News:

Don't forget to submit your daily replacement!

Main Menu

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Discussion Thread

Started by SlowPokemon, January 06, 2013, 04:45:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mashi

Quote from: FSM-Reapr on February 01, 2013, 07:25:54 AMWhat if Kyon is the one with godly powers and shiz? :o
Yes, that's how I've always suspected.  Haruhi seems more of some sort of scapegoat.  Despite it being called Melancholy (and other words in the novels), it's really Kyon that's always the bored one.  Haruhi is always having fun and Kyon has something to do because of her demands.  I feel that the movie strengthened this theory a bit, considering that Kyon desired the world-where-Haruhi-ostensibly-has-God-like-powers-to-change-reality over Yuki's because he had fun there.  It would also make sense for Kyon to have his way directly (it was his choice to return, things worked out perfectly for him somehow, etc.), since it seems unlikely for a constituent of god-like powers (Yuki) to usurp the god-like being (ostensibly Haruhi) and not do what the god-like being wishes.  In addition, if Kyon truly held the divine powers, Haruhi becomes a target for aliens, time travelers, and espers instead of him, therefore allowing him to have way more fun than Haruhi in that sense!

The theory that Kyon is a slider also holds strong ground.  In the novels, when Haruhi announced to the class that she's into the bizarre, she mentions "aliens, time travelers, espers, and sliders," where as in the show, she only mentioned the first three.  Since Haruhi gets everything she wishes for in some shape or form, this is evidence that Kyon may possibly be a slider.  Further evidence is given in the movie, since, although it may appear that he did not go across the multiverse on his own, he slid through dimensions nevertheless.

By the way, Bubbles7689, the phantom girl was Yuki!!!  Couple of theories for that; Yuki could have manifested an image of a phantom girl to Haruhi, Yuki could have returned to the present to correct what went wrong (as you recall, there were three Yukis, Yuki who alters the world, Yuki from the future, and Yuki watching over past Kyon and past Mikuru from Bamboo Leaf Rhapsody; it's possible that either World Altering Yuki or Watchful Yuki stayed behind.  If not, alien powers were utilised), Yuki is just amazing, etc. 
It's also important to remember that there were actually three Kyons present when they returned back to the normal world; the Kyon that's stabbed by Asakura, the Kyon that's from the future that saves that Kyon, and the Kyon of that time period sleeping in bed!  The future Kyon returns to the future, but that means that there are still two Kyon's left!  So the falling down the stairs scene was apparently supposed to merge the remaining Kyons together or something.  I'm confused on the details of this, but stick with it!!!

tl;dr: lots of yukis and kyons with a dash of mikurus

Bubbles

What phantom girl? XD

Mainly I was just wondering how he got stabbed if they said he fell down the stairs (I'm still using spoilers :P)

Also my avatar finally works :D I have a few other cute Nagatos if anyone wants them

SlowPokemon

MAJOR SPOILERS FOR DISAPPEARANCE BELOW

The thing I was originally confused about is that in time, Asakura stabbing Kyon at the end actually takes place BEFORE she sees him in school (in fact, that would happen later that day). The only thing I can think to explain this is that they rewrote history, and those three days or so that Kyon spent in the changed world with Yuki and Asakura no longer exist. If they did, Asakura would have acted very differently, having tried to kill Kyon a few hours before showing up at school.

Also, the word for "wind" in Japanese is "kaze" which also means "cold" (as in the sickness). Coincidence that the great wind Yuki used to change the world caused a ton of students to catch colds? XDDD
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

Bubbles

They couldn't have changed time, because the Kyon that was stabbed was a different Kyon than the one that was from that time period. In that scene and time frame, there were 3 Kyons, the one stabbed, the one who came from the future to save the stabbed one, and another asleep in his bed. I dont think Asakura would have acted any different in school even if she had just killed him a few hours earlier because shes a robot/alien and the only reason she stabbed him was because he was "threatening" Nagato.

And haha I was wondering why they had a random thing like that in there

SlowPokemon

Quote from: Bubbles7689 on February 01, 2013, 07:10:00 PMThey couldn't have changed time, because the Kyon that was stabbed was a different Kyon than the one that was from that time period. In that scene and time frame, there were 3 Kyons, the one stabbed, the one who came from the future to save the stabbed one, and another asleep in his bed. I dont think Asakura would have acted any different in school even if she had just killed him a few hours earlier because shes a robot/alien and the only reason she stabbed him was because he was "threatening" Nagato.

That was my original thinking too, but it doesn't make sense for Asakura to see Kyon at school and act normally after trying to kill him, besides two reasons:

1. She knows Nagato has feelings for Kyon and she wants to protect that
2. It hasn't happened at all when she first sees Kyon, and they rewrote history. I think it's likely that an alternate timeline was established at that point, and that in another reality Kyon never changed the world back. This is the reality he finds himself in.

Bubbles

So the Kyon that gets stabbed is the Kyon that was sleeping in his bed in an alternate timeline? Ok, then how did he get pushed down the stairs?

SlowPokemon

He was never pushed down the stairs; Koizumi made that up.

Bubbles

SlowPokemon

idk

I think it's easier if I just don't think about it, because now I'm wondering that if Koizumi made that up, why Haruhi and the others have memories of it.

I know that the whole disappearance changed world thing definitely happened; the other stuff I'm not so sure about.

Bubbles

I was just thinking that too XD The only reason he would have made it up would be to keep Haruhi from knowing about Nagato using her powers and all the stuff that happened, but she remembers seeing him fall. I think I heard somewhere that the only person who could've pushed him down the stairs would be past Nagato, but I need to know how all that fits into place before I figure out who did it XD

SlowPokemon

It makes me wonder if the novel explains the situation better (though I doubt it, as the anime tends to be a word for word carbon copy of the novels).

Bubbles

I thought of another way. Nagato wiped everyone's memories and filled them in with the memory of Kyon falling? She changed everyone's but Kyon's because hes Kyon

SlowPokemon

That was my original line if thinking. Not sure if its possible though.

Bubbles

She did say that if Kyon tried to convince her not to change the world, she would just wipe their memories of ever having that conversation. So I guess she could do the reverse and add memories too

Yugi

Quote from: TV TropesThe English dub of Suzumiya Haruhi has a very clever one in episode six: While Kyon is narrating, the beginning credits are shown. Just as he asks "Who wrote this scenario, anyway?" the current credit is "Series Composition: Haruhi and her friends".

?