News:

We seem to have trapped one of the mods within the forum's code... and we're not sure how to get him out. Oh well, he'll figure it out!

Main Menu

What key/time signature is this song in?

Started by The Deku Trombonist, March 24, 2013, 03:27:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sebastian

Dont know where else to post this but where in finale our those line that point from left hand to right hand at or......?

Sebastian

lol nvm. I found it. It's the line tool

Maelstrom

I can't figure out for the life of me whether this should be ♩=45 or ♩=90.
And whether it changes when it swaps to 3/4 at 1:26
And wth is the key signature. It's something weird, all right.

Sebastian

Wow!
That is one weird song. It feels like it's in D Minor (1 flat) throughout the beginning.
The time sig is another story. I Can't pinpoint it. It felt like 4/4 6/4 and even 6/8 at some spots. Idk :/
Tough song.

MaestroUGC

Try to do everything; you're bound to succeed with at least one.

Maelstrom

I think he confused the relative major and minor.

Any second opinions?

Sebastian

Quote from: Maelstrom on April 25, 2015, 12:39:04 PMI think he confused the relative major and minor.
Whoops I was thinking D but my fingers put F
Sorry XD

InsigTurtle

The first part feels like 4/4 time or something similar before going to 3/4. After that, it sounds like 4/4 again.
I would notate the first part in D minor and the second part in F minor, adding those flats as accidentals. I have no idea what the key signature is when that organ comes in...

Maelstrom

My real question is, is it ♩=45 or ♩=90?

Sebastian

Quote from: Maelstrom on April 25, 2015, 01:12:20 PMMy real question is, is it ♩=45 or ♩=90?
I'd go 90.....personally. But I don't think it really matters

Maelstrom

Quote from: mariolegofan on April 25, 2015, 01:13:56 PMI'd go 90.....personally. But I don't think it really matters
But then the quarter tied over the bar line feels really unnatural.

Sebastian

Maelstrom

The Deku Trombonist

I'm on my phone so I can't really offer anything remotely concrete, but have you considered a different time signature, such as 4/2 with minim = 45?

Jompa

Just to clear up, for the key signature:
It starts with that D-minor-thing. There is a feeling of phrygian here. It then goes to that C-minor-chord-thing, but the tonal center actually also changes to C-minor, where there also is a phrygian feel. I would not notate this key change because it happens again and again and only stay in one of the keys for short periods.
When the organ takes over (0:45) it is in Bb-minor.
Then it goes to Db-minor for those weird rhythm stuff, and then to Eb-minor over the same rhythm stuff, and then it goes of to some strange free-tonal-ish stuff, but that's basically there so it can land on that Eb-chord which leads to D-minor at the repeat.
Birdo for Smash