News:

Iron gates are a thing of the past! Now, you can access your yard with the all-new NinSheetMusic-brand Teleportation Technology!

Main Menu

Orchestral Video Game Suite

Started by Brian, May 14, 2008, 11:21:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HugoMeister

I once played "Fantasia on a Theme by Thomas Tallis". Took about 15 minutes.

Quote from: sipan1234bow to the longest child ever

Sirus

Symphony No.25- 8 minutes  :-[
i feel so wimpy
im sure we can play much more
but our orchestra teacher obviously doubts we can

Brian

Alright lets make it about 20 minutes more or less, somewhere around there. Hmm about 10-15 franchises I would say. I did a quick google search and the longest performance time is somewhere from 45 min to 1 hour; no breaks.

My random suggestions: Super Mario Bros., the Legend of Zelda, Sonic the Hedgehog, Super Smash Bros. (their themes), F-Zero, Kirby, Starfox, Pokemon, Metroid, Donkey Kong, Tetris, Metal Gear, Kid Icarus, Fire Emblem, Final Fantasy, Chrono Trigger/Cross, Halo, Banjo Kazooie, Megaman, Kingdom Hearts, Street Fighter, and err... many many more :D

I watched your video Sirus. Does your school only do string quintet? Well the entire music class has to be motivated if they're gonna persuade the teacher. Otherwise I can see why your teacher doesn't think you guys can do it. Sure you can do it by yourself, but the others... how are they?

HugoMeister

If we do Kingdom Hearts, would we be doing the orchestrated Hikari and Passion songs? That would be awesome. In fact, I wouldn't mind taking up Passion. :D

killers4793

i think my orchestra can do 30 or more min easly but we are the top public orchestra in the state

random_goldfish

The Planet Suite is 50 minutes long...I love that suite...Holst rules.
Mairéad Murphy-Irish extraornaire fiddles on the roof and where ever she damn well pleases. ^_^

Brian

MetroidHunter26

I would like to take over the Metroid,Star Fox,Metal Gear Solid,Halo, & Banjo-Kazooie franchises if we are going to do 20 min GREAT Video Game Orchestral Suite!

(And on a greedier note can we also make one for concert band but a little more shorter [like 2-3 min] so My band can play it ;D and I'll record it!)

Brian

Here are the instruments I'm gonna be using.

Piccolo; Flute 1,2; Oboe 1,2; Clarinet 1,2; Bass clarinet; Bassoon 1,2; Horn 1,2; Horn 3,4; trumpet 1,2,3 (divided into 2 staves); Trombone 1,2,3 (divided into 2 staves); Tuba; Harp; Piano; Violin 1; Violin 2; Viola; Cello; Contrabass. Timpani; Cymbals; Glockenspiel (bells); Tubular Bells; Snare drum; Basic orch percussion; Marimba, xylophone. No choir. I don't see many schools combining orchestra with choirs. The reason being is that your voices at this age are not maturely developed enough so I decided to take it off the list (not many of you are in college yet).

I have to go back and check on the tutorials to make sure it's right. It needs to be very well balanced when grouping instruments together unless someone can tell me if it's right.

Some of you people are probably out of it. If that's the case, don't start with a very large score, it can be mind-numbing. Start with something like a piano duet or an instrument you're good at. Play, improvise, and arrange with your real instrument. Grab a notepad and jot down a list of songs you think will transition well. Play it out in your head before attempting to arrange the songs. After you figure it out, grab some already made mus files on NSM or extract the notation from a midi at vgmusic just to get your ideas down. Though... *looks at G-han* not all arrangements on this site are good.

HugoMeister

Well, to be honest, my orchestra combines more with our choir than we do with the band. :P

Songs I would love to work on:

Omg Baba Yetu from Civilization IV would be awesome! Be a good song to use choir for too.

Oh, and Kingdom Hearts: Fantasia Alla Marcia for Piano, Chorus, and Orchestra would be awesome too, but I can't do things like this by ear....

Quote from: Brian on May 19, 2008, 08:30:49 PMCan someone tell me where to find this theme? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSN0A43i_oA

I don't recall hearing that in-game. Is that the demo music?

Brian

Ok I'll add the Choirs (SATB). The score was really small when I added them. I haven't used the lyrics tool in Finale so I think it's worth a try.

I just googled windwaker main theme and I found that. It sounds like the ocean theme, but slightly different. I searched the soundtracks, and I couldn't find it. I really like that song.

Those songs you mentioned, can you provide an mp3? I wanna listen to it.

Brian

I'll be away for a couple days. I gotta fulfill some requests at vgsheets. Can't leave those people waiting.

HugoMeister

I added links to the above post. I appologize for the K.K. rider one. :P

Brian

I'm back! I wanna do random songs though. I don't want to do Mario all the way in section A then LoZ in section B, etc. Best if it's random since during my sleep I began putting themes I already know together. I'll see if I can upload a couple ost.

MetroidHunter26

Quote from: Brian on May 23, 2008, 08:22:03 PMI'm back! I wanna do random songs though. I don't want to do Mario all the way in section A then LoZ in section B, etc. Best if it's random since during my sleep I began putting themes I already know together. I'll see if I can upload a couple ost.
Like what kind of random songs! like songs people might know? (If so that would be SHWEET!! I would put Jump in the line XD and Children of Sanchez XD)