News:

NinSheetMusic is the LARGEST video game sheet music archive on the entire internet worldwide!

Main Menu

My Philosophy Essay on Pokemon Mystery Dungeon

Started by Nebbles, December 02, 2012, 08:38:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nebbles

because you all asked for me to post it :P

Are we still the same person if we happen to lose our memories? John Locke questions this, offering that consciousness is what makes up us as persons. If our consciousness is somehow altered, as long as it is our consciousness, we are still as one and our bodies do not change. In other situations, such as being the same person in a different body, we can still be who we are as long as our minds are intact. These thoughts are present in many modern day movies, TV shows, books, comics and even video games. The common character of the "amnesiac" goes through ideals wondering if they are still the same person they were before their memory loss, and if their life and return to normal. Some characters have completely altered appearances, along with no memory, and the question arises: "Are you the same person you were beforehand?". A certain video game named Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Blue Rescue Team brings both those tropes into one character, and the focus of the game is you struggling to find out your purpose on a new world, with memory of only your name and nothing else. The main storyline of the game captures Locke's philosophy quite well, matching the comparison humans and animals, having no one recognize you in a completely new body.

The game starts out with the main character waking up in an unknown world in a completely new body. They – or you, even – are lost in every aspect and have no idea of why they are there. In moments, they are greeted by another pokemon, and soon find out they have to rescue others who are trapped. As the story progresses, the main idea of memory loss of the main character comes into play. They have no idea who are they are, or why they're a human who has been transformed into a pokemon. There are certain scenes were the main character has odd dreams, and as the plot reaches its climax, you are told the main purpose you are here is to save the world from impending disaster. Not only that, you specifically requested for your memory to be erased. This way, whether human or not, the main character is ultimately the same person. They, as a human, were fully aware of their mission, and relearned it as a pokemon. As Locke would say, consciousness determines personal identity and not matter. If you truly believe in what your destiny is, no matter what body you are in, you are still the same person with the same set of beliefs. At the very end of the main story, they are almost brought back to the human world, but make the decision to remain as a pokemon. As Locke states, "Consciousness alone unites actions into the same person."

Another very interesting character that brings Locke's philosophy into thought is the main villain. Not revealed until after the game's main story line, you find out that he once was a human too, but retained no memory loss. The villain seemingly knows much about the main character, and tries to hinder their plans to save the planet. The villain was turned into a pokemon due to their bad nature, and still has memory of that. They try to hide this, though, negating the idea that consciousness makes up personal identity, not matter. They are still the same person, whether they want to believe it or not. The villain does this in an attempt hide their past and the guilt it brings upon them. "But though the same immaterial substance or soul does not alone, wherever it be, and in whatsoever state, make the same man; yet it is plain, consciousness, as far as ever it can be extended- should it be to ages past- unites existences and actions very remote in time into the same person, as well as it does the existences and actions of the immediately preceding moment: so that whatever has the consciousness of present and past actions, is the same person to whom they both belong", is what Locke says, making the villain the same person they are no matter what. Their actions from the past still exist and the memories do as well, and they are still the same person.

Locke's philosophy is a good one to follow, as it as a very good foundation to stand on, and his arguments go hand-in-hand with this game. Other than applying his philosophy to a series I love with all my heart, I agree with his argument. If I were to lose my memory, I would still be the same person. My body wouldn't change, even if a part of my consciousness were lost. I am not a different person if I do not remember small parts of my childhood, or even what I had for dinner a month ago. As long as consciousness is still present, you are the same person and that fact won't change. Even if my mind was swapped with someone else's, and I happened to be in a different body, again, that wouldn't change who I am. My physical appearance would be altered, but my consciousness would remain unchanged. This way, I'm still the same person, as you or anyone else would be in situations as such.

