Rogues' Gallery: BDS's General Art Thread

Started by BlackDragonSlayer, February 28, 2013, 04:21:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlackDragonSlayer

I'm not sure if having multiple art threads is much of a good idea, but so that I don't keep posting things in the Pictures/Videos topic, here is some of my "general art" that does not fit into the category of sprites (for obvious reasons).

Main Gallery

Ryu-Jin

[close]

Gi-Jinado

[close]

Betledye and Thoraxun

[close]

Domingo

[close]

Jogurt

[close]

Golden Silver
Or, Golden Silver: The Process of a Work in Which I Display the Colors of the Faber-Castell Colored Pencils (and yet again display the mediocrity of my scanner)

Inspiration
[close]

Without Color
[close]

Final
[close]

To do: Get better at drawing robots and weird-looking feet.
[close]

Brickshelf Gallery

Original Creations

[close]

Video Game Creations

[close]

Toa Savage
I decided I wanted to experiment with the new Bionicle pieces in LDD. They didn't have them, so I did it anyway!

Defender of Shadows

Creations of Silaa, the Defenders are much more hostile than the Protectors which aid the Toa Okoto. This Defender prowls the depths of the ocean near the volcanic coastline, and is the enemy of Toa Drasden and Toa Ailana.
[close]

Defender of Sky

Creations of Silaa, the Defenders are much more hostile than the Protectors which aid the Toa Okoto. This Defender soars through the sky over the jungles of Okoto, and is the enemy of Toa Rodgert and Toa Lila.
[close]

Defender of Underground

Creations of Silaa, the Defenders are much more hostile than the Protectors which aid the Toa Okoto. This Defender causes earthquakes deep underground with its sonic drills, and is the enemy of Toa Janson and Toa Harmon.
[close]

Hovercraft Defender

A creation of Silaa, this Defender has somehow become more intelligent than the rest, and has stolen a hovercraft for its own use.
[close]

Silaa, Destroyer

Silaa was a creature created by the essence of Makuta inside the Mask of Control in order to defend it from the Toa Savage, exiled villagers transformed into Toa by the Mask of Creation. Silaa himself can create minions to aid him in his quest to defeat the Toa.

Silaa has the strength of three Toa combined, but as he improves his skills with his weapons, he becomes even more dangerous.

I don't think his legs move at all, but he looks cool, right? Riiight? Unlike the Toa, he doesn't have any gear functions.
[close]

Toa Drasden, Warrior of Fire

Drasden was an exiled villager transformed by the essence of Ekimu inside the Mask of Creation. His weapons are the Flare Swords and Burning Chain. His mask is the Mask of Rage, which allows him to channel his emotions into balls of energy which are thrown from his Burning Chain.

Drasden is somewhat hot-headed, but can be a ruthless tactician if he sets his mind to it. He respects Lila's leadership, but has a rivalry with Harmon for the second-in-command position.
[close]

Toa Rodgert, Warrior of Ice

Rodgert was an exiled villager transformed by the essence of Ekimu inside the Mask of Creation. His weapons are the Double Frost Sword and Blade Shield. His mask is the Mask of Telepathy, which allows him to communicate to others through his mind and improves his reflexes.

Intelligent, loyal, and caring, Rodgert gets along with everybody on the team, and is often the mediator of peace when fights break out, especially those between Drasden and Harmon.
[close]

Toa Janson, Warrior of Earth

Janson was an exiled villager transformed by the essence of Ekimu inside the Mask of Creation. His weapon is the Power Spear. His mask is the Mask of Empathy, which allows him to impart his state of mind on another being in order to pacify them.

Janson is calm, yet fierce. His immense concentration allows him to focus in even the most difficult situations, allowing him to put his mask power to great use. However, he is quick to irritate when faced with somebody or something that repeatedly disturbs him.
[close]

Toa Ailana, Warrior of Water

Ailana was an exiled villager transformed by the essence of Ekimu inside the Mask of Creation. Her weapons are the Elemental Fists. Her mask is the Mask of Electricity, which allows her to transfer a strong bolt of electricity to whatever she touches with her weapons, and grants her immunity to electricity.

