News:

Download Finale Notepad 2012 free here!

Main Menu

The LEGO Thread

Started by ThatGamer, January 04, 2015, 06:48:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maelstrom

Quote from: BlackDragonSlayer on February 15, 2015, 04:45:35 PM- A line of Constraction "Battle Figures" are being released. The ones (officially) revealed thus far are Luke Skywalker and Darth Vader.
Reminds me of this:
Spoiler
[close]

KefkaticFanatic

Aha, I have that exact set.  At some point some parts of his neck went missing though so he's presently decapitated...

me irl
[close]

Sebastian

mariolegofan here.
I actually love legos! I'm really interested in getting that hellacarrier.

Concerto No.20 in D minor

I don't really like that new tie fighter at all.  The only tie that I've ever liked was the 10175 Tie Advance.  Oh man, I wish I still had that set.  I used to have almost all of the Star Wars Ultimates, but sold them because I kind of grew up.  I still kept my favorite though, the UCS 101219 Snowspeeder.  God damn, I want another Lego now.

Edit:  well f*ck, the 10175 is now going upwards of $400 on ebay.  I sold mine two years ago for $120.   graaaaah

KefkaticFanatic

Whoa really? My brother has one of those in his room... neato

me irl
[close]

mikey

inb4 kefka steals it and sells it without his brother's knowledge
unmotivated

BlackDragonSlayer

The LEGO Buzz: Controversy in Bricks

"To Sticker or not to Sticker? Stickers in Sets"

Stickers are a very controversial topic to LEGO fanatics all over the world: many people dislike them; some people tolerate them; others say they're absolutely necessary, that they finish a design; yet, other people argue that there should be more printing in sets, rather than stickers. Shall we look further into this issue?

First, you may think "What's wrong with stickers? Kids love stickers, and they give you the option to not apply them!" Therein lies the problem: applying the stickers. If you have small fingers, applying the stickers may not be too troublesome, but if you have larger fingers, applying stickers accurately becomes frustrating and tedious. Even worse, if you apply a sticker lopsided, or flat out incorrectly, taking it off properly is quite near impossible (larger stickers are the worst offenders here- even if one part is straight, the opposite end of it could turn out wrong)! If stickers are so vital to the design, why not just go the extra mile and use printing? There are plenty of sets that use printing, so why do certain pieces use stickers instead? I would also argue that printing has a nicer appearance, as you don't see ridges from the edges from the stickers.

Somebody's getting fired for this...

I recently noticed this when I purchased and built 70789: Onua, Master of Earth yesterday. The set comes with two fairly large stickers that should be applied to the included chest piece (unlike the other sets in the theme, Onua is the only one without a printed chest piece, perhaps due to the larger size of his). As I mentioned earlier, the larger a sticker is, the harder it is to apply: the same applies here. The stickers are rather necessary, as without them, the rest of the purple on Onua looks scattered, giving him an overall empty look; however, they are difficult to align properly, something which may greatly irk perfectionists. With LEGO showing that they're willing to go the extra mile in printing- especially in regards to minifigures- why are stickers even necessary anymore? In most cases where printing/stickers would be necessary (such on larger pieces such as Onua's chest piece or pieces used in building castles and other large structures, perhaps not so much on smaller pieces such as those used in the current Speed Champions theme, which could easily be reused for different objects- yet, conversely enough, the stickers on these pieces are also difficult to apply for those of us with large fingers), there would be little to no impact on MOC'ers.

Onua, Master of Earth. Picture from BZPower's review.

Another example of sets with irksome sticker use are two sets from the Indiana Jones theme- both of which I own- 7625 River Chase and 7626 Jungle Cutter. In these sets, there are stickers that cover multiple pieces, thus making taking apart the set difficult, as you have to struggle with holding the pieces together- essentially, the pieces have to be "stuck" together in order to properly utilize the sticker, something MOC'ers will most likely hate.

The main offenders being the "CCCP" bricks in the bottom row.

And then... there's this. Absolutely unacceptable.

This keeps people awake at night.

That concludes this edition of The LEGO Buzz: Controversy in Bricks. See you later, and happy building.
And the moral of the story: Quit while you're a head.

Fakemon Dex
NSM Sprite Thread
Compositions
Story Thread
The Dread Somber

Maelstrom

Stickers on a clear backing peel much less.

ZeldaFan

Just wanted to add this little gem:
Spoiler
[close]

Please follow me and my art on Instagram @inspi.red.art :D

Sebastian

lol.....is this for real?

ZeldaFan

I don't think so but it's funny anyway :P

Please follow me and my art on Instagram @inspi.red.art :D

Sebastian

Yeah, it is funny lol.
The Policemen can't break through Lego Blocks ;)

BlackDragonSlayer

IWRUGVBIWURGNUQIEFNIQHFQWUINADOIMV
And the moral of the story: Quit while you're a head.

Fakemon Dex
NSM Sprite Thread
Compositions
Story Thread
The Dread Somber

Sebastian

The lego blue shell is cool :P