News:

Download Finale Notepad 2012 free here!

Main Menu

What key/time signature is this song in?

Started by The Deku Trombonist, March 24, 2013, 03:27:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sebastian

braix

Quote from: Jompa on August 11, 2014, 02:30:38 PMIt starts out in G major, then when it modulates it's B major, and then it modulates to A major, and then back on repeat.
Thanks
Quote from: MaestroUGC on August 19, 2015, 12:22:27 PM
Braixen is a wonderful [insert gender] with beautiful [corresponding gender trait] and is just the darlingest at [stereotypical activity typically associated with said gender] you ever saw.

Sebastian

Out of curiosity, are you arranging this? :)

Maelstrom

I know this is in B flat, but what time signature is it in? The bass keeps messing me up. It would help if I knew what beats it was on..

Echo

^ Pretty sure it's 5/4. There's a rhythm throughout the song that's pretty common in 5/4 songs (the strings at 0:14), and Yoko does a lot of 5/4 songs too.

Jompa

Quote from: maelstrom. on August 12, 2014, 07:37:35 PMI know this is in B flat, but what time signature is it in?
It's more like G-minor, and then it goes to C-minor (but that's really brief, so maybe you shouldn't include it) , and then to F-minor.
It's just 5/4 all the way.
Birdo for Smash

Bloop

This doesn't really belong here but it's kinda related.

This song modulates into Ab minor (I think) at 0:19, but I'm not sure how to write down the accidentals for the melody.
The notes in the first measure after the key change are Ab, Eb, D, Db, C, B, Bb, A. Should I use some weird accidentals like double flat stuff or should I just change the key signature to G# minor?

Jompa

Quote from: Bloop on August 30, 2014, 04:18:24 PMShould I use some not weird at all accidentals like double flat stuff?
That would be the correct way of doing it in Ab-minor, but I don't see why you're even doing the song in Ab-minor, when G#-minor has less accidentals.
Birdo for Smash

FireArrow

^Pretty much. They're only chromatics anyways, I wouldn't over think it.
Quote from: Dudeman on January 23, 2017, 05:35:59 PM
straight from the department of redundancy department

Bloop

Quote from: Jompa on August 30, 2014, 04:46:27 PMbut I don't see why you're even doing the song in Ab-minor, when G#-minor has less accidentals.
The first part of the song is in Bb-minor, and I thought switching from Bb-minor to G#-minor would make some hard time reading the sheet.

Jompa

Quote from: Bloop on August 30, 2014, 04:47:59 PMThe first part of the song is in Bb-minor, and I thought switching from Bb-minor to G#-minor would make some hard time reading the sheet.
Nah, that shouldn't be something to worry about. Any modulation should make the performer have to readjust themselves, so in this case it's not a problem. If you were modulating to like the subdominant, or something like that, then it would be something to think about, but modulating down a whole step doesn't have that diatonic function stuff over it as much.
But ofc, you decide! Ab-minor is just as correct as G#-minor, it's just it's less readable. But if you're not up to using double flats (which you have to do in Ab-minor), then choose G#-minor.
Birdo for Smash

Bloop

Then I'll gladly make it G#-minor :p Thanks!

Olimar12345

Quote from: Bloop on August 30, 2014, 04:47:59 PMThe first part of the song is in Bb-minor, and I thought switching from Bb-minor to G#-minor would make some hard time reading the sheet.

If it really bothered you, you could put the beginning in A# minor d:  it's up to you.
Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

SlowPokemon

In truth, A-flat minor is a lot easier to read than G-sharp minor anyway....
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

Olimar12345

^its a matter of opinion, really. As a brass player I'm with you on this one but some people prefer five sharps over seven flats.
Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!