What should be allowed in the requests board?

Started by FierceDeity, January 04, 2014, 07:54:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jamaha

Just adding to the conversation with some upcoming features regarding requests.

The plan currently is to implement a similar system for requests as exists for submissions in the new system. This way we can limit the number of requests per member to a more sustainable amount. The request form could then be linked to from the main site so people actually can find it. Of course if they try to request without having a forum account, they will be instructed to do so. Maybe it gets a bit more forum activity as well.

As for Maestro's point #3, considering we're working on a voluntary basis here, I don't like the idea of forcing arrangers to arrange something they don't want. But he's right that we need more incentives for arrangers to arrange requests, I just don't feel that is the best option.

FierceDeity

Jesus christ, I love the way this conversation is going.

As for incentive for doing requests, I have an idea. Rather than prohibiting people from submitting other arrangements (I've never been a big fan of prohibitory incentives), how about this: for each update, in addition to the regular submissions that are already allowed, each arranger is allowed to submit extra arrangements, provided that they were requests. Whether this means 2 extra arrangements, 5 extra arrangements, or an unlimited amount of extra arrangements (something tells me our updaters wouldn't be too fond of that last one), I don't know, but something. Perhaps a requests-only update to go along with our regular one? Just a thought.

I like to think that this idea operates on the principle "if you can't beat them, join them". I've always thought that the reason for doing these arrangements should be to A. improve ourselves as musicians and B. help other people to be able to play music they like on piano (EDIT: Also, C. for fun!). I think that doing requests (especially ones that might bring us out of our comfort zones a bit) accomplishes both of these things. Getting sheets on the site should really just be a way to facilitate "B". However, for anybody looking to get sheets uploaded to the site for other reasons (glory, weird fetish, idk), this gives an added incentive to directly help people, even if that isn't the primary intention behind fulfilling the request.

Olimar12345

We actually used to do something similar with replacements. People were allowed to submit two(or whatever number) new arrangements and infinint replacements.
Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

Clanker37

@FierceDeity

So, we use completed requests to as currency to buy stuff? Like extra arrangements on the site, a featured arranger update and stuff? Like you complete 10 requests and you get a featured arranger update and Jamaha says you're cool or something.

JDMEK5

I think it might be an idea to say for every update: "2 new submissions + unlimited replacements + unlimited requests". Putting a posted limit would only hinder the given incentive more than it would otherwise be and who's gonna put down more than 5 requests even without a limit? That might become a problem once we start doing requests more, but with a 20% completion rate, yeah right.
"Today's goal strongly involves not dying. Because nobody likes to wake up dead."

My Arrangements
Finale Version(s): Finale Notepad 2012, Finale 2012, Finale v26

MaestroUGC

Then instead of forcing them to do a request reward them. For ever three requests they fulfill and submit they get an extra arrangement of their own they get to submit, replacements notwithstanding.
Try to do everything; you're bound to succeed with at least one.

JDMEK5

That's another good idea. Although as a young arranger I realized (through firsthand experience) that if I tried to arrange a song I didn't like (never mind know), it would either never get finished, or finish like crap. And since I only really know a lot of songs from the more mainstream franchises, someone comes with a "Binding of Isaac" request or something and I don't want to take it because if I do, I'll have barely any incentive to work on it (even if I was being rewarded) so it'll take forever (if I ever finish it) and/or it'll be some of my worst work. So I made a rule for myself: Never take a request unless I know and like the song, or love it right after hearing it.
"Today's goal strongly involves not dying. Because nobody likes to wake up dead."

My Arrangements

Olimar12345

Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

Yugi

JDMEK5

My Arrangements

FierceDeity

Just happened upon this thread, bumping to make sure we didn't forget about these ideas or anything, haha. Any progress on requests policy, updaters/jamaha?

Sebastian

Maelstrom

I agree with the currency idea. A lot of the time, I end up filling requests by accident. I'm sure that happens to other people as well...