Latios212's YouTube Channel

Started by Latios212, February 16, 2015, 01:55:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bespinben

Quote from: Nebbles on July 04, 2015, 12:05:12 PM
Someone beat Bespinben to making PMD music?! GASP!

MLF for Chatroom Mod next Tuesday

Latios212

Spoiler
[close]
Quote from: Bespinben on April 09, 2015, 08:48:32 PM;__;
it's beautiful
MY CHANNEL IS FABULOUS!

On a side note, been pretty busy with schoolwork and the like.

Here's my to-do list of songs I can play somewhat well right now and will hopefully get around to recording in the following weeks (in no particular order):
- "Memories Returned" by Bespinben
- "A Wish for Peace" by Bubbles and Bespinben
- "Rescue Team Base" by Bespinben
I'm sensing a theme...

Also a partial list of things I'm working on, but don't know if I will ever get around to recording:
- "Dragonspiral Tower" by Bespinben
- "Classic: Final Results" by K-NiGhT
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

braix

By the way I've been working on some songs so I can start up a piano kinda channel like yours.
It's kinda funny how the songs I'm working on includes the three you mentioned. xD
Also thanks glad you like it lol
Quote from: MaestroUGC on August 19, 2015, 12:22:27 PM
Braixen is a wonderful [insert gender] with beautiful [corresponding gender trait] and is just the darlingest at [stereotypical activity typically associated with said gender] you ever saw.

Latios212

Alright, it's been 9 weeks of on-and-off work since Bespinben posted his arrangement. This took waaaay too long, but learning this song has made me really happy! ;D

I present to you the world's best piano cover of "Memories Returned" arranged by Bespinben (because it's the only one out there as far as I can tell)! Dedicated to Bespinben, of course. This is my gift, my way of saying thanks for all your arrangements and help, past, present, and future. (Everyone else enjoy it, too!)

[DS] Pokémon Mystery Dungeon 2: Explorers of Time/Darkness/Sky:

"Memories Returned":

Yeah, there are two or three spots where I kinda slipped up (don't be too disappointed; I'm not the best pianist and this song is long and hard!), but I've already spent dozens of hours of this song, including four hours of video footage. I'm busy to the point where I can only spend an hour or two a week recording here, and I need to move on to learning and arranging new songs and achieving other life goals so...

Boy, it'll be really hard to outdo myself on this one

Quote from: braixen1264 on April 11, 2015, 10:53:04 PMBy the way I've been working on some songs so I can start up a piano kinda channel like yours.
It's kinda funny how the songs I'm working on includes the three you mentioned. xD
Also thanks glad you like it lol
Looking forward to seeing it! :D

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Bespinben

I cannot believe this just happened. First Dusk, now you... the depth of my gratitude can't be expressed. You must give yourself more credit for your talent.

Highlights of this performance:
0:20 - You nailed it! What a boss. (Sustained arpeggiated grace note ftw! [or SAGN™, courtesy of Noc])
2:15 - So majestic.

Now, you know this was coming of course, but don't let my following thoughts diminish any of the above:

*7/4 pickup leading into the intro (0:00- 0:08)
~ Had kind of the same issue with Dusk's "Opening" cover -- started briskly but then instantly dropped about 15 BPM once the main line came in. I know there's ritardando and all, but it was far too sudden.

*Voicing of inner layers (0:15-0:20)
~ This was obviously intentional it looks like, but I noticed you droned the D on the inner voice instead of letting it move in parallel 4ths with the melody (ex: D-G --> E-A). It doesn't change the harmonic structure at all, but it does lose some of the texture. It also makes the inner voice a bit overpowering because the same note is being struck again and again with sustain. If you had a specific reason for this omission please let me know! My sheets are definitely always open for revision.

*Timing of sustain pedal depress/release (1:05-1:22 [and a lot of other places])
~ If you just hold the keys a little longer in the RH when you have those syncopated chords coming in on beat 4.5, it won't sound so choppy because the reapplication of the pedal will sustain it. You succeeded doing this at 2:33, oddly enough (or... could just be the lack of dampers in that register ^.^). This is really the only thing I'd be really interested in seeing improvement in for a hypothetical redux (hypothetical because I still can't fathom that this performance actually happened and I'm still giddy as a goat).

