News:

NinSheetMusic is 1264 years old!

Main Menu

Super Smash Bros Fisticuffs for Wii U and Nintendo 3DS

Started by Yugi, July 13, 2013, 09:00:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What newcomer do you want to see as DLC?

King K. Rool
Snake
Geno
Shovel Knight
Banjo
Professor Layton ahahaha if he gets picked i'd be surprised
someone else i'm forgetting

KefkaticFanatic

Quote from: FireArrow on October 27, 2014, 07:23:26 PMI rarely lag, and when I do, it's usually because my opponent has shitty internet. Nintendo's online isn't the best, but if you have good connection it works fine.

People usually think it's this simple, but there are many people that a) use the same connection for a wide variety of other games with no issue and/or b) have super expensive fast internet and still have issues.

And slow pls, see Pokemon XY running in 3D for easy hardware example :P

me irl
[close]

Nebbles

Yeah, my internet is pretty good but I've still experienced lag. Even in LOCAL matches, I've gotten lag. I hope this is fixed in the Wii U version...
Quote from: Dudeman on April 13, 2016, 04:54:04 PM
- Nebbles, the beauty with the heart of frozen steel

Maelstrom

I'm pretty sure the online works like most other fighting games. The nintendo server picks a random person to host the match, and the lag is mostly dependant on their connection. If their upload/download speed is bad, the match is laggy. It's as simple as that

SuperFireKirby

Quote from: SlowPokemon on October 27, 2014, 07:33:22 PMThe point of smash is that none of the characters are OP
The Spacies would like to disagree with you. So would Brawl Metaknight.

Also, Nocturne anyone who plays with items while trying to take the game seriously...just no. Items are for when you're just screwing around and are having fun. Items aren't meant for when you want to actually having a balanced, fair game.

Quote from: Mashi on March 26, 2013, 05:54:37 PMAfter viewing both FMA:Brotherhood and Naruto Shippuden, it would be frivolous to even consider watching an anime as unbearably mediocre as Melancholy. NARUTOxHINATA 4 LYFE!!!

FierceDeity

Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on October 27, 2014, 07:28:03 PMI gotta say I'm not a fan of this game on the 3DS.  My friend brought it over and I was lucky enough to play it for a bit.
-New items are cool (gust bellows <3)
-Characters that have historically been annoying are still annoying
-Greninja was purposely made OP, and his up B is pikachu's quick attack but better (also bunny hood on this guy is ridic)
-Rosalina's ^B is the best recovery move in the game, but also least forgiving.
-The button scheme feels weird somehow.  Maybe I'm too used to the GCN, but the 3DS just feels uncomfortable.
-Palutena is probably my favorite character out of the ones I played.
Quote from: SlowPokemon on October 27, 2014, 07:33:22 PMWow, I think I disagree with you on every point you've made.
1. I don't like most of the new items, though the gust bellows are neat in concept. I find that items in general just annoy me in this iteration, but that might be because I'm older idk.
2. I don't understand what you mean by "characters that have historically been annoying" lol
3. Greninja was "purposely made OP?" You totally lost me?? The point of smash is that none of the characters are OP, not to mention I find Greninja really difficult to play with.
4. Rosalina is the best new character in the game period 8) though I guess I don't really have anything to disagree with here. The launch star element of her up-B move means that she's propelled a long way, but diagonally, so it takes some getting used to.
5. The button scheme is customizable and aside from the L and R buttons the button scheme is exactly the same so I don't really see how that's a valid complaint
6. Eh I have no opinion on Palutena, the general consensus is that she's the least fun interestingly. I don't hate her or anything but she's sort of bland.

1. Items r 4 n00bz
...I'm only half joking, haha. I think I feel just the way about items in this game as I have in every iteration. Some are really fucking OP, like the gust bellows, which I throw away every time I find it in a classic match, just because it's an auto win. They're definitely fun concepts, and were fun to play around with for the first couple days of having the game, but in terms of balance, they're incredibly unfair and randomizing (just as they always have been, and just as they were intended to be).
TL;DR items are good for casual dicking around but nothing else

2. I mean, they nerfed meta knight, I really don't know what more you could ask for, haha. I'm assuming nocturne is referring to spammy characters, which are pretty easily dealt with (except, again, for Brawl's iteration of meta knight)

3. While the intention is that the characters all be relatively even, that definitely hasn't ever been/isn't currently the case. I think they made a greater effort in this version than they ever had to balance it out, but that doesn't mean that there won't be (nor that there aren't already) pretty clear tiers of characters. Greninja is definitely going to be high tier when "official" (i.e. smashboards) listings get out; its down air combos super well (reverse air juggling, anyone?), its counter has both good reach and decent duration, its side special is pretty hard to counter without playing at a really high level, and it has great recovery.

Though nocturne, I really wouldn't call it "pikachu's quick attack but better". It does no damage; it's like a mix between that and Mario's F.L.U.D.D.

4. Is it really the best recovery move in the game? Pit/dark pit's up specials have pretty similar recovery potential, and to say all three are objectively the best kinda doesn't take into account things with greater distance/duration (R.O.B.), nor things with more ledge guard countering. I'm not saying they're not better (Duck Hunt's up B makes you SO vulnerable, holy shit), I'm just saying there's a lot more than going a large amount of distance in a small amount of time to consider.

5. I mean, the L and R thing has been bothering me a lot. I switched them, and it's been so weird not just doing everything with my right index finger. I still occasionally grab instead of rolling (though I only made the switch like two days ago). Other than that, the lack of C stick is pretty painful, as well. It seems like a minor (potentially negligible, assuming perfect play) difference, but it's been making quite a difference in the way I play.
EDIT: Also, the circle pad is definitely harder to control than a joystick. It's really hard to do up/side tilt moves without accidentally moving, and just more difficult to move specific distances in general.

