Arrangement Contest No. 5 in E-sharp "Variable Mix"

Started by MaestroUGC, December 21, 2014, 05:07:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

So many variations, but only one will stand supreme!

them
1 (8.3%)
Olimar12345
4 (33.3%)
Bloop
3 (25%)
FierceDiety
4 (33.3%)
Clanker37
0 (0%)
FireArrow
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Voting closed: February 01, 2015, 03:52:33 PM

Bloop

Quote from: Waddle Bro on January 26, 2015, 08:22:08 AMhonestly i'd let fiercedeity do me while his song is playing on the background just saying it's amazing
ftfy

Olimar12345

Alright, I'll try to restrain myself from commenting further on maestro's half-assed job efforts. (I suppose it is better than nothing d: )

WOW! GREAT pieces all around! This has been one of the greatest turnouts I think we've ever had! The quality of musical craftsmanship is top-notch throughout all of the submitted works! Kudos to everyone!
Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

Olimar12345

Double post, here's one of these:

"Variations on Kamaro's Dance" for orchestra, by Bloop
Based on "Kamaro's Dance" from the Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
Original
[close]

"5 Variations on Surf" for wind quartet, by Olimar12345
[MP3 Download] (plays more than finale will d: )
Based on "Surf" from Pokémon Gold/Silver/Crystal Versions
Original
[close]

"Five Variations on a Fiore Song" for wind ensemble, by Clanker37
Based on "Ranger Base" from Pokémon Ranger and Pokémon Ranger: Shadows of Almia
Original
[close]

"Variations on 'Link and His Loftwing'" for orchestra, by FierceDiety
SoundCloud

Based on "Link and His Loftwing" from The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
Original
[close]

"Instant of Eternity" for solo piano, by them
Based on "Instant of Eternity" from Bravely Default
Original
[close]

"Theme and Variations on Yoshi's World" for chamber ensemble, by FireArrow
Based on "Yoshi's World" from Tetris Attack
Original
[close]
Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

Bloop

Clanker37

Don't be mean to Maestro! He's worked very hard on this contest! At least in some way, I'm sure...

Anyway, what a wonderful contest! And with a 60% success rate. Muchly improved on the last one's 57%...Those stats would make a lovely graph...

MaestroUGC

It would appear that, due to popular demand, this will be my last time hosting the Arrangement contest.

Not like I would've volunteered again, since I much prefer competing than standing around judging everyone.
Try to do everything; you're bound to succeed with at least one.

Olimar12345

Praise post 2.0:

Bloop, once again you have outdone yourself. I loved variations 3, 5, & 6. Var. 3 caught me off guard, in a great way, haha. Good stuff!

them: I love your arrangement! Less truly is more-you know your way around a piano quite professionally!

Clanker: You have improved so much since the early contest days! I can hear Grant Kirkhope in your writing!

FireArrow

Yeah, them's felt like a professionally made piano arrangement. Clanker's was pretty outstanding aswell.

bloop's being good isn't a surprise

Quote from: MaestroUGC on January 26, 2015, 09:49:42 AMIt would appear that, due to popular demand, this will be my last time hosting the Arrangement contest.

Not like I would've volunteered again, since I much prefer competing than standing around judging everyone.

cough cough cough composition contest cough cough cough

Sorry, I think I'm coming down with the "redeeming yourself" virus.

Achoo!
Quote from: Dudeman on January 23, 2017, 05:35:59 PM
straight from the department of redundancy department

FierceDeity

ASDFRANDOMKEYSTYPEDINFRUSTRATIONTHATAREN'TACTUALLYINTUITIVEBECAUSEI'MONAPHONE

So I typed out a pretty decent response to each arrangement and then I was just about to listen to FA's when my computer just overheated like hell and died, so I kinda lost them. But here's the gist:

Bloop:
YEEEEEE MM ARRANGEMENT. I really think you did justice to the feeling of the game, and I really like how you too advantage of the similarities with majora's theme! I also agree with olimar on the third variation, that was fucking awesome.

Olimar:
Heh, I KNEW you were gonna take this in a jazzy direction. I love this theme, and I really like how it works with the different directions you took it. The last theme is so pretty :3

Clanker:
Oh, neat, a wind ensemble arrangement! You know, not enough people reallyWHERE THE FUCK IS THE EUPHONIUM
THAT'S IT
I'M OUT
I QUIT MUSIC

...actually though, I really liked this, haha. I can also hear grant kirkhope in your writing, and I feel you used the theme to effectively represent a lot of distinct moods. One recommendation I would make, though, is to take more advantage of the brass section; they're a pretty distinct feature of the wind band, and their capabilities are often underestimated! Also, CMON REALLY NO EUPHONIUM IN THE GROUP WHERE IT'S REALLY SUPPOSED TO SHINE UGGGGGHHHHHH

Them:
I do like the simplicity in this piece, especially considering you seem to use it as a developmental strategy; the rise in intensity up to/during variation V is much more effective with a simpler beginning. I also like your usage of first/second endings; they help the piece work more as a narrative while fitting within a more traditional framework. If there's one thing I'd recommend, though, it's to give more opportunity for expression by the player; dynamics make all the difference in the world, especially when it comes to solo piano pieces!

Firearrow I will listen to your piece as soon as my computer situation is figured out, haha. I'm looking forward to hearing it!

Quote from: Waddle Bro on January 26, 2015, 08:22:08 AMhonestly i'd let fiercedeity do me while his song is playing on the background just saying it's amazing

:D!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thank you!

Oh and maestro, jokes aside, I really do appreciate you doing this. You do have to admit that it's kind of funny after the whole timeliness discussion, though :P

Perhaps we could establish a system where the winner of each contest hosts the next one?

MaestroUGC

Quote from: FierceDeity on January 26, 2015, 03:15:25 PMPerhaps we could establish a system where the winner of each contest hosts the next one?

Hell no. No, because in the off chance I actually win one of these things I don't want to host again.
Try to do everything; you're bound to succeed with at least one.

Olimar12345

Quote from: FierceDeity on January 26, 2015, 03:15:25 PMjazz

?? No part of my arrangement was jazz though...

Quote from: FierceDeity on January 26, 2015, 03:15:25 PMPerhaps we could establish a system where the winner of each contest hosts the next one?

Now there's an idea! And lol I'm sure no one will object to omitting maestro from this, not even maestro.

them

Excellent job everyone! I really like how cool these themes are.

It's really hard to pick a favorite. I like how hypnotizing Bloop's arrangement is, and I also agree with FireArrow how his piece works well as a waltz.

It's really a shame that I can't zoom in for the bigger orchestral arrangements, and how some of the Finale playbacks sound like a solo piano instead of different instruments (on my end, at least).

Thanks for the critique, FierceDeity. I get what you're saying, and I think you really get what my piece is about.

Good luck to all! ;D

FireArrow

Quote from: Dudeman on January 23, 2017, 05:35:59 PM
straight from the department of redundancy department

Maelstrom

Quote from: them on January 26, 2015, 07:29:05 PMIt's really a shame that I can't zoom in for the bigger orchestral arrangements, and how some of the Finale playbacks sound like a solo piano instead of different instruments (on my end, at least).
I had that problem too. You need to turn off Enable Human Playback, MIDI Through, and then hit Reassign Playback Sounds. All in the MIDI tab at the top

Olimar12345