SFK Rants About Modern Music

Started by SuperFireKirby, January 12, 2013, 10:04:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SuperFireKirby

Gosh darn it, Tegan and Sara. How the heck did you manage this one?

So Tegan and Sara's new album, Hearthrob, dropped two days ago(Jan. 29th). Here's a review:

Now, I'm a huge fan of Tegan and Sara. They've always managed to blend pop, rock, and folk together in a way that has always felt fresh and full of life. So what is this album? Well, it's just the same, except it's not. This is, by miles, T & S's most poppy album. And I really don't know why I like it so much. It's really got alot of things that I generally cite as reasons to hate pop music.

-Lyricism about nothing but love("I'm Not Your Hero" is the only real exception on this album)
-Overkill on the producing.
-That really idiotically simple drum beat that every generic pop song on the planet has.

Make no mistake. This IS in many ways a generic pop album. But after a few listens through it, I can safely say why it IS worth a listen. First of all, the melodies and composition of these songs are far more complex than you see it your typical pop song. The amount of sound layer in FREAKING INTENSE, especially when you really try to listen to it. There's a ton of stuff going on in almost every track. Secondly, Tegan and Sara's vocals are, as always, astounding and unique from everyone else on the radio. And the music actually sounds ORIGINAL and still has that nice fresh feeling of Tegan and Sara, unlike the stale nastiness of generic radio pop.

The highlighted single off the album, "Closer"(No, this is not a Nine Inch Nails cover) is probably the weakest point on the whole album, so it's a good thing we get it out of the way first. And the follow-up, "Goodbye, Goodbye", by contrast, is one of the album's strongest tracks, especially it's instrumentals.

Now, when I say instrumentals, obviously I don't mean instruments. This is a fairly generic pop album, remember? There is a TON of synthesizer work going on, almost reminiscent of that 80's sound on many tracks. But there is actual a whole lot of actually instruments being played as well, though many times they get over shadowed.

"I'm Not Your Hero", as I mentioned before, is the only song that really isn't about love. And for this reason it's possibly the strongest song on the album lyrically. But I'm also pretty biased towards non-love songs, so that may explain it. It's also got a snazzy and powerful chorus to it, which is nice. And despite my NO LOVE policy in lyricism, another favorite of mine off the album is "Love They Say". It's a love song done better(not done right, but better than wrong). It's also the only song that really is anything like Tegan and Sara's earlier work, which is another reason I like it.

The album finishes off with quite the bang, "Shock To Your System", which is easily the most powerful track on the album. It's super heavy drums and synth is has a very 80s vibe to it, and the hook is as catchy as herpes. And twice as hard to get rid of. Listen to it, and try not to keep singing "WHAT YOU ARE IS LONELY. WHAT YOU AREEEEEEE." all day. I dare you.

SINCE I GOT THE SUPER SPECIAL DELUXE EDITION, I got two bonus tracks that don't normally come with the album, "Guilty As Charged" and "I Run Empty". The former of which has a very dreamy feel to it and is actually a better track than many of those on the regular version of the album. It is probably Tegan's best performance vocally. "I Run Empty" is also very similar to T&S's work prior to Heartthrob, through it still has the new sound they're going for added to it. It's the calmest track on the album, and I wish it was included in the regular edition since the album could use a bit more mellowness to it.

OVERALL: Tegan And Sara have managed to create a proper pop album why using many of the tricks of regular pop "artists". While I'm not sure if I'd like them to maintain this departure from their old sound, they are certainly pulling off this new sound well. Nevermind what I said about this being a generic pop album. IT ISN'T. Why? Because it doesn't suck. And that's enough for me to put it above the "generic pop" title.

7.8/10 (Certainly worth a listen)

TRACK LISTING(Best tracks are bolded):

1. Closer(no, this still isn't a Nine Inch Nails cover)
2. Goodbye, Goodbye.
3. I Was A Fool
4. I'm Not Your Hero
5. Drove Me Wild
6. How Come You Don't Want Me
7. I Couldn't Be Your Friend
8. Love They Say
9. Now I'm All Messed Up
10. Shock To Your System
Deluxe Bonus Tracks:
11. Guilty As Charged
12. I Run Empty

Quote from: Mashi on March 26, 2013, 05:54:37 PMAfter viewing both FMA:Brotherhood and Naruto Shippuden, it would be frivolous to even consider watching an anime as unbearably mediocre as Melancholy. NARUTOxHINATA 4 LYFE!!!

Ricky

Some more hip-hop for those interested:

(especially suiting considering the gun control debate in USA)