*Random thought (2:28-2:34)
~ You started off here really strong leading into that glorious triple forte, but it feels like my SAGN intimidated you, resulting in that very last chord at 2:33 less convincing than it could have been. Maybe I was just expecting to see your hands raise several feet up from the keyboard before that last chord XD
-------------------------------------

I patiently await the day you have 10k subs.

Latios212

Quote from: Bespinben on April 12, 2015, 09:48:16 PMI cannot believe this just happened. First Dusk, now you... the depth of my gratitude can't be expressed. You must give yourself more credit for your talent.

Highlights of this performance:
0:20 - You nailed it! What a boss. (Sustained arpeggiated grace note ftw! [or SAGN™, courtesy of Noc])
2:15 - So majestic.
I'm glad you enjoyed watching/listening as much as I enjoyed learning it ^_^

Quote from: Bespinben on April 12, 2015, 09:48:16 PM*7/4 pickup leading into the intro (0:00- 0:08)
~ Had kind of the same issue with Dusk's "Opening" cover -- started briskly but then instantly dropped about 15 BPM once the main line came in. I know there's ritardando and all, but it was far too sudden.
My bad. I never fully got the hang of that 7/4 time (also when the low D comes in at one and a half beats)...

Quote from: Bespinben on April 12, 2015, 09:48:16 PM*Voicing of inner layers (0:15-0:20)
~ This was obviously intentional it looks like, but I noticed you droned the D on the inner voice instead of letting it move in parallel 4ths with the melody (ex: D-G --> E-A). It doesn't change the harmonic structure at all, but it does lose some of the texture. It also makes the inner voice a bit overpowering because the same note is being struck again and again with sustain. If you had a specific reason for this omission please let me know! My sheets are definitely always open for revision.
Okay, actually... I just can't read >.> whoops

Quote from: Bespinben on April 12, 2015, 09:48:16 PM*Timing of sustain pedal depress/release (1:05-1:22 [and a lot of other places])
~ If you just hold the keys a little longer in the RH when you have those syncopated chords coming in on beat 4.5, it won't sound so choppy because the reapplication of the pedal will sustain it. You succeeded doing this at 2:33, oddly enough (or... could just be the lack of dampers in that register ^.^). This is really the only thing I'd be really interested in seeing improvement in for a hypothetical redux (hypothetical because I still can't fathom that this performance actually happened and I'm still giddy as a goat).
Yeah, this was a trouble point for me. The longer I hold one of those notes, the less time I have to jump my hand over to reach other notes, and the more likely I am to screw up since I am not so great at accurately hand-jumping. You can tell though I tried to target this problem of holding notes while re-pedaling in measures 10-20 for example where the song is easy. Since I try to regularly practice songs I've learned, I'll try to work on this!

Quote from: Bespinben on April 12, 2015, 09:48:16 PM*Random thought (2:28-2:34)
~ You started off here really strong leading into that glorious triple forte, but it feels like my SAGN intimidated you, resulting in that very last chord at 2:33 less convincing than it could have been. Maybe I was just expecting to see your hands raise several feet up from the keyboard before that last chord XD
Hmm yeah, that SAGN took me a while to get right and measure 58 is just realy intimidating (just look at it!)... Also at this point I was just thinking: "DON'T SCREW UP!! DON'T SCREW UP!! OR ELSE YOU'LL HAVE TO REPLAY IT A FEW HUNDRED MORE TIMES!!"
I could totally try to play it that way in front of people in real life, at the cost of well... hitting some wrong notes... but it'd be fun!

Quote from: Bespinben on April 12, 2015, 09:48:16 PMI patiently await the day you have 10k subs.
Ah, maybe one day years from now XD

Quote from: Latios212 on January 19, 2015, 11:39:19 AMMy eventual goal is to be able to play some of Bespinben's harder arrangements...
Check, one out of... how many?? Gosh, I have a long way to go... :P

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Latios212

Woo! Five videos!

