Started by BonusPwnage, November 02, 2012, 03:09:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BonusPwnage

Okay. I've been visiting NinSheet for a while and decided to register so I could arrange music. I have a few questions about things I don't understand, though:

Is Finale2012 the best program for arranging music?
I've already started using it for one arrangement, but I've noticed that nit everyone else is using it...

Do I need to start a forum on the "Submissions" page to put my arrangements on?
I've seen that a lot of other users have done so and I'm not sure if I'm supposed to or not.

What is the maximum amount of arrangements I can submit per update?
I think I saw someone say 4 somewhere, but I've seen users with deafening amounts of sheet music and I wasn't entirely sure they submitted only 4 every update.

PDF, MUS, and MID format?
I've read that my arrangements have to be put into that format. Do others do that for me when I submit an arrangement or do I have to do it (and if I do, then how would I do that)?

Thank you for your time and support. I really do appreciate it if you can answer these questions to further enhance my overall experience with NSM. Thanks!

Bubbles

Welcome! :D

1. You dont have to per se, but if you want them to be accepted to the site and basically be used by anyone who has finale then yes you should use it. I dont think its the best though, or at least the version I use isnt

2. It would be best, yes

3. Right now were working on just getting arrangements up, but Im sure thatll be told later

4. Again, you dont have to ( I think) but it would make things alot easier. If you use Finale then when you save it the default is a MUS file. You can change the settings in the save bar to save it as a MIDI, but for a PDF youll have to download a program or something to make them.

Anyone feel free to correct me on everything :P

BonusPwnage

Thank you very much! This really helps me out.

Shadoninja

Is Finale2012 the best program for arranging music?
Depends on who you speak to. I would say it is but that's because i've been using it for so long and I know most of the ins and outs. There are others who would say that Musescore is the best.
You don't need the full version of finale, though it does help. You can make due with any of the lesser versions.
If you can spend money, I would recommend Songwriter or Printmusic. Notepad has many limitations, but I have a template that can be used to workaround them.

Do I need to start a forum on the "Submissions" page to put my arrangements on?
No, but it's helpful for feedback. I would recommend putting new submissions there first before submitting it to the site.

What is the maximum amount of arrangements I can submit per update?
Currently 4, both new and replacements. There is currently talk of having only 1 submission per update to speed up the update process.

PDF, MUS, and MID format?
You have to provide it, though you can ask others to make the files for you.

MUS: Normal save function.
MIDI: Use Save as... and choose "MIDI file (.mid)" " under "Save as type:"
PDF: Follow this guide: http://www.ninsheetm.us/smf/index.php?topic=2223.msg102555#msg102555
"And so my saga of quoting myself in everyone's signature continues" - dudeman

TheZeldaPianist275

Quote from: Shadoninja on November 03, 2012, 07:38:34 PMIs Finale2012 the best program for arranging music?
Depends on who you speak to. I would say it is but that's because i've been using it for so long and I know most of the ins and outs. There are others who would say that Musescore is the best.
You don't need the full version of finale, though it does help. You can make due with any of the lesser versions.
If you can spend money, I would recommend Songwriter or Printmusic. Notepad has many limitations, but I have a template that can be used to workaround them.

I love MuseScore, but Finale is better.  MuseScore is just a better alternative based on cost.

BonusPwnage

If I use Finale2012, can I make any clef, time signature, or key changes in the middle of the piece? Also, I don't hear a song repeat when I play it back, even though they're there on the page. Is that normal?

Greg

The full version lets you do that for sure.

Make sure you set the repeat to cause a playback effect (should be in a popup when you place the repeat).

BonusPwnage

Do I have to pay for the full version?

Shadoninja

Quote from: BonusPwnage on November 06, 2012, 06:42:30 PMDo I have to pay for the full version?
Yes. You'll have to pay for all versions of Finale except Notepad.

TheZeldaPianist275

Quote from: BonusPwnage on November 06, 2012, 06:42:30 PMDo I have to pay for the full version?

Unfortunately, yup.  It's like, what, $200?

Shadoninja

Quote from: TheZeldaPianist275 on November 06, 2012, 06:45:51 PMUnfortunately, yup.  It's like, what, $200?
Around $600, less if you upgrade from a lesser version that you paid for.

Bubbles

They make you pay for the newer version if you already bought a previous version? Thats really cheap. Unless its like unlocking more tools, but they should still just give you everything for one price

Shadoninja

Quote from: Bubbles7689 on November 06, 2012, 06:55:00 PMThey make you pay for the newer version if you already bought a previous version? Thats really cheap. Unless its like unlocking more tools, but they should still just give you everything for one price
Each version gets more stuff.
http://www.finalemusic.com/finale/compare/CompareFeatures.aspx

could you elaborate on what you mean with your last statement?
"but they should still just give you everything for one price"

Bubbles

I meant that unless they have other restricted version like notepad, it would be better to just give one price and then for every upgraded versoin make it a free download, sort of like when you update an app on an iPod or other Apple device. I had no idea what the different versions had, but I guess it kinda makes sense for something that costs $600 to have lower priced versions than a $1 app

TheZeldaPianist275

Quote from: Shadoninja on November 06, 2012, 06:51:51 PMAround $600, less if you upgrade from a lesser version that you paid for.

HOLY COW.  Did not see that coming.

I was considering switching from MuseScore, too....