News:

See you space cowboy...

Main Menu

Ace Attorney

Started by GaryOak, February 18, 2013, 12:33:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SlowPokemon

In between working ten hour shifts I've managed to finish episode 1 as of earlier this morning xD Can't wait to start episode 2 and actually finish it this time! That first episode is such a substantial bit of work, it's a great way to make players immediately hooked on the action rather than starting out small.
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

SlowPokemon

As of 1 AM this morning, I officially finished GK2, meaning I have FINALLY played all of the Ace Attorney there is! (Well, for another month or so, anyway...)

Maelstrom

Quote from: SlowPokemon on June 15, 2015, 06:51:10 AMAs of 1 AM this morning, I officially finished GK2, meaning I have FINALLY played all of the Ace Attorney there is! (Well, for another month or so, anyway...)
What did you think?

SlowPokemon

Not bad. Much better than the first one.

SlowPokemon

Today, the Phoenix Wright trilogy and Dual Destinies are both on sale on the eShop, so anyone who's been on the fence about this series should act now to get the first three games (which are my personal favorites and look crazy good on 3DS) for about $22. Please don't pass it up!

SlowPokemon

ALSO THE ACE ATTORNEY THEMES ARE FINALLY ON THE THEME STORE PRAISE THE GODDESS OF LAW

Altissimo

Quote from: SlowPokemon on July 02, 2015, 09:52:47 AMToday, the Phoenix Wright trilogy and Dual Destinies are both on sale on the eShop, so anyone who's been on the fence about this series should act now to get the first three games (which are my personal favorites and look crazy good on 3DS) for about $22. Please don't pass it up!

Are the eShop versions of the original trilogy straight ports or have they been updated for the 3DS?

SlowPokemon

Quote from: Altissimo on July 02, 2015, 04:17:18 PMAre the eShop versions of the original trilogy straight ports or have they been updated for the 3DS?

Well, kind of both. The games are largely unchanged besides being all three in a single software--there are no new episodes, and the stories are the same. However, there are a few changes:

The script has been updated a bit--they've fixed some typos, awkward phrasing, etc. (i.e., the infamous "The miracle never happen" end of Justice For All)

The graphics are updated for the 3DS's capabilities. The entire top screen is used and the characters are represented by direct scans of their character designs rather than sprites, which looks incredibly clean and really pretty awesome.

The music was given a touch-up, so it's more on par with the WiiWare releases than the DS releases.

The sound effects throughout--such as the voiced interjections, text noises and gavel pounding--have been cleaned up so there's no feedback, which may not sound like a big deal but it's notably a much clearer and cleaner sound (especially if you compare to the unedited versions of the sounds in Professor Layton vs Phoenix Wright).

There's a three-layer 3D effect which is pretty generic--basically, from front to back, you have text box, character, background, with the distance between them changed by the 3D slider--but actually makes the scenes look really nice, almost like a pop-up book.

You have the option to play the Japanese versions of the games, which is probably useless for most players.

I don't think there's anything else that's different besides a generally cleaner presentation. So it's a port, but it's more like a fine-tuned port, I guess.

Maelstrom

Pretty much what slow said.
If you haven't played the originals, you need to play them, and this is the best way.

Altissimo

I own the originals (for DS), which is why I was wondering if it was worth upgrading to the 3DS versions :p

SlowPokemon

Eh it's not really worth it unless you're a diehard fan (guilty) or just wanted an excuse to play them again. Seriously though, I played a bit of the first one on DS and I was astounded how much of a difference there is.

Hero of Trains

Curse my need to have everything as physical copies all the time! This means that I'll need to make a concerted effort to find them in game stores now.(Not that I wasn't trying, but this is definitely motivating)
Quote from: Dudeman on May 22, 2015, 06:24:42 PM
See guys? Trains isn't nice all the time.
Quote from: also Dudeman
Trains is so nice that I'm sure she'd resurrect herself for a few minutes to compliment you back

Maelstrom

SlowPokemon

Fun fact: that's actually my favorite track from the Apollo Justice soundtrack. That's cool!

Hero of Trains

Yesterday, I remembered that I owned Justice for All. I spent 16 of the last 24 hours finishing it. And WOW, that last case is really, really good. The whole thing was really well done .
Spoiler
The part where it asked you whether Engarde should be pronounced guilt or not guilty (before Franziska came in) was definitely thought provoking, but I still answered immediately.
[close]
Now excuse me while I steal Phoenix's Steel Samurai ringtone.
Quote from: Dudeman on May 22, 2015, 06:24:42 PM
See guys? Trains isn't nice all the time.
Quote from: also Dudeman
Trains is so nice that I'm sure she'd resurrect herself for a few minutes to compliment you back