Arrangement Project (Pokemon Black 2/White 2)

Started by Yugi, December 26, 2012, 04:08:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yugi

holy shit this topic's active again this is the greatest day of my life.

JDMEK5

Quote from: spitllama on February 17, 2013, 08:11:08 PMThen they suck for making a sucky arrangement
Good point.

And why is the topic icon a mad face?
"Today's goal strongly involves not dying. Because nobody likes to wake up dead."

My Arrangements
Finale Version(s): Finale Notepad 2012, Finale 2012, Finale v26

Yugi

Yugi

So remove all the Claimed by?

Arranging a better version of Battle! Rival and good lord arranging a song entirely by Ear is annoying.

Also compressing Bespinben's arrangment of Kanto Champion and posting it under two names (but  giving all credit to bespinben, I am a kind person).

Jompa

I apologize to FireArrow as I say that the Floccesy Town arrangement is an absolute mess.

The accidentals are wrong almost 90% of the time.
I can spot A LOT of wrong notes. And as well, the overall feeling of a lot of the chords are just wrong, caused by the fact that they are incorrect in many places.
It is 99% unplayable.
The balance of the song that has been put into the arrangement is actually very bad.
In addition to being unplayable, it is as good as unreadable.
The key change isn't present. (Though some people might discuss how important it is..)
Copyright is wrong, if anyone cares.
I don't know where to start with the dynamics.
Use of layers is a mess, but that goes under readability..
Composer isn't specified correctly (Go Ichinose)

ALSO:
The key signature:
We all know that C#major and Dbmajor enharmonically are the same key signatures.
The thing about C#major is that it has 7 sharps, while Dbmajor has 5 flats.
So which key signature one would choose isn't too strict. In fact, choosing Dbmajor, like FireArrow did, would be the preferred key for most instruments, like the piano, or the trombone or the saxophone (though not for string instruments), because of readability.
BUT:
In this song, there is a key change.
It changes from C#major/Dbmajor to Emajor.
Emajor is a key with 4 sharps:
It is totally idiotic (in this kinda case) to go from 5 flats to 4 sharps, when you could go from 7 sharps to 4 sharps <-- which would basically be like going into minor.
And the alternative would be to go from Dbmajor to Fbmajor, with 8 flats, but that isn't possible in actuality, because there aren't 8 steps to put flats on! (Double flats aren't allowed!)
Therefore you could say that this song isn't in Dbmajor at all! It is in C#major, making FireArrow's choice of key signature wrong.
And even though some people could argue that the key change itself, isn't TOTALLY necessary to be present, it still changes into Emajor regardless, so it wouldn't change anything..

I will compliment the use of articulation though! It's good, and a lot of people tend to leave them out in their arrangements.

All in all, the arrangement FireArrow did shouldn't be accepted.
I'm sorry for being so mean right now, but it is the truth, and me pointing this out is the first step to have it fixed, right? :)

I have a four hands arrangement of it, so if anyone want to they could try to reduce it into two hands..
Or FireArrow could possibly use this if he's gonna fix his arrangement!

Floccesy Town
--------------------
MUS
MIDI
PDF
Birdo for Smash

FireArrow

Quote from: Jompa on March 21, 2013, 07:55:38 AM~stuff~

You are 200% correct. Yugi, just remove it until I bother to fix it. To be honest though, I'm probably gonna have to start from scratch and do it by ear if I want to fix it; it's pretty much copy-pasted from a midi. We'll be better off just compressing your duet Jompa.

On a different note, I still need to upload White Tree Hollow, though I'm a bit scared to now.  ;)
Quote from: Dudeman on January 23, 2017, 05:35:59 PM
straight from the department of redundancy department

Jompa

Birdo for Smash

FireArrow

Quote from: Jompa on March 21, 2013, 02:51:51 PMI'm sorry for being a bitch :/

No - I deserved it. I shouldn't be submitting horrible arrangements to a serious arrangement project. Anyways, I can only improve from criticism.

White Tree Hollow: [MUS] [MID] [PDF]

So, I got Finale Print music (yay!) which was a life saver for this arrangement. I wasn't sure how to properly make the voices come together around measure 5, but I tried to make it playable (point out anything that needs to be changed!)

Jompa

Wow, that's much better!! :)
I want to say is that you might wanna pay attention to playability, for instance at measure#6 where that E2-F3 chord is kinda hard to reach, but it's not really that important :)
And the way that measure is notated is kinda clumsy anyways, especially the dotted eight break - you don't normally dot breaks! (which happens in other places as well).
Accidentals seem fine!
In measure#9 & #10 it is not necessary to tie together the quarters with the sixteenths, it just looks messy. Just remove the sixteenths and leave the quarters on their own, it's good enough like that! :)

Good job! :)
Birdo for Smash

FireArrow

Thanks! Before I change anything; would it be better to just hide the rests or are they necessary for that part?

Yugi

FireArrow

Haha, not really considering we need someone to do Floccesy Town now.  ;)

CLBGM

Yugi, can I claim the "Title" theme? Please, let me now.

Yugi