News:

NinSheetMusic is the LARGEST video game sheet music archive on the entire internet worldwide!

Main Menu

Site Upgrade

Started by The Deku Trombonist, October 05, 2014, 04:58:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Deku Trombonist

Quote from: MaestroUGC on October 06, 2014, 07:32:44 AMSince it's set-up to have the side bar organized by franchise, that could forward or open up to reveal subsections.

For ex: Hover over/click on Super Mario and it spread out to show sub-sections for the Main Series, Mario Kart, Mario Party, Paper Mario, Luigi's Mansion, etc.
I think that side bar is going to disappear eventually, or at least its contents. It'll be replaced with cool things like most popular sheets of the month, miscellaneous stats, perhaps a featured sheet or sheet performance video etc etc. Also, I have already considered sub-sections but it's potentially a bit of work to make it work so it's definitely not a priority, if it it is to be done at all.

Quote from: MaestroUGC on October 06, 2014, 07:32:44 AMWe should also think about reorganizing the site to have the games ordered chronologically by release rather that alphabetically, since that's probably how most people would want to browse through the library.
That's heresay so I'm not going to go there. However, chronological order is on the to-do list as a browsing option. I'd still leave the default as ascending alphabetical though.

Quote from: MaestroUGC on October 06, 2014, 10:44:03 AMYou never factor the articles in Titles as the first word when organizing something alphabetically. Anything beginning with "the" "a" "an" etc. would be organized:
That would also require some interesting reworkings, if it was to be done with any degree of automation. I'm not really sure how many things that would effect either. For example, the examples you listed would not be effected seeing as all main Zelda games start with "The Legend..." except for Zelda II, which would still end up at the bottom and then there is Freshly Picked Tingle which would still be at the top. So this brings us back to what would it effect and a quick look at the sheet library says that it's only a couple of games near the bottom of the "Other" series.

Quote from: DonValentino on October 06, 2014, 06:15:44 AMBut would it really be convenient to have separate sections for Mario Kart, Paper Mario, Mario & Luigi and Super Mario? I could understand Wario or Yoshi having their own one, but that much splitting would be excessive. imo it depends on the different series themselves rather than the number of sheets of a sub-series. That's why Layton, Tales, Dragon Quest or Harvest Moon have their own sections in first place, even if they don't have that many sheets.

I think now it's perfect as it is :J
Anyway, the only reason I wanted to split up a couple of Mario ones is to improve usability for now, seeing as it's by far the biggest page on the site and that's a fair amount of stuff to scroll through if you just want to find a couple of sheets. They're not all going to be split up into tiny pieces. The examples you listed with Wario and Yoshi aren't very helpful either. Where does Yoshi's Island(Super Mario World 2) go? Or Wario Land (Super Mario Land 3)? And not simply from the point of view of correctness, but also for minimal confusion.

Quote from: blueflower999 on October 06, 2014, 05:35:41 PM*whoever did this is my favorite person on the forums*
I guess that's me, yay.

Sebastian

Quote from: DekuTrombonist on October 06, 2014, 08:12:41 PMI think that side bar is going to disappear eventually, or at least its contents. It'll be replaced with cool things like most popular sheets of the month, miscellaneous stats, perhaps a featured sheet or sheet performance video etc etc. Also, I have already considered sub-sections but it's potentially a bit of work to make it work so it's definitely not a priority, if it it is to be done at all.

That's heresay so I'm not going to go there. However, chronological order is on the to-do list as a browsing option. I'd still leave the default as ascending alphabetical though.

That would also require some interesting reworkings, if it was to be done with any degree of automation. I'm not really sure how many things that would effect either. For example, the examples you listed would not be effected seeing as all main Zelda games start with "The Legend..." except for Zelda II, which would still end up at the bottom and then there is Freshly Picked Tingle which would still be at the top. So this brings us back to what would it effect and a quick look at the sheet library says that it's only a couple of games near the bottom of the "Other" series.

Anyway, the only reason I wanted to split up a couple of Mario ones is to improve usability for now, seeing as it's by far the biggest page on the site and that's a fair amount of stuff to scroll through if you just want to find a couple of sheets. They're not all going to be split up into tiny pieces. The examples you listed with Wario and Yoshi aren't very helpful either. Where does Yoshi's Island(Super Mario World 2) go? Or Wario Land (Super Mario Land 3)? And not simply from the point of view of correctness, but also for minimal confusion.

I guess that's me, yay.
Cool can't wait :)

JDMEK5

Quote from: DekuTrombonist on October 06, 2014, 04:29:26 AMIs it really that bad? Wow, they're only sections...
No, I was just exaggerating again. I mean, subsections would work but I was talking about like individual pages for individual games/miniseries thereby causing every page to be super long even if there were no sheets. Like where it currently has "Super Mario, Pokemon, The Legend of Zelda, Super Smash Bros., etc." That would be a problem but I'm not at all against a neat-looking subsection method. Just thought I should clear that up.
"Today's goal strongly involves not dying. Because nobody likes to wake up dead."

My Arrangements
Finale Version(s): Finale Notepad 2012, Finale 2012, Finale v26