NSM as a business?

Started by MaestroUGC, January 01, 2013, 06:26:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MaestroUGC

I think I've figured out the problem with the updates:

We're all students trying to be editors/publishers.

This site has the desire to be a free, user-based publisher for VG Music. The free, user-based part denotes the idea of it being a hobby, which it is for most, if not all, of us here. The Publisher part denotes the intention of this being a thriving business, with full time updaters and contributers.

The thing is, that last part takes time and energy that none of us can afford to give the site it requires. Hell, the man who owns it barely has enough time for maintenance, from what I've seen. With all of us being students or have full time jobs, or some combination of the two, we don't have the time to devote to this. In order for updates to be regular, we need a few people on full-time staff whose only job is to run updates, maybe an additional person to act as an editor if needed. The thing is, the only way people would agree to this is the prospect of being paid, or otherwise compensated for their time.

In order for this site to flourish it needs time, care, and attention. Yes, things are better than they were a few years ago during the great drought, but the site isn't exactly thriving. We have the content, but none of the ambition to do anything with it.

Those two people who were just hired? They have other obligations, more pressing ones than attending to this hobby of ours. Now if this changes over the next few weeks and updates start flowing in, then congratulations, you've found something that works. If not, then you need to find people who can devote themselves to this site. This site has the potential of become the largest Piano-based VG Music site on the internet, yes it already is, but but we've only cracked the surface of the amount of music out there.

tl;dr Stop running the site as a hobby, start running it as a business. Find dedicated, full-time updaters.
Try to do everything; you're bound to succeed with at least one.

spitllama

Quote from: MaestroUGC on January 01, 2013, 06:26:49 PMStop running the site as a hobby, start running it as a business. Find dedicated, full-time updaters.

What motivation is there for people to be full-time updaters? There's no incentive.
Submissions Page
Currently using Finale 2012

MaestroUGC

That's the point I was trying to get across.
Try to do everything; you're bound to succeed with at least one.

Olimar12345

Come on, guys. We've had longer delays in updates in the past, just be patient. Deku and I have been discussing sheets via pm and we're pretty much there. Expect it soon, but don't complain if its not as soon as you wanted. Complaining doesn't really speed it up, you know :P
Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

TheZeldaPianist275

I don't think we're complaining.  Just bringing to your attention the fact that pretty much anyone who looks at the site will have noticed the delay.  What is the reason for it, may I inquire?

spitllama

Submissions Page

Olimar12345

Spit's right, but if you must know I've been rather busy with commissions. Idk about the others tho.
Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

ALPRAS

I think maestro is right. It's true that, as a hobby and runned by us, students, this place will never be in the order we want, but if we run this place as bussiness men, and see this as a job oportunity (we could get jobs as official arrangers, composers, pianists, etc), damn, we would be unstoppable! I mean, we have the biggest videogame arrangements website in the whole world, we have great arrangers, great musicians, full of talent and will for doing good things, with two common interests: Video Games and music.
If we could put a little more effort, and find some way to disclose this place, I think that very good things would happen!

The Deku Trombonist

Quote from: MaestroUGC on January 01, 2013, 06:26:49 PMThe thing is, that last part takes time and energy that none of us can afford to give the site it requires. Hell, the man who owns it barely has enough time for maintenance, from what I've seen. With all of us being students or have full time jobs, or some combination of the two, we don't have the time to devote to this.

I have the time, my evenings are mostly free. But not always the motivation. In the holidays it's not so bad because I just spend my days practicing, but when I'm at uni and have theory classes and homework, I don't really want to come home and do what I guess amounts to more theory. It's not that I don't want to check sheets, it's just that it's not easy, and at times a little frustrating.

If anyone's got any ways of making checking sheets easier, I'll give them a hug :P

spitllama

Quote from: DekuTrombonist on January 03, 2013, 05:54:16 AMIf anyone's got any ways of making checking sheets easier, I'll give them a hug :P

For my sheets, at least, the mods are usually the first to critique them :-\. I've noticed that if I can get even one critique from someone in the community, the submission process runs smoothly and you guys have to spend very little time on them. No real way of fixing that, though.
Submissions Page

TheZeldaPianist275

Well, we could try to get things going and get people to provide feedback on the sheets....  I know I try to....

ALPRAS

Well, I'll have classes from 7 to 9 of January, then I'll be on vacation untill March 18th, I can give it a try :)

Clanker37

Quote from: TheZeldaPianist275 on January 03, 2013, 07:24:55 PMWell, we could try to get things going and get people to provide feedback on the sheets....  I know I try to....
I try to critique a sheet if I know the song. Problem is, I not a lot of people post songs that I know well. :P

DonValentino

Quote from: TheZeldaPianist275 on January 03, 2013, 07:24:55 PMWell, we could try to get things going and get people to provide feedback on the sheets....  I know I try to....

The problem is that not all arrangers know a lot about musical notation, scales and all that stuff. I try to do my best, but my musical knowledge cannot be compared with that of DekuTrombonist, Shadoninja, Olimar12345 or other great arrangers.  :-\

Quote from: ALPRAS on January 04, 2013, 08:17:58 AMWell, I'll have classes from 7 to 9 of January, then I'll be on vacation untill March 18th, I can give it a try :)

On vacation until March 18th... Classes from 7 to 9 of January... hmmmm... Wanna change lives?  :D

ALPRAS

Quote from: WarioMan98On vacation until March 18th... Classes from 7 to 9 of January... hmmmm... Wanna change lives?  :D

Sorry, vacations until February 18th :D