Jegilmer's Arrangements: New Paper Mario: TTYD!

Started by jegilmer, August 26, 2013, 09:37:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jegilmer

Do you guys have any tips on cleaning up my posts? The hyperlinks look really messy.

Bubbles

Quote from: Winter on December 06, 2011, 12:00:54 AMIt's simple. First use
[url=http://mediafire.com/skdjghskdf]
Next, write the text you want to appear followed by [/url]

Mus[/url]
It will look like this before you post it

[url=http://mediafire.com/skdjghskdf]Mus[/url]
And this afterwards:

Mus

Remember those steps, I'll show you again with the {} brackets.

{url=LINK GOES HERE}THE TEXT YOU WANT US TO SEE GOES HERE{/url}

And all the coding is orange.

Of course, I probably made it look hard, Damn.

FireArrow

Wow, there were a lot more mistakes than I thought. I guess since you only added the into, you don't take any blame for them.  ;)

Anyways:

-For the intro, that melody in the base clef is almost staccato, so the pedal doesn't really work with it. I'd see if you can you the sostenuto pedal for the chords before the pedal.

-In general, the melody is inaccurate throughout the song. Not really note wise, it's just that ornamentation is added where it shouldn't be and omitted where it should be.

-Same goes for the bass, it's actually 2 voices and pretty different from whats notated there.

-Actually, the voicing throughout the whole song is off. Measure 7-14 there's a pretty obvious higher voice, but it's not too important and voice be left out (plus it'd be hard to transcribe anyways.) Measure 15-22 there's an extremely important counter melody that shouldn't be left out. What's notated now just appears to be random intervals that don't correlate with whats actually there. 23 onward is just crazy, I'd listen to it more, but I think there's 2 voices in the base clef and 2-3 in the treble. I'd look into notating as much as you can.

-I'm not gonna bother with accidentals n' such for now.

I'd be a bit more specific if you had a mus as it's kinda hard to correct a sheet via PDF and youtube. Anyways, if you need help with anything regarding this song, I'll be more than glad to (SPM music is the best.)

Quote from: Dudeman on January 23, 2017, 05:35:59 PM
straight from the department of redundancy department

jegilmer

Haha well the ornamentations were me :p but it's OK, I was trying to use that as a substitute for the vibrato of the melody. But yeah I noticed the bass wasn't very accurate, but I kinda liked it so I left it. I think I'll just re-do the entire rest of the piece to make a version that is more like the actual piece, rather than one that is just arranged for piano.

I got what you were saying about the sostenuto pedal, too. I researched it and I didn't even know there was such a thing! Haha so you definitely helped learn there. That pedal seems VERY useful!

As for the .MUS files...how can I create one? I'm running through Sibelius 6. If you could just provide a link where I could download it that would be fine...if it's something that is downloaded.

jegilmer

To Bubbles:
Thanks! That was actually very easy to understand! I took a couple of HTML coding courses so I understand it a little bit. That is if this HTML coding used in this forum. But anyway, thanks!

I'm going to give it a try down here.
PDF

FireArrow

.Mus is the file type used for finale, so you'd have to download finale notepad:
http://www.finalemusic.com/products/finale-notepad/resources/

I'm not sure if there's a way to convert Sibelius files to mus, so if you need me to make one, I'd gladly do it (I just copy the pdf in finale, however, you'll only be able to edit it with finale.)

As for ornamentation, the main issue is that those trills are in the wrong spot.

jegilmer

Ahh OK. Well I'm going to listen to that piece a good bit and try to transcribe it more accurately. And I'll research how I can convert my .sib files into .mus files. Then I'll post "Sammer's Kingdom" again to get some more critiques!

TheZeldaPianist275

I have no time to thoroughly critique, but I downloaded Xevious (3D Classics version) from the eShop a while ago.  I approve of this song  :) It sounds fairly accurate.  Good job.

Kimmel

Quote from: jegilmer on September 02, 2013, 10:28:53 AM[...]how I can convert my .sib files into .mus files [...]

Does Sibelius support .xml files?
Sorry for my English ^.^

jegilmer

To TheZeldaPianist275: Thanks! I'm glad you think it's good, and yeah Xevious is awesome, but it's so ridiculously hard! (At least on the console I have it for)

To Kimmel: Yes Sibelius supports it, but when I import it the magnetic layout is off and everything looks like a jumbled mess. But it's not too hard to tidy up.

jegilmer

Should I worry about whether a piece can be played? For example, say there is a piece that has 3 voices that are spread more than an octave apart each. It's not possible for one person to play, so should I still include all of the voices in the octaves that the song has them in? Or should I re-write them closer together so that it is possible for one player to play them?

Thanks!

FireArrow

Quote from: jegilmer on September 02, 2013, 07:20:40 PMShould I worry about whether a piece can be played? For example, say there is a piece that has 3 voices that are spread more than an octave apart each. It's not possible for one person to play, so should I still include all of the voices in the octaves that the song has them in? Or should I re-write them closer together so that it is possible for one player to play them?

Thanks!

I'm gonna have to answer this vaguely, because it changes from situation to situation.

When you first arrange something, ignore playability (this part is optional, I just find it can make it easier.) Once you've finished the song (or a section) go back and do whatever you can to make it playable. If it's moving octaves, then do it. If you final product sounds like the original piece, you did a good job.

EDIT: Oh, btw, I found this if you wanna be more accurate to the original. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-R0WIz9SLZU

Kimmel

Quote from: jegilmer on September 02, 2013, 06:53:45 PMYes Sibelius supports it, but when I import it the magnetic layout is off and everything looks like a jumbled mess. But it's not too hard to tidy up.

Then export it as a xml file. A Finale-User can open (it's more accurate than a MIDI-File) and save it as a mus file.
Sorry for my English ^.^

jegilmer

Quote from: Kimmel on September 03, 2013, 07:44:35 AMThen export it as a xml file. A Finale-User can open (it's more accurate than a MIDI-File) and save it as a mus file.

Ok Will do!

jegilmer

Quote from: FireArrow on September 02, 2013, 09:12:22 PMI'm gonna have to answer this vaguely, because it changes from situation to situation.

When you first arrange something, ignore playability (this part is optional, I just find it can make it easier.) Once you've finished the song (or a section) go back and do whatever you can to make it playable. If it's moving octaves, then do it. If you final product sounds like the original piece, you did a good job.

EDIT: Oh, btw, I found this if you wanna be more accurate to the original. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-R0WIz9SLZU

Oh OK that's makes sense. And thanks for the link!