The scout of the team, Ailana usually prefers to be alone. She is also skilled with using and making weapons; she is the one who improved the weapons that the team current use.
[close]

Toa Harmon, Warrior of Stone

Harmon was an exiled villager transformed by the essence of Ekimu inside the Mask of Creation. His weapons are the Dual Arm Blades. His mask is the Mask of Strength, which gives him extraordinary strength and the ability to deliver powerful blows with his fists.

Usually laid-back, Harmon is loyal, and very trustworthy- due to these traits, he is always uncertain of those whom he feels are not loyal enough, such as Toa Drasden. He only uses his strength when he has good reason to do so.
[close]

Toa Lila, Warrior of Jungle

Lila was an exiled villager transformed by the essence of Ekimu inside the Mask of Creation. Her weapon is the Double-Sided Forest Blade, which can separate into two smaller Forest Blades. Her mask is the Mask of Allure, which allows her to confuse and distract the person or thing she is targeting. The less intelligent a creature is, the greater her ability to deceive it is. She is the leader of the Toa Savage.

Lila has natural leadership qualities, but isn't good at settling disputes among teammates. In most circumstances, she tries to take a neutral stance. She is very clever, and can be deceptive... sometimes unintentionally. Out of all the others, she has the weakest moral fiber, having no qualms stealing from the villagers. However, becoming a Toa has made her somewhat more caring.
[close]
[close]

Mutara
The Mutara are built with the 2015 CCBS, but, unlike the Toa Savage, are more... uh... experimental with their gearboxes. Even the Protectors have slightly different styles of building than the standard Protectors.

Protector of Iron

Satifaction: 9/10
[close]

Protector of Lightning

Satisfaction: 7/10
[close]

Protector of Plasma

Satisfaction: 8/10
[close]

Ardant and Mutara Hound

The villain of the wave, Ardant is a mad scientist who seeks the three legendary masks, in order to experiment on them and make new and even more destructive creations. Ardant has also figured out how to create masks, and has made a few for his mutants.

I cannot express how satisfied I am with this. Ardant is taller than a Protector, yet shorter than a Protector, the perfect height I wanted to express his status as a villain, yet still being of the same variety as the other Protectors, his turret is neat, and the posability of his arms is AWESOME (in addition to being able to move his arms as normal, they can also rotate at the "shoulders" due to the way I constructed his back).

The Mutara Hound is also pretty cool, and looks neat in a lunging pose, such as the one in the above picture.

Satisfaction: 10/10
[close]

Takua, Master of Light

More like, Takua, Master of Running.

I enjoy the way it looks- tall, bulky, powerful, etc. but according to LDD, the posability is lackluster. Although the arms seems to pose fine, the only pose the legs can really be put into are standing poses and the "running" pose I put them in for this picture. Shortening the length of the shells on the lower leg would probably help, but that would compromise appearance. Also, the swords on the back would probably be more spread out in the final version, like Tahu.

Satisfaction: 6/10
[close]

Roarna, Mutant of Stone

Roarna was once a creature from the stone region on the island of Okoto before it was taken by Ardant to his lab and experimented on. Although its new body is more humanoid, it can still put its deadly feet to good use. Its mask is the Mask of Endurance, which gives it the ability to run and attack foes for great length without tiring.

Roarna uses the gearbox for foot motion, rather than arm motion, and idea which has been tossed around by the community already. Overall, I feel Roarna is so-so: the foot design is great, and the arm design is fine, but the tail, which I feel is a somewhat integral element of the build, has a very disappointing weapon- I'm not sure what else could be used in place of that, however.

Satisfaction: 6/10
[close]

Clincher, Mutant of Earth

Clincher was a former warrior who was kidnapped by Ardant and fused with an underground claw mole. He is very angry and confused due to the experimentation, making him a fierce opponent. His mask is the Mask of Bersekers, which keeps him in a near-constant rage, greatly enhancing his strength, at the cost of tiring him out very easily.

Clincher uses a fairly standard build, and thus, is unique in the sole fact that he is different from the rest of the mutants. I am satisfied with the usage of the claws, the main "gimmick" of Clincher. The ball joints do stick out a bit far, though, which might interfere with the arm motion.