This time it's Bespinben's arrangement of "Rescue Team Base" for PMD1. Short, but sweet! Enjoy! :D

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Bespinben

MY HOUSE IS A FACE ~Nebbles
----------------------------------------------

If playing my arrangement was a Rescue Job...
Instant Lucario Rank for you!

Seriously though, you keep churning out my sheets into performances like it's nothing! I'm really starting look forward to when we do a video collab sometime (a la Dusk's "Hope").

I was going to ask why you didn't hold the melody through the measures (ex: 0:14-0:15), but that's probably an inevitable result of me demanding giant stretches of 10th intervals :P I think when I clean up my PMD1 arrangements eventually, I'm going to notate the pedaling as you did here ;) It really does make a big difference for the middle section in terms of the atmosphere.

(Nice special effects crew, btw)

Latios212

Quote from: Bespinben on April 29, 2015, 05:33:00 PMMY HOUSE IS A FACE ~Nebbles
10/10 would build again :P

Quote from: Bespinben on April 29, 2015, 05:33:00 PMIf playing my arrangement was a Rescue Job...
Instant Lucario Rank for you!

Seriously though, you keep churning out my sheets into performances like it's nothing! I'm really starting look forward to when we do a video collab sometime (a la Dusk's "Hope").

I was going to ask why you didn't hold the melody through the measures (ex: 0:14-0:15), but that's probably an inevitable result of me demanding giant stretches of 10th intervals :P I think when I clean up my PMD1 arrangements eventually, I'm going to notate the pedaling as you did here ;) It really does make a big difference for the middle section in terms of the atmosphere.

(Nice special effects crew, btw)
Once again, I'm glad you're happy! I'm always down to play something you've arranged (assuming it's physically possible...)
Yeah my hands aren't huge. Those wide intervals in measures 8 and 15 on your sheet (not the video) I baaarely could do.
But yet again I can check off something on my awesome checklist of things to check off! :D
- Provide Bespinben with helpful feedback on his sheets ☑

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Latios212

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Bubbles

:0 that's me!!

Latios you are my inspiration for learning to play songs without messing up

Latios212

Quote from: Bubbles on May 06, 2015, 04:45:38 PM:0 that's me!!

Latios you are my inspiration for learning to play songs without messing up

Shoot I forgot credits to you. Haha it's fixed now! :D

Why thank you. I do my best although that sometimes means sifting through footage of lots of unused takes, and even then mistakes inevitably creep in. Glad you enjoy :3

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

InsigTurtle

Hey, you got your piano tuned!  :P

I love the way you play this. Out of curiosity, what do you use to record?

Latios212

Thanks! ^^

Well, the reason this sounds so different is because it's not my piano XD This is one of the pianos available for use at my school.  It does have its trade-offs, though; many of their pianos are too squeaky, or too loud for playing some of the calmer songs I play (I literally cannot play pp sections). And the rooms are hot, stuffy, far from soundproof and I have to wait a while to use them sometimes.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

For these reasons you'll probably see me more often on my home piano (the one in the other videos). It's special to me since I've been using it for probably around ten years, and convenient because it's at home. I recently had a guy give it a "relative tuning" as he said bringing it to concert pitch would put too much stress on it. I hope you don't my mind too much! It's still relatively in tune and Bespinben says it doesn't bother him but if I ever do a collaboration with another instrument or piano I'll be sure to use a tuned one. As with the case with this song, I'll only hop onto the school pianos when something will sound noticeably better in my opinion. At home I have the comforts of peace, quiet, time, and, of course, air conditioning. ;D

Unlike at home where I used whatever camera I had available, I simply used my phone for this. Samsung Galaxy Lite. Just plopped it on a music stand. Eventually, after I keep this up for a while, I'll hopefully figure out how to use cameras and stuff. I have no fancy tools :P

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Bespinben

The soprano belting the high A at 0:44 in the background... I'm going to pretend that's part of your special effects crew :3 (representing mourning or something)

Anyway, lovely lovely lovely. The song, your playing, and by golly, the piano! The change of lighting and camera angle was nice too (seeing your fingers at work especially).

You made an ending too yaaay!