Series: Metal Gear
Game: Metal Gear (MSX)
Console: PC
Title: Theme of Tara
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: Arc of the Half-Moon

Arc of the Half-Moon

https://www.youtube.com/embed/t4SHQSSeib4"

This is a big one, at least for my standards, and it's only the 2nd arrangement I've submitted thus far, so there is a lot that I could have potentially screwed up.

That said, if you see any issues, then just go ahead and hit me with'em! Just as I came here to contribute, I also came here to learn.
My Favorite Song:
Spoiler
YES - "Close to the Edge"
[soundcloud]https://soundcloud.com/yesofficial/yes-close-to-the-edge[/soundcloud]
[close]

My Favorite Game:
Spoiler
Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
[close]

Arc of the Half-Moon

Also, I HIGHLY suggest downloading the midi if you want to hear how the arrangement actually sounds. God knows I'm not going to waste time perfecting the .mus file, because that would actually require the in-depth use of Finale NotePad.

No, "good enough," is as far as I'm willing to go with the .mus file.
My Favorite Song:
Spoiler
[soundcloud]https://soundcloud.com/yesofficial/yes-close-to-the-edge[/soundcloud]
[close]

My Favorite Game:
Spoiler
[close]

Tobbeh99

Some quick stuff I noticed, pretty much only some possible enhancements:
-Meausres 1-4: are you sure you want them marcato? Maybe also consider adding a staccato to them.
-Measure 1-21, the first two notes in each bar in the right hand, the "strong notes": I think an accent would be suitable.
-Measure 1-21, the later three notes: I think a slur would be very appropriate since they are legato notes.
-Measure 22-29: Maybe add accents and maybe also change the dynamics.
-Measure 46 beat 4: how are you actually going to play that chord? Edit it so it becomes playable, maybe by making it an arpoggiated chord.
-Measure 50 & 51 beat 1: Have you actually tried play that interval in the the left hand? It's really big and requires big hands, you might want to make it easier somehow, maybe by making the right hand play the higher bass note and make it an arpoggiated chord. 
Dynamics: Start in mf or f, measure 14 increase to f or ff, measure 18 decrease to mf or f, measure 22 increase to f or ff.  Might be more dynamics later on but this is a good start.
Quote from: Dudeman on August 16, 2016, 06:11:42 AM
tfw you get schooled in English grammar by a guy whose first language is not English

10/10 tobbeh

Arc of the Half-Moon

On the topic of playability, I wasn't actually sure whether this site values playability more than accuracy to the original track, and to be honest (confession time), I'm actually not all that good at playing the piano. I'm getting better, definitely, and especially with all the practice material to be found here, but quite a bit of what you see was jotted down by hand.

Anyway, I'll see what I can do, and I'll definitely work on using the keyboard more than the mouse.
My Favorite Song:
Spoiler
[close]

My Favorite Game:
Spoiler
[close]

Arc of the Half-Moon

So would this be what you meant? Does this look more playable?

Also, what is marcato if not a combination of staccato and an accent?
My Favorite Song:
Spoiler
[close]

My Favorite Game:
Spoiler
[close]

Tobbeh99

Quote from: Arc of the Half-Moon on May 02, 2015, 07:57:24 PM

So would this be what you meant? Does this look more playable?

Yes that's better, now it's playable.

Quote from: Arc of the Half-Moon on May 02, 2015, 07:57:24 PMAlso, what is marcato if not a combination of staccato and an accent?

I've searched a bit, and some in sources it is know as a stronger accent, while in others it's known as a staccato-accent. 
If you want the passage to be both accented and with staccato I'd recommend making putting an accent mark and a staccato mark on the notes to clarify.
Like this:

or this:
tfw you get schooled in English grammar by a guy whose first language is not English

10/10 tobbeh

Arc of the Half-Moon

Okay. Cool. Well, I want those first bass chords to be particularly forceful and quick, so I think I'll take your suggestion of keeping the marcato and combining it with staccato for clarification.
My Favorite Song:
Spoiler
[close]

My Favorite Game:
Spoiler
[close]

