News:

Don't forget to submit your daily replacement!

Main Menu

Butterfly Repeats and Jumps

Started by Brawler4Ever, June 01, 2015, 08:07:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brawler4Ever

Okay, so I'm revising my arrangement of Dance Dance Revolution's Butterfly, and I'm having some trouble with the repeats. I can get most of them to work, but whenever I find a solution to one problem, it creates an entirely different problem.

here is the sheet.
reference: (song starts at 0:33)

Every repeat works as intended in Notepad. However, I have very little experience working with Segnos and Codas, and other jumps of that nature. That's why I need help. Most of everything that I need has been accomplished with Musescore, except one. I want to put a repeat at the end of measure 16 (the end of the chorus) that goes back to the beginning of measure 5 at the end of its second iteration. I was able to do this with "D.S. Al Coda" and a Segno sign  with a repeat bar while in Musescore. However, when this was done, it accidentally ignored the repeat bar at the end of measure 12 on the left side during the second iteration; it would still repeat normally from the right (jumping from 16 to 13, as it should). But, it would not repeat measures 9-12, as it is supposed to, normally.

When I converted to Notepad, the Segno and jump didn't work at all (even though it showed the correct sign and everything), but the rest of the song did. I have no idea why.

The link provided works as it should; every repeat acts normally, with the exception of the jump for which I am looking. In short, the song should go like this:
1) play 1-8 once
2) play 9-12 twice
3) play 13-16 twice
4) jump back to 5, then play until 8
5) repeat steps 2 and 3
6) play 17-20
7) play 17-21, ignoring 20

Is that so difficult?  ::)

So, in short, I would like some help with this jump. It's difficult to understand, I'm sure, and I'm beginning to wonder if it's even worth it; would to be better to just leave it as it was, without any repeats?

On a slightly off-topic note, I also need help with some 8bas in measures 8 and 12. It turns out that I can place 8bas in MuseScore, but they face up, rather than down. Is that a problem? I'm afraid that it might be confusing to the pianist as it is now. Especially since they say 8va, even though they are 8ba. Originally the line was below the staff, but that would not be helpful. I plan on adding lyrics to the song, and the line would get in the way of that. Could someone take a look at this for me?  :-\
Even when everyone else has gone,
I will punch the punching bag until a game comes on. XD

10 years later. Still Brawling!

Maelstrom

It doesn't hurt to just have a long sheet.
You should probably use Dropbox instead of mediafire, btw. No copyright claims.

JDMEK5

I was redoing all the repeats the way I would as per your direction and I had no trouble till step 5. That can't be done easily so I'm gonna work around that. Give me a minute.

Kay here you go. Is this right?

Repeats definitely saved ink here which is good but like I said, step 5 was impossible so I took out the idea of repeats there. Otherwise it all worked out.
"Today's goal strongly involves not dying. Because nobody likes to wake up dead."

My Arrangements
Finale Version(s): Finale Notepad 2012, Finale 2012, Finale v26

Brawler4Ever

Yeah, I figured that it would be difficult to arrange, let alone perform.  :P

I'm going to continue working on it. I'm pretty much going to use your structure, JD, but I'll make a few alterations here and there. I promise that it won't be as confusing when I'm done!  ;D

EDIT: Okay, here is the almost-finished product. I had to make some changes to one of my earlier versions to get it right. Unfortunately, this undid the work that JD did on the 8vas. Would somebody be able to fix that for me?

Basically, there are 3 spots (measure 8, 24, and 27) where an 8va is shown over one or two notes. This is a glitch; it should say 8ba, and its area should be pointed down. It functions correctly; all notes play back one octave lower than they show, as they should. The problem is the text above, it's a very strange glitch that I cannot fix.  :-\

It turns out that lyrics can't stack on top of one another, and using the Text tool became very messy. So, I decided to separate every part that had different lyrics. Other areas the repeat themselves remained in repeat form. I think it's much more clean this way!

Quote from: Maelstrom on June 01, 2015, 08:16:57 AMYou should probably use Dropbox instead of mediafire, btw. No copyright claims.

What do you mean by no copyright claims? I tried using Dropbox but they want me to pay a subscription, or settle for a 14-day trial.
Even when everyone else has gone,
I will punch the punching bag until a game comes on. XD

10 years later. Still Brawling!

Tobbeh99

From what I understood it, it seems like a basic verse/chorus form:

Intro: 4 measures
|:Instrumental part: 4 measures
verse: 8 measures
Chorus: 8 measures :|(use repeat/segno if it's possible, if it's not identical write it out.)
Outro: 4+4 measures, use volta brackets.

The thing is, I don't know how segno interacts with repeat brackets, if they do refresh or not? If its possible then it's clearly better to use a segno from in the beginning of instr. part and "to segno" in the end of the chorus, and use repeat brackets for the verse and the chorus.

Dropbox: emm, isn't it free?? I got it, and completely free for me. https://www.dropbox.com/install "Free for Windows, Mac, Linux, and Mobile". I think the only thing you need to pay for is if you want more space. 
Quote from: Dudeman on August 16, 2016, 06:11:42 AM
tfw you get schooled in English grammar by a guy whose first language is not English

10/10 tobbeh

JDMEK5

"Today's goal strongly involves not dying. Because nobody likes to wake up dead."

My Arrangements
Finale Version(s): Finale Notepad 2012, Finale 2012, Finale v26