News:

Congratulations!! You, yes, YOU, dear user, have been selected for the "You Read This News Item" award! Click here for your prize!!

Main Menu

The NSM Advice Column

Started by K-NiGhT, January 15, 2013, 07:52:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlackDragonSlayer

Quote from: Ruto on January 19, 2013, 10:57:34 PMDrinking water should help, and also avoiding fried food. Soaps sometimes dries out your skin and makes it worse, you kind of have to try a lot of them to see which one works best -.- If you're really desperate, you can try the pill but that's not an option for guys xDDDD

I'm saying saying what my friends say, I never had to worry about this kind of thing.
Drinking water doesn't help, especially if you're not thirsty.
Fried foods, I believe, don't cause acne; that's a myth, if I am correct. Some people just have really oily skin.

For some people, Proactiv helps (including me, for a majority of times).
And the moral of the story: Quit while you're a head.

Fakemon Dex
NSM Sprite Thread
Compositions
Story Thread
The Dread Somber

SuperFireKirby

Acne is related to a few things. What you eat/drink, hygiene, and genetics. Don't use soap on your face, instead just wash it with water and get all the excess oil off. Don't eat junk food, lots of fruits and veggies. Skin is often a direct reflection of how healthy your insides are(so is your oral hygiene). Drink plenty of water,keep you nice and hydrated and will help keep your skin healthy. Genetics can't be help so you'll have to deal with that.

I'd avoid acne medication just because that always worsened my acne and it's filled with putrid stuff more time than less.

ANOTHER SFK LESSON IN HEALTH CARE.

GOT NINJA'd. What you eat does affect your skin. I went on a fast food binge for about 2 weeks straight and ended up with a ton of pimples. It's not the grease that does it, it's the unhealthiness of the food and the chemicals in it, generally.

Quote from: Mashi on March 26, 2013, 05:54:37 PMAfter viewing both FMA:Brotherhood and Naruto Shippuden, it would be frivolous to even consider watching an anime as unbearably mediocre as Melancholy. NARUTOxHINATA 4 LYFE!!!

BlackDragonSlayer

Quote from: SuperFireKirby on January 19, 2013, 11:12:57 PMAcne is related to a few things. What you eat/drink, hygiene, and genetics. Don't use soap on your face, instead just wash it with water and get all the excess oil off. Don't eat junk food, lots of fruits and veggies. Skin is often a direct reflection of how healthy your insides are(so is your oral hygiene). Drink plenty of water,keep you nice and hydrated and will help keep your skin healthy. Genetics can't be help so you'll have to deal with that.

I'd avoid acne medication just because that always worsened my acne and it's filled with putrid stuff more time than less.

ANOTHER SFK LESSON IN HEALTH CARE.

GOT NINJA'd. What you eat does affect your skin. I went on a fast food binge for about 2 weeks straight and ended up with a ton of pimples. It's not the grease that does it, it's the unhealthiness of the food and the chemicals in it, generally.
http://www.livestrong.com/article/470565-fried-foods-acne/
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080320154708AAIyUaa

It's not necessarily the fact that the foods are fried or "unhealthy." It probably just depends on what the food is (as in, nutritional value correlation), and how your body digests it; but that might apply to other foods as well, including healthier ones.

EDIT: That does not mean that you should not watch your diet; use common sense people. :P

Fakemon Dex
NSM Sprite Thread
Compositions
Story Thread
The Dread Somber

Clanker37

Chocolate doesn't make pimples plentiful! I was so happy when I found that out! :D

Bubbles

I've noticed *looks at slow* that I get alot more pimples whenever I'm stressed. That doesnt happen often, since my main attitude is "I dont care", which actually works wonders :D So I guess if you think that chocolate will give you pimples, and you stress about all the pimples you'll get while you're eating the chocolate, then yeah, you'll get some.

BlackDragonSlayer

Quote from: Bubbles7689 on January 20, 2013, 09:33:58 AMI've noticed *looks at slow* that I get alot more pimples whenever I'm stressed. That doesnt happen often, since my main attitude is "I dont care", which actually works wonders :D So I guess if you think that chocolate will give you pimples, and you stress about all the pimples you'll get while you're eating the chocolate, then yeah, you'll get some.
Stress can also contribute to heart disease, among other things.

Fakemon Dex
NSM Sprite Thread
Compositions
Story Thread
The Dread Somber

SuperFireKirby

Fatigue, sleep deprivation, anxiety, wrinkles, heart disease,stomach ulcers, ect. STRESS IS GREAT!

Quote from: Mashi on March 26, 2013, 05:54:37 PMAfter viewing both FMA:Brotherhood and Naruto Shippuden, it would be frivolous to even consider watching an anime as unbearably mediocre as Melancholy. NARUTOxHINATA 4 LYFE!!!

Toby

SuperFireKirby

Well it's nice to see everybody's lives have been going smothely enough so that they don't need any advice.

