News:

Be sure to tell your friends about NinSheetMusic!

Main Menu

Help Bespinben brainstorm a brand name

Started by Bespinben, April 02, 2015, 01:08:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bespinben

Skotein has "Pokemon Reorchestrated" (PREO)

...then there's Zelda Reorchestrated (ZREO)

Martin Leung has "The Video Game Pianist"

I want to come up with a solid project name for the work I do, but I can't put my finger on anything:
*Pokemon re-arranged
*Pokemon Piano Collections
*Pokemon re-transcribed
*The Pokemon Pianist
*PMD Arranger
*PMD for Piano

The problem is all these are either too general (doesn't describe my focus ["Pianist" implies I perform my pieces, which is rare]) or too specific (limits what I can do, like if I ever want to do some Super Smash Bros. stuff on the side).
Another problem is I noticed Skotein actually CHANGED his Youtube account name to his project name Pokemon Reorchestrated, a risky move in my opinion, but seems to have worked well for him because his project became bigger than himself (involving all sorts of collaboration), whereas I don't see my efforts ever evolving to such heights (nor do I want to).

There's also the eventual goal of maybe wanting to associate my REAL name with my internet alias without everyone going "who's that?"

HELP MEEEEE

Quote from: Nebbles on July 04, 2015, 12:05:12 PM
Someone beat Bespinben to making PMD music?! GASP!

MLF for Chatroom Mod next Tuesday

Sebastian

How about World's Best Updater  8)

Or How about Bespokeben ;)

Bespinben

Daww thanks  ;D

BUT SERIOUSLY THOUGH IM AT AN IMPASSE

I'm frantically looking through the nomenclature of most of fan projects/private art studios ("so-and-so's Creations" seems to be common in crafting circles of artistry), but nothing seems to fit well. I mean, I GUESS I could just run with Bespinben's Arrangements, but I've been doing that forever already.

Sebastian

Man, that is hard. Honestly, I've been looking for one too. Never found the perfect one though :P

Bespinben

Quote from: mariolegofan on April 02, 2015, 01:47:26 PMMan, that is hard. Honestly, I've been looking for one too. Never found the perfect one though :P
Well at least you can sympathize with me :)

tl;dr; What I'm trying to get at is what if eventually I try applying to some position at a publishing house some day 5 years from now, and the only credentials I have is a "oh here's my Youtube channel with a couple million views". Not very respectable in the music community I would think. Now what if instead, in that hypothetical application, I said, "This is my website. These are the services I offer. My work includes the following "yadaydaydaPokemonyadyayda" all which were very well received publicly."

Yug_Guy

Perhaps "Only the Besp"?

Idk, that was first thing I came up with.

AwesomeYears

MaestroUGC

How about just using your name? Why hide behind a pseudonym? Why would you need a brand name?
Try to do everything; you're bound to succeed with at least one.

Bespinben

Quote from: MaestroUGC on April 02, 2015, 01:52:23 PMHow about just using your name? Why hide behind a pseudonym? Why would you need a brand name?

It's not that I'm desperately trying to cling to a pseudonym, it's that since I already have one, trying to use my real name at this point for a semi-professional creative endeavor (if I ever have one [ex: Zekiel's Music Transcription]), seems to be a bit unfeasible without sacrificing the following of fans I've already made. The issue is by doing this, I worry if it would prevent me from entering certain circles later on (esp. those in academia).

Quote from: AwesomeYears on April 02, 2015, 01:50:40 PMProject Infinity?
Not a bad idea for an album title...

That said, let's say I do make an album (not that I'm really personally interested to do so at this point, BUT WHAT IF). What would be most appealing to select audiences?:

Bespinben   
[cover art]
Project Infinity
Bespinben                     
[cover art]
Project Infinity
Pokemon Piano Collections
[cover art]
Project Infinity

MaestroUGC

The only reason you'd need to worry about some circles of academia is either due to snobbery or lack of quality. And I don't think your current fans would mind you shifting to using your real name on your work.

AwesomeYears

Probs Bespinben, I feel like that you should only use your full name (in music) for composing albums, not arranging albums.

Bespinben

Quote from: MaestroUGC on April 02, 2015, 02:08:17 PMThe only reason you'd need to worry about some circles of academia is either due to snobbery or lack of quality. And I don't think your current fans would mind you shifting to using your real name on your work.
Haha thanks, that's reassuring. If snobs will snob, well that's their loss. I just don't like how there is such a schism between art music and music media. For example, I know my University would tell me if I wanted to be a Video Game Composer I should go get a degree in Audio Design from the Commercial Music department, as opposed to pursuing a degree in Music Composition from the Theory/History department. I feel like there's some kind of snobbery underlying that.
(Not saying I intend to become that, because I can barely compose anything to save my life besides a 4 measure cadence...)

And I agree with you about people not minding, it's just, seeing as how I'm still getting messages like "Woah you're back? I thought you were dead!" on Youtube from ACTIVE users even 6 months after my return, it leads me to believe that if such a LARGE event as my return doesn't seem to communicate, how much will me making a SUBTLE change, like my username, communicate? Far less I would think.

MaestroUGC

"I'm the one seeking my degree, let me figure out how to use it."

Also YouTube isn't a good gauge on making these decisions, most of your views will likely be in passing, maybe only a tenth of your subscribers will actually see everything you do.

Waddle Bro

Most names like "Pokemon Reorchestrated" feel pretentious(or over-pretentious to me) because they feel like they need to set the bar so high that no one else can call their Pokemon arrangements "the reorchestrated" versions, if you get what I mean(because it's kinda difficult to explain). This same thing applies to using a definite article in context with "Video Game Pianist", there would be no equivalent to you, because you are the definite video game pianist and somehow you'd be better than anyone else in that sense, because you're the only one who could be called as that.

I personally believe that you should let your work speak for yourself, instead of trying to do it the other way around.

also ninja'd x3

Bespinben

Quote from: MaestroUGC on April 02, 2015, 02:33:18 PMmost of your views will likely be in passing, maybe only a tenth of your subscribers will actually see everything you do.
Holy cow, tell me about it! Sub count is so deceptive. When I barely started my channel in 2011, the 100 subs I had pretty much all were real ones, whereas coming back finding it in the thousands, there all seem to be missing when I upload something. Not that I really care, I just love doing what I do, but for the sake of this discussion of the viability of my abilities in a more professional setting, it does give me cause to wonder.

Quote from: Waddle Bro on April 02, 2015, 02:37:58 PMMost names like "Pokemon Reorchestrated" feel pretentious(or over-pretentious to me) because they feel like they need to set the bar so high that no one else can call their Pokemon arrangements "the reorchestrated" versions, if you get what I mean(because it's kinda difficult to explain). This same thing applies to using a definite article in context with "Video Game Pianist", there would be no equivalent to you, because you are the definite video game pianist and somehow you'd be better than anyone else in that sense, because you're the only one who could be called as that.

I personally believe that you should let your work speak for yourself, instead of trying to do it the other way around.

I see what you mean with the word "THE". I can think of some more notable examples (ex: THE Piano Guys). If they can live up to their "THE"-ness though, I don't see much an issue. Seems to have a marketing/psychological effect too. However, I don't think I would ever consider titling my work with any degree of "the"-ness, as most of it is just transcription work. Those guys can get away with it because, imo, they really do stand out.