From the evidence reviewed, it can be seen that the idea of memory loss is very common throughout several forms of media. Overall, the basis of Locke's philosophy states that we are the same person as long as our consciousness is still present. As evidenced in Pokemon Mystery Dungeon, the main character and the villain still are the same people despite the drastic change in physical appearance. While the focus is more on the main character and their memory loss, one can't forget the villain tries to change who he is, despite his consciousness locking him into the same being. Even presented with the option of being human again and regaining their old memories, the main character stays a pokemon to remain with their partner and what current memories their consciousness offers. Yet, as said, that fails to change who they are, and they are the still the same person through and through. 
Quote from: Dudeman on April 13, 2016, 04:54:04 PM
- Nebbles, the beauty with the heart of frozen steel

K-NiGhT

That was fantastic. I hope you get/got an A >:0
Quote from: K-NiGhT on April 11, 2024, 11:54:48 AMwow, 20 years

*crumbles into dust and blows away in the wind*

Kman96

Party Hard!
[close]

Yugi

I don't know why, but I kept thinking about this Locke when you kept mentioning hin

SuperFireKirby

Quote from: Mashi on March 26, 2013, 05:54:37 PMAfter viewing both FMA:Brotherhood and Naruto Shippuden, it would be frivolous to even consider watching an anime as unbearably mediocre as Melancholy. NARUTOxHINATA 4 LYFE!!!

blueflower999

^You must.

Very well done. I wish people would appreciate the stories and lessons that video games can teach us. There's something different about them. Instead of reading a book, or watching a movie, you're actually in control (in various degrees, depending on the game) of what happens in the plot. This makes it my personal favorite, and most effective, way of telling a story. Excellent job.

If, by some chance, your teacher is one of those anti-video game fanatics, like some that I happen to know, you should show him/her this thread.
Bulbear! Blueflower999

SuperFireKirby

Quote from: Mashi on March 26, 2013, 05:54:37 PMAfter viewing both FMA:Brotherhood and Naruto Shippuden, it would be frivolous to even consider watching an anime as unbearably mediocre as Melancholy. NARUTOxHINATA 4 LYFE!!!

blueflower999

As soon as you admit that Cutter Kirby pwns Fire Kirby.  ::)
Bulbear! Blueflower999

EFitTrainr

I like food.

Nebbles

the essay hasn't been graded yet this is very stressful omg
Quote from: Dudeman on April 13, 2016, 04:54:04 PM
- Nebbles, the beauty with the heart of frozen steel

SuperFireKirby

Quote from: blueflower999 on December 03, 2012, 06:51:43 PMAs soon as you admit that Cutter Kirby pwns Fire Kirby.  ::)
WHAT?!?! Cutter Kirby is, like, one of the worst abilities! Though Fire, admittedly, isn't all that great either, nor is it one of my favorites. Sword, Fighter, Parasol, Hi Jump, and Hammer are teh best original abilities imo. Spear and Water are probably my favorite newer ones. Ninja is pretty fun too, but it kinda sucks.

TheZeldaPianist275

Oooh.  I like.  A lot.

One suggestion: first person generally isn't considered professional in formal writing.  You can easily obliterate that by changing "I" to "one."  Just a thought

EDIT:  Saw this
Quote from: Nebbles on December 03, 2012, 06:55:54 PMthe essay hasn't been graded yet this is very stressful omg

>.< This is awkward

Yugi

Quote from: SuperFireKirby on December 03, 2012, 07:40:18 PMWHAT?!?! Cutter Kirby is, like, one of the worst abilities! Though Fire, admittedly, isn't all that great either, nor is it one of my favorites. Sword, Fighter, Parasol, Hi Jump, and Hammer are teh best original abilities imo. Spear and Water are probably my favorite newer ones. Ninja is pretty fun too, but it kinda sucks.
In my opinion, both Fire and Cutter kirby suck, but as cutter does more range, it is the more powerful choice.

SuperFireKirby

Depends on which games your playing. Some Kirby games combine Fire and Flame into one, so you get both the fire breathe and the charge attack which is nice but still not that great. Cutter is decent in some games which include a fast short ranged attack(this is where Kirby's Up + B attack comes from in SSB). But overall, their both still not that great.

Wow, this is just a tad bit off topic.

Have you found out you grade yet, Nebby?