Bubbles

This isn't really a "problem", but I guess it belongs in the advice column.

I've been thinking for a while about what I want to do when I get out of college. Now you may be thinking, "Out of college? Why Bubbles, you're just a freshman!" but yeah, welcome to my school. The guidance counselors and other teachers are already pressuring us to at least have an idea of where we want to go to college and a general topic of what we want to study and what classes we'll take. I guess that's why its a 'college preparatory school'.

In complete seriousness, I would really enjoy being a detective. I can't explain the type of detective in any other way, but  "It was Colonel Mustard in the Billiard Room with the candle stick!". Don't laugh. It's silly, and I feel like a little kid wishing to be something like an alligator when they grow up.

The only problem is, I have little to no information on how to do this. Apparently you can't just BECOME a detective or apprentice/intern it or something, but you have to be a police officer first and then get promoted? They seem like almost completely different jobs to me. I'm not even really sure how to research something like this since it's such a broad topic and probably different in many places.

Since I'm assuming the majority of those who are active at NSM right now are in/out of college (or at least older than me :P), do any of you have any idea for what classes are probably mandatory for you to take in college to even apply for the job? Literally what I decide to take next semester will decide what classes I can take as a senior. I'm already taking Anatomy junior or sophmore year so I guess that's a start.

And just in case anyone was wondering, this has nothing to do with Professor Layton ::) Literally my whole life I've been debating over 3 jobs, and once I realized how impractical, gross, and messy a dog breeder would be now it's down to this.

Nebbles

For policework/detective, it's gonna require law classes... Anatomy is good, sciences are good, but it sounds like you might head down law school if you stick with that career path.
Quote from: Dudeman on April 13, 2016, 04:54:04 PM
- Nebbles, the beauty with the heart of frozen steel

MaestroUGC

I detest anybody who says "You should know what you want to be in 10 years" while you're in high school. Very, very few people have a crystal vision of what they want to be and how to do it while they're in high school, I have several friends in their third year of school and still don't know what they want to do. At lot of times you just end up taking that one class and things just click for you.

About your Detective career, you need to go into law enforcement. Ask your counselors if they know where to start with an education in that field. You're just a freshmen, so don't bank on this to be your ultimate dream job, proceed with caution. I once had a vision in engineering, but during freshman year I discovered my choir's Steinway and never went back. All it takes is that one class.
Try to do everything; you're bound to succeed with at least one.

Nebbles

Your career always changes, yes, but by 10th grade I knew my passion lied in history. Learning geography and countries on my own did it for me - it clicked, and I was in love.

So perhaps you have found your "click"... and go with it. Work with what makes you happy.
Quote from: Dudeman on April 13, 2016, 04:54:04 PM
- Nebbles, the beauty with the heart of frozen steel

Mashi

Oh, I actually wanted to become a detective at one point until I realised the job wasn't so much puzzle solving and deducting, but more of recording information, possibly chasing down a suspect, and... that's about it!

Unfortunately, detective work isn't what one usually imagines it to be.  It's a mentally and physically (yes, physically) demanding job.  Detectives are a part of the police force, not independent sleuths.  There are private investigators, sure, but chances are, no one would hire one without any prior police training.

Usually, to have a decent salary, most potential detectives (as well as practically any crime-related job out there) Major in Criminal Justice.  Though, depending on what type of detective you wish to be, you may sometimes want to consider Majoring in something else related to the police department you wish to work in the future.  Definitely educate yourself with law classes though, and make sure to be an all-around candidate for the main subjects.  After college, you train in a police academy and if you pass the four exams (I believe they were law (the only written part), physical endurance, shooting, and driving), you can become a patrol officer.  After a few years, if you're good, you can apply for a promotion to become a detective.

So I would suggest that, if your school offers, you take Criminal Justice as an elective and see whether you like it.  I'm not sure what to say if you happen not to like it, however, since your elective choice ostensibly dictates your future classes.  You might become more interested in some field in Law perhaps and could branch off to different types of Law.  Or perhaps even using Anatomy, branch off the Biology or other related Sciences.

I don't see why your school is placing so much emphasis on all of this now, however.  Nearly all students hardly have a grasp on the job-world during freshman year, so it's frivolous to mandate that they start making serious decisions, I feel.

Bubbles

I'm not really interested in the 'puzzle solving' part of it. We did this little activity in Bio where we were given a crime scene along with medical details of the dead victim, and we were supposed to figure out things like time, cause, and place of death. I don't think thats a detective's job, but it was still interesting (plus I was the only person in the whole class who got all of the details right :P). Biology has always been my strong point, so I dont really see a problem there.

Mashi, what youre basically saying is to keep well rounded in all main subjects while attempting some other more specific elective? If I don't turn out as a detective I really don't want to do anything else with the law, as frivolous as that sounds