Arc of the Half-Moon

Okay. Draft #2 is up! Not only did I fix all the aforementioned problems with the first draft, but I was also able to condense the arrangement into two pages, since the third page was only taken up by a single line and was a real waste of paper.
My Favorite Song:
Spoiler
[close]

My Favorite Game:
Spoiler
[close]

Tobbeh99

Quote from: Arc of the Half-Moon on May 03, 2015, 12:06:04 PMOkay. Draft #2 is up! Not only did I fix all the aforementioned problems with the first draft, but I was also able to condense the arrangement into two pages, since the third page was only taken up by a single line and was a real waste of paper.
Definetly looks better. :)

Quote from: Arc of the Half-Moon on May 02, 2015, 06:55:38 PMOn the topic of playability, I wasn't actually sure whether this site values playability more than accuracy to the original track, and to be honest (confession time), I'm actually not all that good at playing the piano. I'm getting better, definitely, and especially with all the practice material to be found here, but quite a bit of what you see was jotted down by hand.

Anyway, I'll see what I can do, and I'll definitely work on using the keyboard more than the mouse.

As for play-ability VS Accuracy to the Original song: people on site have different opinions about how much freedom you can have. I usually strive for a balance, so that it's still very correct note-by-note but I might change some parts if it isn't playable or if it makes the song more suitable for piano. But I think most people will agree on the fact that it has to be playable: no too large intervals, too fast runs.

There are tools to use to get around these problems. Some I use:
-Ocatavating a voice, making the voice one octave higher or lower, sometimes you octavate the bass to be able to play a middle voice with the left hand. Or if the higher voices are playing intervals of thirteens, you can octavate the middle voice so that they play thirds.
-Arpoggiated chords, by using arpoggiated chords you play certain chords that aren't playable in one strike.
-worst case scenario, you might need to rewrite some small part or exclude some notes/a voice to make a certain part playable

However be aware that: sometimes in a three/four voiced song, a certain section might still be playable using both right hand and left hand to cover the middle voice(s), it might be difficult to play, but still playable which is the most important.

10/10 tobbeh

Arc of the Half-Moon

Now were onto draft #2.1. It's pretty much just cosmetic adjustments and cleaning up with no real changes to the song itself. I also tried making it easier to read in some places. Now, unless someone comes at me with a drastic change that makes a lot of sense, I think it's pretty close to finished.

By the way, thanks for all the feedback, Tobbeh. I definitely feel like I know a bit more of what I'm doing now.
My Favorite Song:
Spoiler
[close]

My Favorite Game:
Spoiler
[close]

Bespinben

While I pride myself on being the king of nitpick in sheet cosmetics, I don't think that's an issue here (quite pretty actually).

What I do notice however is a few discrepancies I hear in your arrangement compared to the original. For example, the beginnings of m. 1, 3, 5, 7, etc. are not dyads -- they are triads. I think it's fine with the few additions you made (like adding a perfect 5th above the E drone in m. 2), but when you're missing important things like the above, that's where I get worried.

So, back to the grinding board!
Quote from: Nebbles on July 04, 2015, 12:05:12 PM
Someone beat Bespinben to making PMD music?! GASP!

MLF for Chatroom Mod next Tuesday

Arc of the Half-Moon

Quote from: Bespinben on June 01, 2015, 04:50:41 PMWhile I pride myself on being the king of nitpick in sheet cosmetics, I don't think that's an issue here (quite pretty actually).

Why, thank you! I happen to pride myself on making my sheets as clean, clear, and consistent as possible, mainly because it screws with my head when something looks out of place.

Quote from: Bespinben on June 01, 2015, 04:50:41 PMFor example, the beginnings of m. 1, 3, 5, 7, etc. are not dyads -- they are triads.

I have no idea why I couldn't hear that until just now.

Quote from: Bespinben on June 01, 2015, 04:50:41 PMSo, back to the grinding board!

Indeed...
...*sigh*
My Favorite Song:
Spoiler
[close]

My Favorite Game:
Spoiler
[close]

Bespinben

With a heavy heart, I must declare that this submission has become inactive. It was almost there too.
Quote from: Nebbles on July 04, 2015, 12:05:12 PM
Someone beat Bespinben to making PMD music?! GASP!

MLF for Chatroom Mod next Tuesday