Started by Jamaha, November 09, 2012, 01:04:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dude

spitllama

You're still a negative nancy Dude :(
Submissions Page
Currently using Finale 2012

Dude

They say pessimists live longer than optimists. :)

BlackDragonSlayer

Quote from: Dude on March 06, 2013, 03:06:52 PMThey say pessimists live longer than optimists. :)
Never heard that. :P Pessimists, I would assume, tend to be worried more, usually leading to more stress, etc.
And the moral of the story: Quit while you're a head.

Fakemon Dex
NSM Sprite Thread
Compositions
Story Thread
The Dread Somber

JDMEK5

Huh. That goes against everything I've heard for the last 10 years.
"Today's goal strongly involves not dying. Because nobody likes to wake up dead."

My Arrangements
Finale Version(s): Finale Notepad 2012, Finale 2012, Finale v26

BlackDragonSlayer

Quote from: Dude on March 06, 2013, 04:19:44 PMhttp://news.yahoo.com/blogs/geekquinox/week-silly-studies-pessimists-live-longer-133658876.html

suck it.
"Pessimism about the future may encourage people to live more carefully, taking health and safety precautions."

That's talking about lifestyle choices; that doesn't necessarily mean that optimism or pessimism are the causes of them (for example, if you are a pessimist, it does not necessarily mean that you'll make better health decisions; it's just a matter of how much attention you pay to them.

The article itself is essentially saying that if you have low expectations for everything, you'll never be disappointed (obviously :P).

Here's are some good comments relating to that (on the website):
Spoiler
Quote from: QuintA man had two sons, one was an infernal optimist and the other was an infernal pesimist. He decided he was going to try and break each other of such a severe outlook on life. So, for the pesimist son he thought he would surprise him with a brand new toy to show him good things can come your way and to the optimist son he decided to fill his room full of manure to teach him that life wasn't always rosy. So, when the father handed his pesitmist his new toy truck the pesimist son took the truck, and just held it in his hand. His father asked, why aren't you playing with your toy truck. The child looks up and starts crying, "I don't want to daddy, I might break it". Frustrated, he said to his optimist son, go up to your bedroom, I've got a surprise for you. The optimist son ran upstairs to see what his father got him. After 10 minutes of waiting downstairs the father was curious about what happened to his optimist son, surely all that manure would take the wind out of his sails. He finally got up and went up stairs to see what happened to his son. When he got to the door, his son, all soiled was pulling and throwing handfuls of manure out into the hall. When he spotted his father he said, "Ooh Daddy, I know there's a pony in here somewhere."

Quote from: poppedshamuI'm pessimistic and I have no serious health problems. Don't expect much and you won't be disappointed.

Quote from: PhilGetting things done and being careful and livuing healthier have nothign to do with being pessimistc, it's called being a realist. I know many old-school people think those are one in the same, but they're not. You can be positive and happy and still be careful and make healthy life choices and live happily. The idea that you have to be negative in order to be prepared is nonsense.

Quote from: ElaineYou have got to be kidding! There is a world of difference between pessimism and realism. Of course pessimists would live longer; they probably don't ever leave the house. The rest of us just go out there and live our lives. I'd rather see my cup half full than half empty. Enjoy the day.

[close]

And, to end it:
Quote from: Winston ChurchillA pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.
And the moral of the story: Quit while you're a head.

Fakemon Dex
NSM Sprite Thread
Compositions
Story Thread
The Dread Somber

Olimar12345

Guys. Move yo convo elsewhere.
Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

Dude

Why does BDS have to make a fucking debate out of everything? -_-

FSM-Reapr

Quote from: Dude on March 07, 2013, 07:31:50 AMWhy does BDS have to make a fucking debate out of everything? -_-
qft

It's pissing people off, seriously.

ASH501ST

Yay for more updaters!
Per Audacia Ad Astra...