Satisfaction: 7/10
[close]

Locker, Mutant of Ice

Locker was a former warrior who was recruited by Ardant and "enhanced" with deadly claws, powerful legs, and better vision. He puts his vision and mask powers to good use, using his Sniper Bolt Staff to strike opponents from afar. His mask is the Mask of Sights, allowing him to lock onto opponents more easily.

Locker was built to be a larger set, but was replaced as one of the larger sets by Beeler (mainly because I decided that the larger sets should be more animal-like)- piece-wise, he is larger than Beeler, and I feel all of his parts are put to good use. The legs are good, the clawed arms connected to the gearbox are good, and the weapon-holding arms are also very good. I love the use of the slope piece as part of his armor.

[close]

Illas, Mutant of Fire

Illas was a former hero of ancient times, who, near death, turned to Ardant in desperation for more life. However, since then, Illas has come to regret his actions. His mask is the Mask of Rampant Action, allowing him to greatly speed up any action, such as when he is charging forward, as in the picture. However, the mask has a high recharge time.

Illas is so awesome. He looks fierce and powerful, and the color scheme is good. I would love to see his arms all flailing with the gear functions. Not much more to say about him. :P

Satisfaction: 9/10
[close]

Quasaan, Mutant of Jungle

Quasaan was a beast from the jungles of Okoto who was experimented on by Ardant. Originally a fierce hunter, Ardant's modification have only made it larger and more dangerous. It can use its leg-claws to snap at opponents beneath it, and its hand-claws to attack nearby foes. Its mask is the Mask of Pain, allowing it to inflict debilitating pain on an opponent. However, this mask power takes great concentration to use.

Overall, I like Quasaan. The only con I have for it is that I'm not 100% certain the legs use a legal connection (and thus, can't bend very well in LDD, hence the straight-legged pose). :P

[close]

Beeler, Mutant of Water

Beeler was a beast from the oceans around Ardant's island. It used to be a peaceful creature until Ardant's experiments turned it into an aggressive monster. It can survive on land, although without its mask, it has difficulty moving. Its mask is the Mask of Aerial Movement, allowing it to levitate above the ground or water and move at high speeds.

Beeler is probably the most unique out of all the Mutara. I'm satisfied with the front fins, REALLY satisfied with the middle fins, and fine with the back fins (which are connected to the gearbox). It has great bulk, which captures the body style I was aiming for, and the blade tail is a great addition.

Satisfaction: 9/10
[close]
[close]

MediEvil

Ant Caves - Designed as a "$10" set.

Zarok's Lair - Designed as a "$20" set.

The Pumpkin King - Designed as a "$30" set.

Scarecrow Fields - Designed as a "$40" set.

Dan's Crypt - Designed as a "$60" set.

The Graveyard - Designed as a "$70" set.

The Hall of Heroes - Designed as a "$90" set.
[close]

Toa Titans
Listed in the order they were made.

Toa Rubach, Titan of Fire

183 pieces total.

A retired hero from a time long past, Rubach is said to be many eons older than any of the villagers living on the island of Okoto; how he has stayed alive so long, nobody knows, but it might have something to do with his mask power... or perhaps with a destiny which greatly eclipses even his own wildest imagination. Before being brought together with the other titans, he lived out in the volcanic wastelands, using his blades to chop through wood and stone alike for his own purposes.

His mask is the Mask of Willpower, which allows him to persevere in situations where things may otherwise seem hopeless. Many a time in his career as guardian of the island, his mask power was the only thing that gave him the energy to survive.
[close]

Toa Virillion, Titan of Jungle

165 pieces total.

Although a Toa of Jungle, Virillion greatly despises his own element and its nature of being so firmly rooted to the ground. Thus, some time ago, he sought out an unscrupulous scientist for help, which led to him becoming mutated and getting Rahi wings grafted onto himself. Although weak, stripped of his mask, and trapped for a time by the mad scientist, Virillion eventually was gifted a mask which had been secretly stashed away by a dying fellow prisoner, and used the mask's power to fashion himself a weapon and escape. Many years later, Virillion was mysteriously brought together with the other titans for an unknown purpose. During this time, Virillion has begun to have more of an appreciation for his natural element, although the air will always be his preferred home.

