News:

Congratulations!! You, yes, YOU, dear user, have been selected for the "You Read This News Item" award! Click here for your prize!!

Main Menu

Rogues' Gallery: BDS's General Art Thread

Started by BlackDragonSlayer, February 28, 2013, 04:21:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikey

gotta admit those are really cool even if I don't appreciate the subject, I appreciate the medium
unmotivated

BrainyLucario

Wow.  I would totally buy these, if i could. You did an amazing job!
When given the choice between adulting and music, choose music every time.

BlackDragonSlayer

MTT Resort is finished (and WOW is it huge). Now, for my final LEGO Undertale builds for the foreseeable future...

Spoiler

The third one I made. Papyrus didn't have any accessories otherwise, so I gave him a bone. Also, yay for generic heads!...

The fourth one I made. Muffet is probably the one I'm least satisfied with, but I'm sure it would look better with a non-generic head. Muffet doesn't have any accessories, but she has more arms than any of the other figures, so I'm sure that makes up for it...?

The fifth one I made. Genocide bosses weren't getting much representation, so I figured it would be better to do Mettaton NEO instead of Mettaton EX. Like the real thing, he kind of lacks any armor (you can see that from the back view when the folder is approved). ;P The arm cannon is a bit misaligned (and would probably be replaced by a stud shooter- IF WE HAD THEM), and the wings are a little short, but it's not supposed to be 100% perfect- this method of building does have its limitations.

The first one I made. Undyne seemed like a good fit for the Ultrabuild system; the spear is a bit lacking, but I don't know what else I could have done. The figure is a bit thick overall, but I think it works- after all, Undyne is wearing a suit of armor. Getting the bottom part of the armor just right was not easy and required a creative solution.

The second one I made. Asgore didn't get any minifigure representation, so I figured an ultrabuild figure would be the best way to go. The arms lack a lot of motion, and the cape sticks out a little too much, but otherwise, I'm happy with it.

The final one I made, and my personal favorite. The robe required quite a bit of thinking to get just right- both front and back- and borrowed from Undyne, the shoulders were a little tricky, and the swords were just fun to make. It's a little thin when viewed from the side, but I think that works better for the overall shape. Also, just a reminder that the heads are all temporary because I can't make new pieces, unfortunately! :P
[close]
And the moral of the story: Quit while you're a head.

Fakemon Dex
NSM Sprite Thread
Compositions
Story Thread
The Dread Somber

Dudeman

O_O Wow! These are amazing! Kind of makes me actually wish for a line of Undertale ultrabuild figures, as if that was ever going to happen. I think my personal favorites are Undyne and Asgore, in appearance alone.
Quote from: braixen1264 on December 03, 2015, 03:52:29 PMDudeman's facial hair is number 1 in my book

mikey

unmotivated

Zeila

BlackDragonSlayer

Fakemon Dex
NSM Sprite Thread
Compositions
Story Thread
The Dread Somber

Dudeman

Quote from: braixen1264 on December 03, 2015, 03:52:29 PMDudeman's facial hair is number 1 in my book

mikey

I'm sorry but I can't support it

for personal reasons
unmotivated

BlackDragonSlayer

Suddenly, Space Castle!

Spoiler

I built this on a whim and because I had a really good shape in mind for the overall structure. It's not as huge as I originally intended it to be, but I like the end result very much; plus, it gave me good opportunity to experiment with some of the recently-added parts. 529 pieces total.

Left side, where there are tubes and stuff (that's how you can tell it's space!), a turret, and an electrical generator complex.

Right side, where you can see the beams I included so that the wall isn't one giant block of the same color. I don't think they actually do much in terms of support. Also, now's a good time to say that the gate is just a simple "pick up put down" kind of thing- no fancy mechanisms this time, unfortunately!

Hinge and a detachable turret (really, because the hinge would not open all the way with the turret in the way; hehehe).

More of the inside with the hinge, where you can see shields on the wall, a table, and part of the command center. The top of the tower doesn't really do much aside from remind you this is, in fact, a castle (in space!).

Eek! Zombies! The background to this, story wise, is supposed to be that explorers on another planet got infected with an alien pathogen and started turning into zombie/skeleton things (uncharacteristically dark for LEGO!); the remaining explorers and soldiers had to build castles and walls in order to protect themselves from these intelligent-but-very-malicious-and-well-armed creatures. Here you have two zombies, showing different levels of decay: one of them is wearing some sort of clothing and has an alien bow rifle. Also, the space knights look pretty intimidating right now!

Everybody armed. The space knights don't look quite as intimidating without their helmets and breathing masks on (seriously, though, I really like using that robotic face). Also to the right is the "Chief," who must always be a wise old man. *nod*

Now the space knights don't look intimidating at all! From left to right, Sparks the scientist, Chey the strategist, and Isa the weapons master. Writing all this stuff makes me wish that Brickshelf had an "author comments" feature. Oh well.

Sparks, out of armor, getting attacked by a zombie. You silly boy you, Sparks.
[close]

Fakemon Dex
NSM Sprite Thread
Compositions
Story Thread
The Dread Somber

Dudeman

BlackDragonSlayer

New stuff since last time!

Spoiler

[close]

Fakemon Dex
NSM Sprite Thread
Compositions
Story Thread
The Dread Somber

Dudeman

Very nice work, BDS. That last one's from Axiom Verge, right? (I haven't played it, just seen a lot of images.)

BlackDragonSlayer

Yep (and rendered in Bluerender; pretty neat and easy to use!)! I tend to get inspired by games I play and really like, and plus, I hadn't seen anyone else make any, so I figured, why not try! It was harder than I thought it would be, but I took some inspiration from Metroid sets I made a long time ago (no pictures of those, unfortunately: I lost the files many years ago). I also have a few more, simpler ones planned, though they might take a while.

Fakemon Dex
NSM Sprite Thread
Compositions
Story Thread
The Dread Somber

BlackDragonSlayer

Quote from: BlackDragonSlayer on June 06, 2016, 11:58:39 PMsimpler
lol

Part 1 of New Stuff

Telal won't render for some reason. I'll have to keep trying, I guess; the problem might be something with the file itself that could be fixed by making a new one with the same model, or something.
[close]

Part 2 of New Stuff

Everything else seems to render fine, however.

My plan for what this was going to be completely changed partway through building this. The "tank" part of it developed simply because I tried something out I thought was cool, but then got way too involved in. It worked out fine, though!

[close]

Fakemon Dex
NSM Sprite Thread
Compositions
Story Thread
The Dread Somber