News:

oh god how did this get here I am not good with computer

Main Menu

Multiple note-lengths in same bar in Finale

Started by MikeOShay, November 10, 2014, 10:37:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MikeOShay

This seems fairly common for piano pieces, but I can't seem to find any notation software that actually has a means of arranging it. Also, I have no idea of there's a proper term for it, or really how to describe it, so here's a picture:

Basically, the notes are played as a chord, then one note is held while the other continues the melody. Is there a simple way to arrange this in NotePad? I can't seem to have asynchronous notes happening in the same score.

FireArrow

There should be little numbers in the bottom left corner of your screen, these indicate which layer you're currently in. If you change to the second layer (click on the 2), your notes can be placed with no consideration of the ones in the first layer.
Quote from: Dudeman on January 23, 2017, 05:35:59 PM
straight from the department of redundancy department

JDMEK5

Quote from: MikeOShay on November 10, 2014, 10:37:55 PMAlso, I have no idea of there's a proper term for it,
Different "voices" or "layers". Either term exists.
"Today's goal strongly involves not dying. Because nobody likes to wake up dead."

My Arrangements
Finale Version(s): Finale Notepad 2012, Finale 2012, Finale v26

MikeOShay

Quote from: FireArrow on November 10, 2014, 10:55:59 PMThere should be little numbers in the bottom left corner of your screen, these indicate which layer you're currently in. If you change to the second layer (click on the 2), your notes can be placed with no consideration of the ones in the first layer.
THAT'S what those are! I thought it was the page numbers or something, haha. I was wondering why I could go up to page 8 when only numbers 1-4 were showing. Thanks for the help, guys! I think I'll probably call them "layers". Doesn't "Voices" also refer to multiple instruments on the same sheet, or am I completely off my rocker?

FireArrow

Quote from: MikeOShay on November 11, 2014, 09:59:14 AMThanks for the help, guys! I think I'll probably call them "layers". Doesn't "Voices" also refer to multiple instruments on the same sheet, or am I completely off my rocker?

Voices is used when the two parts are independent, layers is all inclusive. The difference is really unimportant though.
Quote from: Dudeman on January 23, 2017, 05:35:59 PM
straight from the department of redundancy department