His mask is the Mask of Metals, which allows him to take any non-organic metals and fashion them into any shape he desires, or even simply manipulate them for use as projectiles.
[close]

Toa Karook, Titan of Stone

199 pieces total.

During a battle many decades ago, Karook was gravely injured. Although he survived long enough to be brought back safely to his village, he ended up losing his right arm and both of his lower legs. For a time, he thought himself incapable of doing anything aside from sitting around and telling stories of heroism to amuse the younglings, but one day, Karook was hit with a seemingly divine inspiration and went to work, fashioning himself new legs, a new arm, new armor, and hover jets to attach to his back. Inspired to be a hero once more, Karook set out on a journey, eventually running into the other titans.

His mask is the Mask of Durability, which allows him to encase himself and those around him in a tough layer of stone. However, while the barrier is intact, all those surrounded by it are almost completely immobile.
[close]

Toa Malwie, Titan of Water

251 pieces total.

Nobody really knows what Malwie is. Some say it's a Rahi, others say it's definitely the same species as the villagers, but regardless, everyone can agree that it seems to have Toa powers nonetheless. Although the other titans sometimes doubt it, Malwie is the most straightforward and determined of the bunch, being the first to begin seeking out the others. However, because it cannot speak at all (only grunt and squeal), they often have great difficulty trying to understand and coordinate with it. When Toa Karook tried to develop a translator in order to speak with Malwie, but upon being asked a personal question, it would erupt in a great rage and flail around and scream rather miserably. After the third question, Karook gave up.

Nobody really knows what Malwie's mask power is, but the others speculate that it might have something to do with enhanced vision, as each group member has reported numerous times that they have woken up in the middle of night to the sight of Malwie staring at them intently and unblinking. Despite apparently being an aquatic creature, Malwie is sufficiently adept at moving at land thanks to a pair of combat fists it carries, which it most commonly uses to drag itself along the ground.
[close]

Toa Akkberg, Titan of Ice

185 pieces total.

Toa Akkberg was once a legendary Toa of Ice whose name was sung joyously all across the island. One day, he set out on a perilous journey to defeat his arch-nemesis, a horrible mutant who had been terrorizing the villages all across Okoto, and who had evaded Akkberg for many years. On the peak of an icy mountain, Akkberg finally caught up with and destroyed his enemy in a battle so intense and epic that words could not begin to describe it. So overjoyed at having brought peace to the land, Akkberg began his trek down the mountain, his enemy's head in tow. However, partway through his descent, he slipped on a really bad patch of black ice and tumbled into a deep crevice near the foot of the mountain. Though the name of Toa Akkberg was quickly forgotten, myths from the area would tell of a horrific, skeletal monster that prowled the region, eating any stray travelers. The first mission of the united Toa Titans was to find this monster and restore his sanity, breaking him of the curse that was put on him by an unknown necromancer. Although he is still undead, Akkberg nonetheless maintains his honor as a Toa, albeit a somewhat bruised honor.

His mask is the Mask of Rot, which allows him to keep his otherwise fragile skeletal form together. He can also use it to briefly reanimate beings that have not been affected by a necromancer's curse, using them for information or as allies in combat.
[close]

Toa Kroniss, Titan of Earth

161 pieces total.

Once a cowardly warrior who would flee from all but the most decisively favorable battles, Toa Kroniss spent so much time underground that she began to morph and evolve features resembling those of the underground creatures she lived with, including a drill-equipped tail, night vision, and glowy arms. Spending many years in training, Kroniss has built her skills in combat to the point where she is finally ready to face her fears, and her destiny... or so she says. Only time will tell whether or not she is ready to step up and join the Toa in combat, but the fact that she had to be dragged from her cave by Toa Malwie (a fact she has tried to keep hidden) does not bode well for her.

Her mask is the Mask of Glowing, which can light up at will, to a brightness only limited by the user's strength and concentration. However, due to the changes which she underwent, the mask is now only able to fire an intensely concentrated beam of light out of her single eye, which everyone agrees is a much more useful power than its old one.
[close]
[close]
And the moral of the story: Quit while you're a head.

Fakemon Dex
NSM Sprite Thread
Compositions
Story Thread
The Dread Somber

BlackDragonSlayer

Bump.

