News:

Using cutting-edge ray tracing technology, our sheets appear 69% more realistic than the leading bargain brand!

Main Menu

Question!

Started by qwertyo76, March 12, 2013, 03:04:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

qwertyo76

Hello, strangers. I've know about this site for a long time and I come back every few months to check out updates. What I don't know is your policy on other people using your guy's work, and I couldn't find it on the site anywhere. You see there's this game that I like, and I wanted to upload all its main themes to Youtube via Synthesia since they aren't all up, which bugs me. I don't need help with Synthesia or anything like that, I just wanna know if it's discouraged to use this site's .midi's to do somethnig like that. I can always look for them elsewhere, but, um, yeah.

blueflower999

I'm no expert, but someone did do this in the past without giving credit to us in the description, which really pissed some of us off, so you're starting off right!

As far as I know, and unless someone else says otherwise, I'm pretty sure that if you give credit in the description to NinSheetMusic for the sheets and maybe provide a link to the site, then everything should be fine.

Welcome the the site, BTW.
Bulbear! Blueflower999

JDMEK5

Quote from: blueflower999 on March 12, 2013, 03:40:48 PMAs far as I know, and unless someone else says otherwise, I'm pretty sure that if you give credit in the description to NinSheetMusic for the sheets and maybe provide a link to the site, then everything should be fine.
A solid answer, but yes. We should get a moderator on this.
"Today's goal strongly involves not dying. Because nobody likes to wake up dead."

My Arrangements
Finale Version(s): Finale Notepad 2012, Finale 2012, Finale v26

SlowPokemon

I'd say no, but that's just me. DEFINITELY give credit if you're going to. I'm generally against posting another's work, let alone the works of multiple people. It would be best to get each arranger's consent before you uploaded his or her work.
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

JDMEK5

Quote from: SlowPokemon on March 12, 2013, 04:10:23 PMIt would be best to get each arranger's consent before you uploaded his or her work.
Another good point.

Quote from: SlowPokemon on March 12, 2013, 04:10:23 PMI'm generally against posting another's work, let alone the works of multiple people.
I would agree with that, assuming no consent has been granted.
"Today's goal strongly involves not dying. Because nobody likes to wake up dead."

My Arrangements

qwertyo76

Well, I thought from the start I'd put something along the lines of "Credit goes to Ninsheetmusic.com and USER for the original .midi," in the description.

I also kinda figured it would depend on the individual consent of the makers, that's what it boils down to afterall, but I thought maybe the site had a policy that all work featured on the site can be used so long as proper credit is given or, something.

Bubbles

No one ever reads the description XD You should do that as well as put a little opening or annotation in the actualy video so people are FORCED to see it

I remember when I arranged a song that Bespinben's youtube followers wanted him to make, and he asked me for my permission before he posted it. I thought that was fine, so you could pm the arrangers individually.

FSM-Reapr

Quote from: SlowPokemon on March 12, 2013, 04:10:23 PMI'd say no, but that's just me. DEFINITELY give credit if you're going to. I'm generally against posting another's work, let alone the works of multiple people. It would be best to get each arranger's consent before you uploaded his or her work.
Agreed.

Also since you didn't do the arranging yourself, I'd put the arranger's name in the actual video TITLE.

JDMEK5

Quote from: Bubbles7689 on March 12, 2013, 04:54:51 PMYou should do that as well as put a little opening or annotation in the actualy video so people are FORCED to see it.
Maybe actual video because a lot of people (myself included) turn off the annotations immediately.

My Arrangements

Olimar12345

Putting a link in the description would be enough. People will find it if they look for it.

However, technically speaking, you don't have to credit us at all. Though we would be very greatful if you did, as many hours went into the transcribing and arranging of our sheets all at no cost for the public.

Welcome to the forums, and thanks for bringing up this delicate topic, as it needed to be addressed.
Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

Jamaha

It's come up before, sometimes with people asking to upload the entire (!!) collection on their channel. I wasn't too fond of the idea.

It's a tricky situation, though. Technically we don't own the sheets, but some effort still went into them by our arrangers. I'd say the optimal solution would be to contact each arranger individually and find out if they're okay with it / how they want to be credited.

I should probably write some kind of useful FAQ on these things. Oh well, maybe someday.

MaestroUGC

Honestly, the way it should be is that the performer attributes the piece to its original composer(s) and the arrangement they used to its arranger(s) as indicated on the published sheet. That is how attribution is done in any concert setting, I see no reason as to why it should be different here. Sure, it may not be an actual performance, but the intention is still the same, plus it all leads back to the site in the end. Just slap a link to the site in the description and everybody should be happy.

Title of the Piece - Synthesia - Composer/Arranger
Link in the description.
Try to do everything; you're bound to succeed with at least one.

Waddle Bro

Isn't it plagiarism if you take someone else's work and "let people assume" that you did it all?

Just wondering.

MaestroUGC

No, plagiarism is where you actually claim for everything to be original and belong to you.
Try to do everything; you're bound to succeed with at least one.

Waddle Bro

Oh. Thank you for clarifying that for me.