News:

New to the site? Introduce yourself here!

Main Menu

How do you guys recognize notes so easily?

Started by Taser9090, October 04, 2012, 07:27:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ricky

Quote from: Jompa on May 02, 2013, 02:42:43 AMOh, well I too think it is memory based, of course, but I just don't agree that people without it can use memory to keep a pitch. I mean, they practically speaking do have absolute pitch if they can hum a C at any time - because then you would always have a determined pitch to use. So this is what I don't believe.
So you're basically saying that it depends on memory but depends on something else too? You're basically saying it's unattainable (you said you can't memorize it unless you already have it) unless you're born with it meaning you support the idea of a perfect pitch gene.

Quote from: Jompa on May 02, 2013, 02:42:43 AMIf absolute pitch is more powerful? You could say that, yes, but according to your source only 1 in 10 000 people have it. So it doesn't matter at all to those people. So I don't think it should be listed with the other things.
Yes but the real question is why don't more people have it. I believe it's possible to learn perfect pitch just like any musical skill. Sure it takes more effort but isn't it worth a try? I would say more people don't have it because of the myth surrounding it and the idea that it's unattainable.

Quote from: Jompa on May 02, 2013, 02:42:43 AMIf you have absolute pitch then you should be able to determine any note played for you.
For what it is worth, I just heard a tenor sax over the radio, and I managed to hear when the sax played an A 8va the ledges, because I recognize how the sax sounds at that note (all saxophonists know what I mean). I dunno about piano, but I could use that A to determine stuff.
But really, i don't know. I'm not sure if I even believe that those piano exmples are cases of pitching without a reference - so I guess I don't have any arguement here.
There's no reason why that sax A and a good (great) relative pitch can't be enough for absolute pitch if you we go by your idea that if you know one pitch then you know the others. Try listening to the A on other instruments and notice the differences but mainly the similarities (the actual pitch). It will probably take some practice to transfer the A to other kinds of sounds than saxophone.

Brassman388

Ricky, I believe that you're on the right path. Keep practicing with techniques that are familiar to you. If you're productive and see results, no one can say that you're wrong.

With that, I find interval changes and chord changes a big, big part of aural training. It's probably what I personally rely on the most. If you can "master" that, then move on to basslines. 3rd's, 4th's, and 5th's will help you tremendously.

I don't have perfect pitch, but I have been successful with relative pitch. I hope you can find the same success as I had and I wish you good luck.

Jompa

Quote from: Ricky on May 02, 2013, 12:42:50 PMSo you're basically saying that it depends on memory but depends on something else too? You're basically saying it's unattainable (you said you can't memorize it unless you already have it) unless you're born with it meaning you support the idea of a perfect pitch gene.
I never said anyone is born with it - it is attained by someone, and not attained by others - and since almost everyone ever agrees that it is attained at a young age, I don't think it can ever be attained by someone later in life either. But don't care about me, if I believe it is ludicrous, while you think I'm wrong, then in your eyes: It's my loss. So lets just have our separate beliefs for now, noone takes harm in that.
Yes, I believe it depends on a reflex as well, that rp-people don't have. Basically a reflex that can make them recognize a tone instantly (as long as they have memorized tone names), like for example hearing that car break and shout out "that was pitched in D" - as I have witnessed, and verified with my recorder I had lying in my bag. I have been told by my ap-friends from school that it acts more like a reflex that instantly tells you that the note you hear is something specific.
Quote from: Ricky on May 02, 2013, 12:42:50 PMYes but the real question is why don't more people have it. I believe it's possible to learn perfect pitch just like any musical skill. Sure it takes more effort but isn't it worth a try? I would say more people don't have it because of the myth surrounding it and the idea that it's unattainable.
Yeeah, I won't say this isn't a possible outcome - who knows, maybe you'll be revolutionary and become the first person to "train yourself perfect pitch".
But even then it doesn't really matter much, it gives you ability to recognize a note, but in my position, for instance, I don't even need it as long as I have a pitch to go from...which I always have.

Quote from: JDMEK5 on May 02, 2013, 08:15:11 AM^Exactly my case with the middle C on piano. But I don't trust myself enough with intervals to branch everything off the C so I mentally listen to a song that has said note (that's not middle C) nice and clear so I can hum it directly to that. That's how I hit a note spontaneously.
Quote from: Ricky on May 02, 2013, 12:42:50 PMThere's no reason why that sax A and a good (great) relative pitch can't be enough for absolute pitch if you we go by your idea that if you know one pitch then you know the others. Try listening to the A on other instruments and notice the differences but mainly the similarities (the actual pitch). It will probably take some practice to transfer the A to other kinds of sounds than saxophone.
That is correct, HOWEVER: I didn't mean I recognize the pitch - that would be contradicting to about every single thing I've said so far, hahah.
I mean the sound, and therefore not necessarily the pitch, of that written A3 hemholtz - which I should enlighten that isn't actually a "normal" playable note in the sax the bb to F#3 range (it is one of the harmonics that can be "fetched" only by controlled overblowing) - is (I can't really explain this) special (listen to a sound clip or something, I can't explain), not in a bad way (actually, it is awesome, because it takes training to blow it, and when it sounds special it sorta verifies for everyone that you have practiced your harmonics well), and therefore I was able to hear that that tenor sax I heard over the radio played an A at exactly that moment. If you wish, ask a saxophonist who uses harmonics in playing, and they will recognize that A as well. It is kinda cool.
^So basically, no absolute pitch for me:/

And Brassman has just shot us back on topic, so I think we should stay there:)
Not much to discuss anymore anyways, is there?
Birdo for Smash

Ricky

Yeah this won't lead anywhere as you won't get convinced that absolute pitch can be trained and you won't convince me that it can't.

Olimar12345

Lol, nice two pages of tldr you got, thar.
Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

Jompa

Quote from: Ricky on May 03, 2013, 12:26:11 PMYeah this won't lead anywhere as you won't get convinced that absolute pitch can be trained and you won't convince me that it can't.
sure, my fault.
^Well in addition to that I don't think any of us care anymore.

lol, Olimar.
Birdo for Smash

Brassman388

You just gotta not be such a dick when explaining things, Jompa. It helps. Trust me.

SlowPokemon

Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

JDMEK5

That went downhill in a hurry...

@Slow: Another perfectly matching avatar moment! :P
"Today's goal strongly involves not dying. Because nobody likes to wake up dead."

My Arrangements
Finale Version(s): Finale Notepad 2012, Finale 2012, Finale v26