Maelstrom's Arrangements - 8th Anniversary - Xeno Suprise

Started by Maelstrom, April 09, 2014, 12:33:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What do you want to see more arrangements of?

Fire Emblem
2 (11.1%)
Touhou
1 (5.6%)
Weird stuff
8 (44.4%)
This poll doesn't matter because maelstrom will just arrange weird stuff anyway
13 (72.2%)

Total Members Voted: 18

Jompa

This turned into a rather large edit. I guess I had too much fun :P Sorry if the fact that I edited so much doesn't go well with you. I'd understand!
I do have doubts about the difficulty I gave it, but I'll leave that to you. I struggle with leaving something out...
The changes I did are everything from correcting wrong chords and notes, to including important harmonies that you didn't include, and also better instrumentation for the piano and voicing of the chords.
When it comes to wrong notes and chords (like at measures #47-#48 you had B-flat-sus), there weren't much wrong, but I still changed quite a bit of notes (like octaves and stuff), mainly to make some parts a bit closer to the original.
The one thing that struck me when I saw your arrangement for the first time, was that you were missing some harmonies (like at measures #31-#32, or measure #48 and throughout the chorus, and especially at the part at measure #67).
The main thing I edited was the instrumentation (idk if that's what it's called in english). You'll notice I changed the chords around quite abit. This is because you were quite often having triads down in the deep, and that doesn't sound good at all. You'll notice that I changed this into mainly powerchords, which is what sounds best in the deep, especially in a rock-song like this. I also optimalized all the chord layouts, just in general, so everything sounds pretty darn good right now.
I also added pedal markings, because those make those parts work way better!
At measures #53-#54 I included the upper harmony in these two measures, even though that isn't the lead. I did this because it sounded much much better this way - even better than having it an octave below!
And I kinda added something of an ending.

You Will Know Our Names - edited
Finale 2014
Finale 2012
new version below

You can of course change whatever you want, but I advise you not to. Personally, I think it's perfect like this (apart from the difficulty).
Birdo for Smash

Latios212

My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Jompa

Sorry, but here's a newer version again ;) Parenthesized some accidentals, and fixed some places that sounded kinda empty.

You Will Know Our Names - edited
Finale 2014
Finale 2012
Birdo for Smash

Maelstrom

Great edit, but there may be a few issues about playability. I'll get back to you on that.
Will you want the "edited by Jompa" in the final version?

edit:Ninja'd by a newer version. It looks a little cleaner in parts, but there are still a few collisions that I can fix on my own, except for the beams in measure 12, as I can only open this with notepad.

Jompa

Since you can only open it in NotePad, I'll ofc help with anything you want to change, so just tell me.
I don't need the "edited by Jompa".
btw, some of the G-flats in the last part of the song could use some accidental-parenthesizing. Not super-necessary, but I'd do it.
Birdo for Smash

Maelstrom

I would like to announce that there will not be any new arrangements before I leave, unless something strange happens. (sorry)
However, I have revised each and every arrangement in my OP and removed those that I did not feel were worth saving.
There are two exceptions, however: Serpent Devouring the Horizon, and Tragic Decision. I hope to have a heavily revised version of each up before I leave.
Everything in the OP is fair game for any criticism/feedback you may have.

Latios212

Did you make a list of what you want submitted while you're gone yet
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Maelstrom

Quote from: Latios212 on September 04, 2015, 05:02:19 PMDid you make a list of what you want submitted while you're gone yet
Well, it's nearly all of them. I'll stick in the abandoned arrangements thread when I feel like I have a final list.

Maelstrom

Tragic Decision has been updated.
It is now the full version that appears in the game, not the OST, so yay.

Maelstrom

So, my final arrangement before my departure tomorrow. I won't quite be gone 9 months, much less, 9 years, but I thought this song title and tone fit a bit.

9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors
9 Years
[PDF] [.mus] [midi] [Original]

Jompa

Good arrangement! It's really nice.
The modulation you've notated isn't really present in the song: the chord progression just goes to a weird chord (well, semi-weird), but it isn't a modulation. It's C-major all the way, basically.
Another thing I'd do something about is that ending chord (assuming it isn't a part of the original song). You should seriously do something more exciting than just a super-balanced major-triad! It's so overused it makes the ending corny, and it doesn't really fit the arrangement anyways. For example, I'd do this: http://pasteboard.co/BCpyYx4.png
Also, listening to the original, I realize that a lot of the stuff you've written in the right hand is a mix between chords being played, and the melody. I'm not against this, but in this case it is impossible for the performer to see what is the melody, as right now everything appears to be the melody. I suggest you rework it somehow, using layers, so that one can see the melody.
Other than that, this is good.

And good luck on your trip!
Birdo for Smash

Tobbeh99

Where are you going? Are you leaving for 9 years, or forever or?
Quote from: Dudeman on August 16, 2016, 06:11:42 AM
tfw you get schooled in English grammar by a guy whose first language is not English

10/10 tobbeh

Maelstrom

And yes, I played UNDERTALE on on the other side of the world.

Mother 3
Unfounded Revenge (Challenge Replacement)
[PDF] [midi] [.mus]

Super Metroid
Staff Credits / Finale (Challenge Replacement)
[PDF] [.mus] [midi]

UNDERTALE
Determination
[PDF] [.mus] [midi] (3-Hand Midi)

DonValentino

Unfounded Revenge:

- Ms. 15 and 17 follow the same pattern as 19 (the second Ab of the triplet in 15 should be a Bb, and so on). Same applies to the repetition.
- The Gb's of m. 12 should be F#'s, considering they're appogiaturas of the following G.
- Decresc. in ms. 3 and 4 would be nice.
-  M. 29:

Nice work.