Added new stuff because LEGOS ARE ART. Plus, much of what I added (and will be adding) is video-game related.

Fakemon Dex
NSM Sprite Thread
Compositions
Story Thread
The Dread Somber

BlackDragonSlayer

Bump. Reformatting.

Newly added:
Golden Silver: The Process of a Work in Which I Display the Colors of the Faber-Castell Colored Pencils (and yet again display the mediocrity of my scanner)

Fakemon Dex
NSM Sprite Thread
Compositions
Story Thread
The Dread Somber

mikey

unmotivated

Olimar12345

I like the legos! Very cool stuff. Also, nice shading on the "Golden Silver" one.
Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

BlackDragonSlayer

Coincidentally... I've been working on some new things; you can see them in the "Toa Savage" category of the first post. You can also go to the gallery to see front and back views of them (i.e. not put into fancy poses that only show off the best parts of them).

Fakemon Dex
NSM Sprite Thread
Compositions
Story Thread
The Dread Somber

mikey

unmotivated

BlackDragonSlayer

Fakemon Dex
NSM Sprite Thread
Compositions
Story Thread
The Dread Somber

BlackDragonSlayer

And for my next performance...!

Spoiler

More by tomorrow!
[close]

Fakemon Dex
NSM Sprite Thread
Compositions
Story Thread
The Dread Somber

Dudeman

Quote from: braixen1264 on December 03, 2015, 03:52:29 PMDudeman's facial hair is number 1 in my book

braix

Quote from: MaestroUGC on August 19, 2015, 12:22:27 PM
Braixen is a wonderful [insert gender] with beautiful [corresponding gender trait] and is just the darlingest at [stereotypical activity typically associated with said gender] you ever saw.

Dudeman

Quote from: braixen1264 on January 23, 2016, 06:31:57 PMis that what i think it is
Of course!

It's a 3x4 waffle iron leaking oil! That red part is cranberry juice from the spilled glass off-camera that was dropped when BDS ran to get a towel.
Quote from: braixen1264 on December 03, 2015, 03:52:29 PMDudeman's facial hair is number 1 in my book

BlackDragonSlayer

Highlights + commentary!

Spoiler

I tried to make a minifigure-scale Alphys, but it eventually turned into this (which is like twice minifigure height; even though it doesn't accomplish as much as I had originally hoped for, for what it is, I'm really satisfied). Also, note the piece count and pricing, which make things look so much more professional. :P

I was originally going to make this part of a "Hotland" set, but once I realized that Alphys wouldn't work out, I just had to do this instead. Sans would probably need a bigger head: I was hoping to use one of the Skulkin heads, but- guess what- LDD doesn't have it!

I had so much trouble with the refrigerator. That's not even funny. In fact, that fridge is the third version I made.

LOOOOOOOVE how this turned out. Why?
1: Turntable feature.
2: Looks like a perfect little slice of the architecture from the Core. Quite refreshingly colorful.
3: N-n-not because Mettaton or anything!

Turntable.

Now with poses! That was the only wig that really looked good- and even then, I had to do some nontraditional turning in order to make it look more accurate. The figure would probably look much better with printing, although this should give a general idea of what it might look like.

Mettaton can rotate a little bit on the stand (there should be enough friction to stay upright in most poses, though I may be wrong), and move his arms around. There's an extra piece included in order to keep him together off the stand, although that would definitely not be very stable. I originally made the screen 5 studs wide by 4 studs tall, but that ended up being way too big.

This started with the tree... which is not attached to the main build, by the way. The building looks a little bulky from the exterior, but I think it captures the look well, and the size is worth it for the interior. Toriel would probably need a new head, but I did what I could with existing pieces. Flowey was a bit difficult to do at that scale, but it had to be done. :P

This should give an idea of what the interior looks like. I was originally going to do the staircase and living room, but I then decided to start with the kitchen, and ended up not having enough room for the staircase, sooooo... who needs a staircase in the middle of their house, anyway?

I also have two more planned that I wasn't able to finish yet.
[close]

Part 2!!

Not my best work, but it's decent; maybe I'd shorten the platform a little bit so it doesn't look so open and empty. The mountain was worth the work, though.

