News:

Found an issue in the Requests Board? Let Bubbles know!

Main Menu

What key/time signature is this song in?

Started by The Deku Trombonist, March 24, 2013, 03:27:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheMarioPianist

I think this song is probably going to be one of the worst nightmares to arrange, but whatever. From what I've listened to and read about this song, it is mainly free time with occasional measures of 4/4 and 5/4 (No idea where these are, just read that). So, since it is most likely free time (if you detect that it isn't, enlighten me), should I give it a time signature? If I should, which one? And if it should be written as simply free time, how does one do that in Finale?
"I'm always here to help. Except when I'm not." ~Latios212

"If you're interested in 'balancing' work and pleasure, stop trying to balance them. Instead make your work more pleasurable." ~Donald J. Trump

Transcriber
M-updater
Piano player

SlowPokemon

Why would you arrange this piece hahaha

Like I really enjoy how off the wall and quirky it is but I don't know that a piano arrangement is the best idea? If you're sure you want to, this piece has a few different options. The one I'm leaning toward is just not using any meter and notating it exactly how it sounds, since I can't see another way to arrange it that would benefit the pianist much. You could also just put the notes in, not strictly adhering to the piece's heard rhythm, and just say "improvise" in some of the expressive text. However, since our goal for this site is accuracy, the former is my vote.
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

TheMarioPianist

Quote from: SlowPokemon on September 15, 2015, 07:14:24 PMWhy would you arrange this piece hahaha
IMMA STUPID HUMAN DEAL WITH IT! Besides, I'm the one who's gonna attempt to get the first accepted medley on site in ages...if I found time to actually arrange it.

Quote from: SlowPokemon on September 15, 2015, 07:14:24 PMLike I really enjoy how off the wall and quirky it is but I don't know that a piano arrangement is the best idea? If you're sure you want to, this piece has a few different options. The one I'm leaning toward is just not using any meter and notating it exactly how it sounds, since I can't see another way to arrange it that would benefit the pianist much. You could also just put the notes in, not strictly adhering to the piece's heard rhythm, and just say "improvise" in some of the expressive text. However, since our goal for this site is accuracy, the former is my vote.
I agree, the former is probably the best option.

"If you're interested in 'balancing' work and pleasure, stop trying to balance them. Instead make your work more pleasurable." ~Donald J. Trump

Transcriber
M-updater
Piano player

TheMarioPianist

Hey, another question, is this song in E major or E mixolydian? I hear a lot of D naturals in there (aka flatted seventh) so that is what leaned me towards the latter...

Transcriber
M-updater
Piano player

InsigTurtle

Mmm, you also have that b2 to worry about, so it wouldn't exactly be pure E mixolydian.

I'm not too familiar with key signatures of non-traditional western scales, but I just thought I should mention that.

TheMarioPianist

Quote from: InsigTurtle on September 15, 2015, 07:32:56 PMMmm, you also have that b2 to worry about, so it wouldn't exactly be pure E mixolydian.

I'm not too familiar with key signatures of non-traditional western scales, but I just thought I should mention that.
It's ok, neither am I. I just take chances at sounding somewhat intelligent...usually I fail. :P

Transcriber
M-updater
Piano player

Sebastian

Quote from: SlowPokemon on September 15, 2015, 07:14:24 PMWhy would you arrange this piece hahaha
Trust me, we wouldn't be arranging it if we didn't have too :P
It's a replacement which has to be done in order for the Super Mario 64 Project to come to completion.

Tobbeh99

I found a couple of good pages for this issue:
Free Time: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_time_(music)
Notating in Finale: https://www.finalemusic.com/UserManuals/Finale2014Mac/Content/Finale/Chant.htm

Haven't read thoroughly but they seem pretty legit. Hiding measure lines, time signatures to create free time, maybe put some dashed lines or other stuff to help the performer see certain parts. 

One other option could be to notate it completely accurate. Will probably be a bit messy with all kinds of time signatures.

Here is one example of a piece in free time: http://imslp.eu/Files/imglnks/euimg/c/cd/IMSLP237520-PMLP07506-Satie__Erik-Klavierwerke_Peters_Klemm_Band_1_04_Gnossiennes_scan.pdf

As for other exotic scales. If it is a scale with seven or less notes then it is pretty simple, just base it around a diatonic scale. An example: having an E-minor scale with a flat 2nd. Then use accidentals whenever that note shows up. Listening to the song I can tell that it is E is the root note, so I think it might be a wise idea to write it in E-major, especially if it's true what slow said that the song has other intervals and not being a straight mixolydian scale.

Here is an example of a song I arranged that goes in some Egyptian-like scale, I used accidentals to cover up the scale: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/24842881/Yu-Gi-Oh%21%20Dark%20Duel%20Stories/Duel%21%20VS%20Shadi.zip
Quote from: Dudeman on August 16, 2016, 06:11:42 AM
tfw you get schooled in English grammar by a guy whose first language is not English

10/10 tobbeh

Altissimo

Quote from: Tobbeh99 on September 16, 2015, 05:58:01 AMAs for other exotic scales. If it is a scale with seven or less notes then it is pretty simple, just base it around a diatonic scale. An example: having an E-minor scale with a flat 2nd. Then use accidentals whenever that note shows up.

The thing is, that would be the Phrygian mode. We've had many a discussion over whether to notate pieces as if they are minor/major w/ accidentals, or show the mode in the key signature.

Tobbeh99

True, I think it's best to first write down the notes to see. If it's a diatonic mode, like phrygian,  then the case is settled, if not we'll discuss it to find the best solution.
Quote from: Dudeman on August 16, 2016, 06:11:42 AM
tfw you get schooled in English grammar by a guy whose first language is not English

10/10 tobbeh

Jompa

Not phrygian. Dominant-phrygian. Write it as E-major (this isn't lame-ass choir music).
Birdo for Smash

braix

bumping this sorry.

I need the time sig for this song. I'm not sure if 4/4 is right or not. It feels a little off somehow
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6LmMCuGjfA&index=22&list=PLpJl5XaLHtLX-pDk4kctGxtF4nq6BIyjg
Quote from: MaestroUGC on August 19, 2015, 12:22:27 PM
Braixen is a wonderful [insert gender] with beautiful [corresponding gender trait] and is just the darlingest at [stereotypical activity typically associated with said gender] you ever saw.

FireArrow

It's 4/4, just be careful of syncopation and tempo changes.
Quote from: Dudeman on January 23, 2017, 05:35:59 PM
straight from the department of redundancy department

TheMarioPianist

Key sig, anyone? I originally said D major; then I heard the other sharps and flats... :P Can anyone identify, does this ever settle on one key or does it just keep changing? Usually I'm good at these...

Transcriber
M-updater
Piano player

TheMarioPianist

Transcriber
M-updater
Piano player