News:

Debate topic for next Tuesday: Are cannons truly valid instruments for an orchestra? Or should they be replaced with something safer, like Tesla coils?

Main Menu

Swing in the L.H.

Started by spitllama, January 01, 2013, 03:17:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spitllama

I need to apply swing style (expression tool --> tempo marks --> swing) to just the left-hand. More specifically, I need it to apply to one of two layers within the left-hand. Anyone know how to do this?
Submissions Page
Currently using Finale 2012

Bloop

I think I have something, but I'm not sure if it works. I'm going to edit this post later on, let's see if it works.

EDIT: It works.

Step 1: Go to the instrument list (Windows -> Instrument List)
Step 2: Open Staff 2 (Click on the box with the arrow next to the Staff Name)
Step 3: Change the instrument of Layer 2 into a new instrument (Piano 2 or something).
Step 4: ...
Step 5: Profit!

EDIT 2: Wait, this also applies swing to the right hand. I don't know how to fix that.

EDIT 3: Sorry for all this editing... Heh. Wait a moment

EDIT 4:

Step 1: Go to the Instrument List (Window -> Instrument List)
Step 2: Open Staff 1 (Click on the box with the arrow next to the staff name)
Step 3: Change the instrument of Layer 2 to something like Piano 2. (Press instrument -> New Instrument...)
Step 4: Do the same with Staff 2.
Step 5: Apply swing to the staff.
Step 6: Go to Edit Expression Assignment (Right click the expression)
Step 7: Edit "On Playback, Affect:" to "Layer 2".
Step 8: ...?
Step 9: Profit!

Shadoninja

You'll have to split the Piano part in the Score Manager to two separate instruments.
Change layer 2's channel to 2.
Create your swing expression and place it in the bottom staff.

All Measures.
Use the staff tool and add a group and bracket or go to the group attributes.
Full Piano Name: Piano
Abbreviated: Pno.
Change the top staff and bottom staff accordingly.
Third Bracket option from the right
Distance from the left edge: -0.04167
"And so my saga of quoting myself in everyone's signature continues" - dudeman

spitllama

Thanks guys! Part I'm stuck on is this:

Quote from: Bloop on January 01, 2013, 03:41:03 PMStep 5: Apply swing to the staff.

Quote from: Shadoninja on January 01, 2013, 04:09:33 PMCreate your swing expression and place it in the bottom staff.

The swing expression only wants to apply (hook onto) the R.H.
Submissions Page

Shadoninja

Quote from: spitllama on January 01, 2013, 06:28:01 PMThanks guys! Part I'm stuck on is this:

The swing expression only wants to apply (hook onto) the R.H.
Don't create a tempo marking. Use technique text or miscellaneous

Bloop

Or just move it to the left hand. The playback (in my version) only affects layer 2, so it shouldn't be a problem that it's hooked onto the right hand. Unless you have layer 2 in the right hand.

spitllama

This is for a different piece, but it's still applicable (thank you again for all the help before)

Now I can't figure out how to stop swinging! I applied Swing!, but now I need to go back to straight allegro. Applying a separate allegro tempo mark does nothing. Any tips? I'm pretty sure there's something like a "swing meter" but I'd think there's be an easier fix.
Submissions Page

Shadoninja

Quote from: spitllama on January 08, 2013, 08:24:06 PMThis is for a different piece, but it's still applicable (thank you again for all the help before)

Now I can't figure out how to stop swinging! I applied Swing!, but now I need to go back to straight allegro. Applying a separate allegro tempo mark does nothing. Any tips? I'm pretty sure there's something like a "swing meter" but I'd think there's be an easier fix.
Have you tried setting swing to 0?

spitllama

Yah that was the "swing meter" I was talking about. I was mostly looking for a simpler fix, but if that's it then okay!

What would be an appropriate way to write that expression for a reader? Just write in "End Swing?" Or "Allegro m.m. 120?"
Submissions Page

Shadoninja

Quote from: spitllama on January 08, 2013, 08:33:59 PMYah that was the "swing meter" I was talking about. I was mostly looking for a simpler fix, but if that's it then okay!

What would be an appropriate way to write that expression for a reader? Just write in "End Swing?" Or "Allegro m.m. 120?"
I would put "Straight" and then two tied eighth notes = two tied eighth notes in brackets

spitllama

Ok. Last question then is how to insert a tie into expression designer. Sorry Shado, making expressions is a new thing I don't quite get right now.
Submissions Page

Shadoninja

Quote from: spitllama on January 08, 2013, 08:47:45 PMOk. Last question then is how to insert a tie into expression designer. Sorry Shado, making expressions is a new thing I don't quite get right now.
I don't know just copy and paste the one from the swing expression.

spitllama

Submissions Page