LEGO Temmie is 10/10.

Currently the biggest LEGO Undertale set I've made, I think it was definitely a good idea to make it at this scale.

Different angle; closer to the one you see in-game. From here, you can notice a little something toward the back...

Inside. A bit small, but overall, it did everything I wanted to accomplish.

The house has a modular design with four sections: the ground floor, the upper floor inside, the upper floor outside, and the roof. Here you can see the ground floor together with the inside and outside upper floors. There would be some printing for the painting and doors, of course.

I admit it: I messed up a bit. But, no worries- I made my mistake into a totally cool feature! This picture shows what happens when you put all four segments together, which you're not supposed to do- instead, you either have the ground floor + upper inside floor + upper outside floor (optional), in order to depict the inside, or ground floor + upper outside floor + roof, in order to depict the outside. Neat, huh? :P Also note, even though it doesn't look like it, the right side of the lower roof does have a bit of support- I made that change after I realized how unstable it would be. Now, it's a little less unstable!

Papyrus and armorless Undyne are exclusive to this set. Oddly enough, I believe armorless Undyne is the only normal-sized minifigure in all of these sets! Nyeh heh heh! Obviously, they'd all look better with printing.
[close]

Fakemon Dex
NSM Sprite Thread
Compositions
Story Thread
The Dread Somber

braix

Quote from: MaestroUGC on August 19, 2015, 12:22:27 PM
Braixen is a wonderful [insert gender] with beautiful [corresponding gender trait] and is just the darlingest at [stereotypical activity typically associated with said gender] you ever saw.

BlackDragonSlayer

More stuff!

Spoiler

This was designed as if it was an exclusive minifigure polybag, like for special offers they do on the LEGO S@H occasionally. I think Chara would be the best figure for something like this, especially since I don't want to try and make Asgore or Asriel at this scale.

I forgot to put the Dummy in with the Ruins, so this will have to do... plus, you get a stick with it!

Wave 2 was my chance to do some more eccentric stuff, so I took it. That transparent brick is supposed to be a Super Jumper.

If you launch Sans with the Super Jumper, Frisk can geeettttttt dunked on!!! Imagine the scoreboard says something like "Sans: 1, Human: 0."

I said I was going to be eccentric, didn't I? This is more of a parody of already-existing LEGO battle packs, because of some weird, uninteresting, or just plain nonfunctional stuff they might or might not put in them.

What a riveting function.

Now you can be a proud parent too with the Temmie Battle Pack!

Recreate deep history with the Temmie Battle Pack!

In terms of length, this is one of the biggest Undertale sets I've made. Wooooo.

It's perfect.

The only shell LDD has is the movie TMNT one, which reaches too far upward, so I had to make my own. I think it looks fine, though.
[close]

MTT Resort

It's beautiful. Truly a labor of love. I intended this to be in the 1200-1400 parts range, but once I started on the lobby, I realized that would never happen. The reason for the high piece count but comparatively low price point is because there are so many 1x1 tiles (literally hundreds upon hundreds).

I managed to get Alphys compressed down to a somewhat-minifigure scale, but ideally, there would be a smaller figure made out of under 10 pieces, like the Rancor or Wampa figures.

A bit wide, but it'll do. The reason for the gap in-between the doors is so that they can actually open!

The fountain doesn't have its own water stream, unfortunately. I can only do so much. :P

whywouldyoumakethisplacenobodywantstobehere

Even though the lobby is well-scaled, the two other sides of the building aren't. Not that that really matters, though...

The doors don't lead anywhere, but they can still open up.

Top view, where you can see just how many 1x1 tiles there are. Like with Waterfall and Thundersnail, there are plates underneath to keep things stable, although the whole thing probably couldn't be moved simply by picking it up.

New Mettaton! This one's a little smaller, and although there's a little less shape and detail to it, I think I might just like it a little bit better.
[close]

Next up: Working on MTT Resort, experimenting with Ultrabuild figures (a bit tough given the lack of BIONICLE 2015 parts), and then back to some original space/future themed stuff (hopefully).

Fakemon Dex
NSM Sprite Thread
Compositions
Story Thread
The Dread Somber