Arrangement Contest No. 5 in E-sharp "Variable Mix"

Started by MaestroUGC, December 21, 2014, 05:07:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

So many variations, but only one will stand supreme!

them
1 (8.3%)
Olimar12345
4 (33.3%)
Bloop
3 (25%)
FierceDiety
4 (33.3%)
Clanker37
0 (0%)
FireArrow
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Voting closed: February 01, 2015, 03:52:33 PM

FierceDeity

Quote from: MaestroUGC on February 02, 2015, 01:11:42 PMI can't speak for how MLF come to his judging, but when reviewing and re-reviewing your entry, I can't say that your supposed "Variation 3" is even a variation in and of itself. Sure, you changed the orchestration, but as I explained to you it came across more as a continuation of the shift to minor rather than a full on change of the theme.

Basically I feel like you didn't do enough to call it different from your second variation.

You should really reconvene with past you, because he seems to think differently
Like, polar opposites differently

Quote from: MaestroUGC on February 02, 2015, 08:26:01 AMCreativity:
[/b]Overall the work felt like it developed organically and the variations came across more as thematic transformation, which is so much more sastifying in this context.
Var. 1) You shifted into minor at the start and remained there for most of the piece, which was an interesting direction. Here you largely just treated the mode change as the end-all for the variation, with an added countermelody for contrast.
2) The second finally has some playing with the melody, and it seems like you saved some of you creative energies from the first variation and put them all here.
3) A shift in 4/4, and it seems like your inner Beethoven wanted to creep out, heavily filtered through the temperament of Brahms, with a pit stop through Kirkhope. This is the real climax of the piece and leads rather well in to the finale.
4) Back into Major, and with a real nice overall grandioso section. It was a wonderful finale, it gave great closer that called back to the opening. Gives the work a very Liszt-ian kind of structure.
5) Inapplicable. 8/10

(second in this case being what I call the third, because you seem to have thought that the first variation was already in minor, thereby agreeing with what olimar said)

EDIT: Also, I can't even remotely tell from MLF's feedback why FireArrow got a 0 for criteria. It's apparent from maestro's, but apparently you disagree on the number of variations, yet agree that it should get the score indicative of not having enough variations?

MaestroUGC

I might have your variations mixed up a bit, I'm working off memory here, I'll give it another run when I get home. However I do remember enough about it to recall that early on what you claimed to be a variation hardly saw any real change from something you presented earlier.

And if the case is that you had 5 full variations, then I would probably give you a lower score because otherwise it would take away from the whole piece like that. 4 strong variations vs. 3 strong and 2 weak.
Try to do everything; you're bound to succeed with at least one.

Olimar12345

Quote from: FierceDeity on February 02, 2015, 01:09:05 PMLol so I take it you also haven't actually looked at it

Unless they where some type of symbol that wasn't attached to the score itself, then no, I didn't see it. Something like page-attached text boxes don't show up in the scroll view.

And if you are still pissy about those pms quit it.
Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

mikey

If there's one thing we can learn from this it's that this judging is like representative democracy.  Just because someone is the best choice/most popular doesn't mean they'll win!
unmotivated

FierceDeity

variation one clearly labeled
[close]
variation two clearly labeled
[close]
variation three, and oh wow check out that label
[close]
variation four, clearly labeled
[close]
you get the point
[close]

Text attaches to the score for me, so unless we're having some major program discretions, then I really fail to see how they couldn't be there

And yeah, I'm still kinda pissy about you shitting on my musicianship because you disagreed with my compliment, imagine that

FireArrow

MLF docked me for variation numbers which I had as well, so I wouldn't sweat it fierce. This competition is just for fun, it's not anything serious you're gonna put on a resume.
Quote from: Dudeman on January 23, 2017, 05:35:59 PM
straight from the department of redundancy department

Olimar12345

Quote from: FierceDeity on February 02, 2015, 03:08:56 PMPost

And you say I can't read:

Quote from: Olimar12345 on February 02, 2015, 03:01:44 PMscroll view

Context clues: looking at those screenshots, I see page titles, page numbers, and different colors between your variation text and your expressions. I'll say it again: text boxes aren't visible from the scroll view. Why would you use a text box for something as important as a variation number? That's like putting your tempo marks in text boxes. You want to attach those to the measures.
Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

FireArrow

May I ask how to get them to show up in scroll view?
Quote from: Dudeman on January 23, 2017, 05:35:59 PM
straight from the department of redundancy department

Olimar12345

Either attach them to measures (not pages) or use expressions.

Sebastian

I'm sorry, Fierce for the misunderstanding :(
Your arrangements was amazing!

Anyway, this was my first judging.....sorry if I didn't put longer comments :P

them

Hey all. Thanks for enjoying my arrangement!  :D

Here's a pdf if you're interested in playing it (a few fixes, starts with "con sordina," etc):
https://www.dropbox.com/s/4wx5ay32tzag61w/Instant%20of%20Eternity.pdf?dl=0

As for FierceDiety's arrangements... yes, I think Fierce is in the right because the original post did not state what a variation had to include (although it is understandable for the judges to mistake it for the theme). So I would say don't add on any extra rules once the deadline is in.

So should we recount, or go on to the next game? I already have a few ideas for the next contest!  ;D

Quote from: FierceDeity on January 27, 2015, 07:24:36 PMYou should be able to zoom in on all versions of finale, I believe. 2012 notepad definitely has the capability, though only to specific preset %'s. I think it should still be under the "view" tab? Though, no version (that I'm aware of) really has the ability to move around to different sections (in terms of parts, not measure #) of the score while playing; if anybody knows of a way to do that successfully in 2011 that'd be awesome

Yes... I forgot about that. Come to think about it I could have just made a pdf file, and then zoomed in. Well thanks for the help!

Sebastian

Quote from: them on February 02, 2015, 08:10:10 PMAs for FierceDiety's arrangements... yes, I think Fierce is in the right because the original post did not state what a variation had to include (although it is understandable for the judges to mistake it for the theme). So I would say don't add on any extra rules once the deadline is in.
Very True.
I was kinda forced to change my vote on his.

Quote from: them on February 02, 2015, 08:10:10 PMSo should we recount, or go on to the next game? I already have a few ideas for the next contest!  ;D
I also have some ideas!
I think I might actually compete this time!

Clanker37

Quote from: mariolegofan on February 02, 2015, 08:17:45 PMI was kinda forced to change my vote on his.
Maestro appears to have forgotten to tell us about his campaign for Arrangement Contest Tyrant.

Ah well, what does it matter? It's only for fun. I thoroughly enjoyed it! When's the next one?