Magic Mole's Arrangements

Started by Magic Mole, December 31, 2014, 06:53:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sebastian

Quote from: Maelstrom on January 06, 2015, 04:56:26 PMThere is no way a person as new as you should be making arrangements this good.
Agreed! Awesome work!
It's great to have a new arranger :)
You should submit your arrangements.

Magic Mole

...Wow...Those compliments really mean a lot coming from you two...Thank you so much!!!  ;D ;D ;D
Okay, thanks for that shortcut, I'll use it to clean things up a bit.
The Gs mark where I would like grace notes in the future, I just can't add them in Notepad(or at least I don't think I can).  :P
Ok, I'll shift the page# a bit, I just wasn't sure if people would be nit-picky about having it exactly where it should be.
I pretty much just tried arranging something for the heck of it, but I must say, I like it(finishing a sheet is so satisfying!).
I'll be busy for the next few weeks with school stuff, but I'll definitely be back to take a stab at some more arranging.  :)

Sebastian

Quote from: Magic Mole on January 06, 2015, 05:25:50 PMI'll be busy for the next few weeks with school stuff, but I'll definitely be back to take a stab at some more arranging.  :)
Great! :)
I regret to inform (you prob already know this but), FINALE NOTEPAD IS CRAP!!!
lol

Magic Mole

Quote from: mariolegofan on January 06, 2015, 05:09:17 PMYou should submit your arrangements.
I submitted my first one, but it's by no means perfect, it probably still needs a teensy bit more work. If you'd like to check it out and have the time, I'd love to hear any criticism you have.  :D

Magic Mole

Yeah...I found that out pretty quick xD

Sebastian

Quote from: Magic Mole on January 06, 2015, 05:30:59 PMI submitted my first one, but it's by no means perfect, it probably still needs a teensy bit more work. If you'd like to check it out and have the time, I'd love to hear any criticism you have.  :D
Great! I might :)
I'm arranging atm...

Quote from: Magic Mole on January 06, 2015, 05:31:35 PMYeah...I found that out pretty quick xD
Yeah, I'd invest in a full version. It's like heaven compared to notepad.

Magic Mole

I had some time on my hands, so I decided to try arranging Eusine's Theme from Pokémon Crystal. It still needs a lot of cleaning up, but I'm still a skrub so any critique is much appreciated.  :)
Please hold off on any critique regarding the NSM format, though; I'll get stuff like the "Pno." and the tempo marking taken care of when I can :P

Latios212

Awesome! I love Gen 2 music! This is really good, I'll take a closer look later :P

(Also, would you mind fixing your SS Aqua link? I wanna take a look at that too!)
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Brawler4Ever

Eusine's theme sounds really good! I would suggest putting a glissando on the F#A# in measure 4. Either that or a grace note. I'm pretty sure either would work. :P
Even when everyone else has gone,
I will punch the punching bag until a game comes on. XD

10 years later. Still Brawling!

Latios212

Want me to help you fix this one up?

(I've already started...)

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Magic Mole

Quote from: Brawler4Ever on July 03, 2015, 03:05:03 PMEusine's theme sounds really good! I would suggest putting a glissando on the F#A# in measure 4. Either that or a grace note. I'm pretty sure either would work. :P
I had planned a grace note, but alas, I am stuck with Finale Notepad. :P
Quote from: Latios212 on July 03, 2015, 03:11:29 PMWant me to help you fix this one up?

(I've already started...)
Yes I would definitely appreciate that! I have almost no piano experience, so when it comes to the pianoish elements of arrangements, I'm not the best. It kills me to not put every single note I can possibly hear into the transcription, but I try to hold back to keep it playable. Plus, I'm new to the whole arranging thing so I assume there's a lot to clean up. Anyways, thanks! :D

P.S. I noticed that you've arranged some gen 2 music as well; I'm glad to find someone who appreciated gen 2 as much as I do! :)

Latios212

Huzzah.

Again, this is great ;D No wrong notes as far as I can tell. Mostly just changed rhythm groupings and matched everything to NSM guidelines. Let's take a look at the first couple of measures:
Spoiler

- You had 16th note + rest in some places and staccato'd 8ths in others. For consistency I stuck with staccato'd 8ths (I hope you'll agree this makes things a little cleaner). Notice less 16th rests which I think makes the sheet easier to read. It's clearer where beat 3 starts in the RH.
- A flat changed to G sharp.
- Notice the articulations on the last couple of RH notes, which makes it clear which notes are stressed.
[close]
Mostly just little things like this. I added in a couple of missing half notes in measure 5-6 and 9-10. Fixed rhythm groupings for the end of the song to clearly show each beat in the measure. And the RH is free in measures 14 and 16, so I thought the 16th note run would be cool to include :)

Lemme know if you like these changes or I messed up something!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Magic Mole

Oh wow, thanks! This looks really good! :o
-I knew that I'd have to sort out the sixteenth note/staccato eighth inconsistencies at some point, I just couldn't decide which to go with.
-I don't know why I never thought of the accents; I always hear the accent in the music, I guess I just forgot that you can actually put that in the sheet. :P
-The half notes I debated, but decided to wait since I wasn't sure if they would be playable or not.
-I actually took the time to put those same two sixteenth note riffs in towards the end and then ended up leaving them out for some reason... ::)
Overall, I'm really liking this! I was really hesitant to throw some of the harmonies in (like the half notes and riffs and such) after my first arrangement, where I threw in every single note in the song  and ended up with playability problems. Anyways, thanks a ton!
Once I submit this, I would be more than happy to credit you if you'd like since you were such a big help :)

Latios212

Quote from: Magic Mole on July 03, 2015, 09:38:29 PMOverall, I'm really liking this! I was really hesitant to throw some of the harmonies in (like the half notes and riffs and such) after my first arrangement, where I threw in every single note in the song  and ended up with playability problems. Anyways, thanks a ton!
Most of the stuff here is perfectly playable! The half note in measure 5 isn't a problem at all, and even though the one in measure 6 is out of range for the right hand, it's perfectly reachable for the LH. And yes it was wise to omit the 16th note runs in measures 13 and 15, but it adds excitement to 14 and 16 without sacrificing playability, yes? :)

Hey no problem! No need to credit me, all the notes were already there and I just helped with cleanup. Go submit! :D

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Magic Mole

Well then, thanks again, you really helped me out here! ;D
You can expect more Johto arrangements from me in the future ;)