News:

Need help with Finale? Have a question about arranging? NSM Resources is the place to go!

Main Menu

Mt. Moon Time Signatures

Started by Zunawe, May 19, 2014, 10:32:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zunawe

So, I was fixing up Mt. Moon from Pokémon Red/Blue, and it bothered me that in the last half of the song, the melody didn't match the pulses of the time signature at all. So I started messing with it.

[MUS]

At the beginning (before the first time change), there is no section in which an 8/8 grouping isn't more accurate to the feel than a standard 4/4 pulse. So I applied that to the weird later sections, and these weird eighth note groupings seem to fit the patterns in the left hand very nicely anyway. I'm 90% sure that they're all correct.

Reference for odd meters.

Anyway I don't know what to put as the tempo marking. Quarter = 120 is the right tempo, but with all the switching near the end, I'm not sure what to measure the speed by. Eighth notes seem like the best solution, but that's not exactly easily measurable.

Also, I grouped the first of each couple of 5/8 bars by the pattern in the left hand. I'm not sure if that should be switched.
You know you've been playing too much Dragon Quest when you're afraid your Hershey's Kisses are going to flee.

I program things

FireArrow

I wouldn't worry about the difference between 8/8 and 4/4 and more so that your music has the correct pulse and phrasing (which you did so yay.)

As for the tempo - technically - you should be switching between quarter notes and dotted quarter notes every time you change from a /4 to a /8 and vice versa.
Quote from: Dudeman on January 23, 2017, 05:35:59 PM
straight from the department of redundancy department

Zunawe

Quote from: FireArrow on May 19, 2014, 03:18:22 PMI wouldn't worry about the difference between 8/8 and 4/4 and more so that your music has the correct pulse and phrasing (which you did so yay.)
Yeah, that was more of a starting point because the rest felt off.

Switching between eighths and quarters only happens twice, and can be taken care of with an eighth = eighth marking.

I'll put it in terms of dotted quarters then. Thanks.
You know you've been playing too much Dragon Quest when you're afraid your Hershey's Kisses are going to flee.

I program things

fingerz

Much better, Zunawe! I think you should have the last part in 4/4 though, not 8/8. Nobody reads 8/8 these days. :P

Also, get rid of those double sharps! Sure, it's B augmented, but nobody wants to see those when trying to read a piece! Accidentals will suffice. :)
Classical / Jazz / Contemporary
Performer / Arranger / Educator
Bb, A, C & Bass Clarinet / Soprano, Alto, Tenor & Baritone Saxophone / Basset Horn

Olimar12345

Quote from: fingerz on May 19, 2014, 04:03:06 PMAlso, get rid of those double sharps! Sure, it's B augmented, but nobody wants to see those when trying to read a piece! Accidentals will suffice. :)

Completely disagree.

As for the 8/8 thing, that rhythmic pattern is commonly seen in 4/4, and grouped as such.
Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

fingerz

Well, if I was to present that as a work for someone to play here at Uni, I'd be tolled to write it as a G natural so I don't cause confusion when performing. Besides, I wouldn't want to see that. :P
Bb, A, C & Bass Clarinet / Soprano, Alto, Tenor & Baritone Saxophone / Basset Horn

Olimar12345

Double sharps and flats occur normally in music thought. As a matter of fact, I've been in the opposite position before. I was told (and now fully believe myself) that it is easier to read major/minor thirds as opposed to augmented or diminished thirds. Not to mention it's harmonically correct (double win there lol)
Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

fingerz

Yeah, I know it's harmonically correct, but I wouldn't write it like that for the performer's sake. Still, he can do what he wants. It's just notation, anyway.

Zunawe

Quote from: Olimar12345 on May 19, 2014, 04:09:16 PMAs for the 8/8 thing, that rhythmic pattern is commonly seen in 4/4, and grouped as such.
Right. I've seen it plenty of times. However, at no point does it deviate from the 8/8 pulse, and switching from 5/8, 6/8, and 7/8 to 8/8 is much less confusing than to 4/4.

Quote from: fingerz on May 19, 2014, 05:11:05 PMIt's just notation, anyway.
I can feel Olimar's formatting alarm going off.

This is how the original was written, and it didn't need any noticeable fixing beyond clefs and time signature in terms of the music itself. I'll trust him to be right until somebody tells me differently, and keep it correct before making it less advanced.

I program things

fingerz

Jompa

Hey zunawe, would you mind fixing the link to the sheet. I kinda want to see
Birdo for Smash

Zunawe

I program things

SlowPokemon

The hatred that people feel for double accidentals really bugs me
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

Bubbles

The only thing I hate more than a double accidental is a C flat, E sharp, etc. I get that they're necessary but they're also pretty annoying

SlowPokemon

It's exactly the same principle yeah
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.