News:

Using cutting-edge ray tracing technology, our sheets appear 69% more realistic than the leading bargain brand!

Main Menu

[SNES] Super Mario RPG - "Conversation With Culex" (Replacement) by mariolegofan

Started by Zeta, April 11, 2015, 10:15:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeta

Submission Information:

Series: Super Mario
Game: Super Mario RPG
Console: Super Nintendo Entertainment System
Title: Conversation With Culex
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: mariolegofan

Replacement Information:

Links to Existing Sheet: MUS | MIDI | PDF
Replacement Type: Challenge (new arranger)

[attachment deleted by admin]

Bespinben

Since it's such a straightforward piece, why not include some hand positioning markings? It would a lot of sense to alternate between the left and right hands every four 16th notes, starting with the right hand (ex: m.1-2 ~ RH, LH, RH, LH | RH, LH, RH, LH). If you do that, you would also want to hide the rests in the top and bottom staves, to create a sense of unity in the arpeggio.
Quote from: Nebbles on July 04, 2015, 12:05:12 PM
Someone beat Bespinben to making PMD music?! GASP!

MLF for Chatroom Mod next Tuesday

Bespinben

This song is extremely similar to the Final Fantasy Prelude theme, so to help give you a demonstration on my point, take a look at the official Squaresound sheet. Notice the fingerings too (always good to include those):

Also, some invisible pedal for the MIDI playback would be nice (it would literally take only 5 seconds). Not mandatory of course, but since that's what our daily 2k visitors to the site hear when they check out our sheets, it wouldn't hurt.

Sebastian

You're absolutely right! I had Deku submit this one for me. Does this version have the diminuendos and crescendos?
I get on this stuff! :)

The Deku Trombonist

Sebastian

Ok :p
I wanted to make sure I didn't give you the wrong version :P

EDIT: Oh and Bespinben, should I alternate right hand left hand etc.?

Bespinben

You have a few options MLF. It depends on how specifically want something notated, and how much you demand it be played that particular way. Writing my PMD GtI "Choosing Pokémon", I developed a way to provide this specific notation without sacrificing the possibility for re-interpretation. Allow me to demonstrate with the first measure of this song:

There's a number of subtleties at play here. Notice I use the beaming to bring further attention to the hand changes (via breaks and stem direction). Also, when it comes to writing fingerings you only need to write as much as is needed. The top of the arpeggio doesn't need finger markings because it just repeats from earlier. I also hid the rests because the arpeggio is a cohesive whole. The nice part of it all is that if someone doesn't like my fingerings or hand markings, he or she can still see the whole thing together and re-work it according to his or her liking.
(Message me if you want the file that contains my version here -- it takes a while to draw those custom brackets XD)

On the other hand, using clef changes in both hands provides clarity, but is does not allow room for interpretation and segregates the arpeggio into separate components:

Sebastian

Ok!
Could I do left hand, right hand left hand right hand so on? I was playing it like that earlier and I like it.....
Imo, I think clef changes are a pain in the butt. I'm not a big fan of them. So I'll probably do it in the style of your first example :)

Bespinben

Yeah do it! It's your arrangement not mine lol. I just want to make sure you know what tools are available to you as a creator of sheets.

(Also, I've been using Deku's retro formatting template, if you haven't noticed by the pictures. I would highly recommend it for this piece)

P.S. You probably will only need to write hand position markings for the first two measures; just write simile after that and write in new fingering as needed.

JesterMusician

There's a book called Behind Bars which helps explain what to do in awkward notation situations like this. Here are some relevant excerpts (from "Distributing notes between the hands")

Here is something that Super Mario Series for Piano: Intermediate-Advanced Edition does with hand-crossing - it's not mentioned in Behind Bars but I quite like it - use both a verbal indication and a bracket, but coming from the opposite direction of the crossing hand's staff.

The resulting passage in this case would look like one of the following:

The Deku Trombonist

Quote from: Bespinben on April 12, 2015, 06:42:02 PM(Message me if you want the file that contains my version here -- it takes a while to draw those custom brackets XD)
Is there any way to make a custom line out of it? I tried briefly but the line just goes straight through the text.

DonValentino

Quote from: Deku Trombonist on April 13, 2015, 01:28:30 AMIs there any way to make a custom line out of it? I tried briefly but the line just goes straight through the text.

I think what he did was create a left bracket and a right bracket separately and put the text between both.

Sebastian

Ok!
Got everything fixed: https://www.dropbox.com/s/cfcbxacno7sz2tf/super%20mario%20rpg%20-%20conversation%20with%20culex.zip?dl=0
Could a mod get it in the op for me? :)
This is a finale notepad thing so there was one thing I couldn't do. I need some courtesy accidentals in there.

Maelstrom

Sebastian