6. I'm not crazy about Palutena either. She's ranked pretty low on current voter-based tier lists, and, while these aren't all that reliable (Dark Pit is ranked 5 higher than Pit, somehow?), it's not very reassuring to see her down at #36. My guess is Nintendo really wanted to use her to showcase the customization feature, seeing as her choices for specials are so different from one another, in comparison to the other characters.

HOLY SHIT GUYS I WASN'T TRYING TO WRITE AN ESSAY THIS TIME I SWEAR

SlowPokemon

I DON'T BELIEVE U FD NOBODY WRITES ESSAYS ACCIDENTALLY

LIKE "OOPS THERE'S ANOTHER ESSAY HAHA SRRY"
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

SuperFireKirby

If only Fierce devoted this kind of thought power and time to solving world hunger, imagine where we'd be right now.

Quote from: Mashi on March 26, 2013, 05:54:37 PMAfter viewing both FMA:Brotherhood and Naruto Shippuden, it would be frivolous to even consider watching an anime as unbearably mediocre as Melancholy. NARUTOxHINATA 4 LYFE!!!

MaestroUGC

I'd probably still be in this chair.

That'd be great if he did something like that but I'm not hungry.
Try to do everything; you're bound to succeed with at least one.

FierceDeity

No but like, actually, I just make an attempt to respond to each part of what people say, and one comparatively small thing adds up to another and, whoops, essay. maybe I should try cutting it down to something people will actually read

MaestroUGC

Sorry, you trailed off at the end and I stopped reading.

Can you give me the short version?
Try to do everything; you're bound to succeed with at least one.

BlackDragonSlayer

As Yugi has probably seen, I got the game yesterday (I would be playing it right now, but my brother is! Myaah!). My early observation is that Mii Brawler is AWESOME.
And the moral of the story: Quit while you're a head.

Fakemon Dex
NSM Sprite Thread
Compositions
Story Thread
The Dread Somber

Kman96

So...I think I may have discovered something that I haven't seen anyone here or on YouTube mention, and maybe it's just a coincidence.

Essentially, my conjecture is that, once you meet the requirements to unlock a character, if you die while fighting them after Classic mode, they will continue to appear every time after you beat classic mode. That means that you can't unlock any more characters until you unlock the current one. Here is my proof.

The requirements to unlock Dr. Mario are: Clear Classic Mode as Mario on intensity 4.0 or higher, or alternatively, Play 60 matches. I played Classic mode as Mario on 5.0 difficulty and got to the end of classic mode. I fought Dr. Mario once and was totally destroyed by him. I repeated classic mode with mario and lost to him again. Then I set my 3DS down (off and everything) and went to class. When I came back, I decided that I wanted to try to unlock Lucina using Marth on Classic mode without continuing. So, I set the difficulty down to 3.0 (below the level required to unlock Dr. Mario w/Mario), and played through classic mode, yet at the end, I was still forced to fight Dr. Mario instead of Lucina. It would have alerted me if I had played 60 matches, so I know that's not it. The only thing other than the difficulty and the character choice that I did was that when I played as Marth, I took the black path and fought Master + Crazy Hand(s). So, either my conjecture is correct, or I discovered another way to unlock Dr. Mario.

Thoughts? Dr. Mario is a pain in my ass.

EDIT: UPDATE: I just beat 100 Man Mode  with Link to try to unlock Wario AND GUESS WHO SHOWED UP? Dr. FUCKING Mario. I beat his ass, though.

EDIT2: UPDATE AGAIN: I beat 100 Man Mode AGAIN with Link, expecting to get Wario, and LUCINA SHOWS UP?!?!?! I'm starting to think that as the game registers that you have completed the requirements to unlock them, they just randomly appear after you complete a milestone challenge like Classic or 100-Man smash.
Party Hard!
[close]

Jamaha

Just play the regular Smash mode. Once you have fulfilled the requirements the new fighters show up even after a simple 1-stock Smash battle.

BlackDragonSlayer

Quote from: Kman96 on October 29, 2014, 11:21:46 PMThe requirements to unlock Dr. Mario are: Clear Classic Mode as Mario on intensity 4.0 or higher, or alternatively, Play 60 matches. I played Classic mode as Mario on 5.0 difficulty and got to the end of classic mode. I fought Dr. Mario once and was totally destroyed by him. I repeated classic mode with mario and lost to him again. Then I set my 3DS down (off and everything) and went to class. When I came back, I decided that I wanted to try to unlock Lucina using Marth on Classic mode without continuing. So, I set the difficulty down to 3.0 (below the level required to unlock Dr. Mario w/Mario), and played through classic mode, yet at the end, I was still forced to fight Dr. Mario instead of Lucina. It would have alerted me if I had played 60 matches, so I know that's not it. The only thing other than the difficulty and the character choice that I did was that when I played as Marth, I took the black path and fought Master + Crazy Hand(s). So, either my conjecture is correct, or I discovered another way to unlock Dr. Mario.
Something similar just happened to me earlier. I tried to unlock Ganondorf, failed, then tried to unlock Lucina, got Ganondorf, failed again, then beat Classic with the Mii Brawler and POUNDED GANONDORF TO THE GROUND... but that last part is irrelevant.

According to your conjecture, if I were to beat Classic again, I would encounter Lucina next, correct?
And the moral of the story: Quit while you're a head.

Fakemon Dex
NSM Sprite Thread
Compositions
Story Thread
The Dread Somber

Kman96

Quote from: BlackDragonSlayer on October 30, 2014, 04:28:01 AMAccording to your conjecture, if I were to beat Classic again, I would encounter Lucina next, correct?
Yes, I believe that would happen. Even if you beat classic on any difficulty, she will appear.
Party Hard!
[close]