News:

Local man invests life savings into turnips. When asked whether it was a wise decision he responded, "Eh. I'm sure someone will buy them."

Main Menu

[WiiU] Super Mario 3D World - "Super Bell Hill" by TheMarioPianist

Started by Zeta, June 29, 2015, 02:24:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeta

Submission Information:

Series: Super Mario
Game: Super Mario 3D World
Console: Wii U
Title: Super Bell Hill
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: TheMarioPianist

[attachment deleted by admin]

TheMarioPianist

Here's the video for the actual song. Also, my .mus file doesn't have any swing because my version doesn't support it. Any help there, please?
"I'm always here to help. Except when I'm not." ~Latios212

"If you're interested in 'balancing' work and pleasure, stop trying to balance them. Instead make your work more pleasurable." ~Donald J. Trump

Transcriber
M-updater
Piano player

AwesomeYears

TheMarioPianist

Yea, I knew there was a submission. I didn't know if there was a rule against submitting the same song if the first one hadn't been accepted yet. I kinda threw this together before looking at the forums. I saw that someone else had done it, but figured I'd do it anyway. If I am not supposed to duplicate, I apologize.

"If you're interested in 'balancing' work and pleasure, stop trying to balance them. Instead make your work more pleasurable." ~Donald J. Trump

Transcriber
M-updater
Piano player

Maelstrom

Well, the best one is the only one that gets on the site. That's just how it goes. If a sheet on the site stinks, and you make a better version, go right ahead and submit it.

Yug_Guy

If I'm going to be 100% honest here, this is a heck of a lot better than my arrangement. My one criticism would be about the second voice in the right hand. I chose not to use it in my arrangement because I didn't think it could "fit" anywhere, and I see this a little in your arrangement. Specifically measures 5, which has the second voice near the top of the staff, and the main melody towards the bottom. Similar predicaments crop up between measures 5 and 18. I don't see how it could be reasonably played with one hand. I'd also say a little stem flipping is necessary throughout the piece.

But seriously though, this one blows my original out of the water. Kudos  ;)

Maelstrom

After looking at it, I'd like to raise some concerns about playability. I really think those high 3rds are just too high to be practical in any way, shape, or form. It would just feel unnatural to play. I'd recommend printing it out and trying it for yourself to see what I mean.

And, when in Finale, use L to flip stems. You may need to press it twice. It's kind of weird.

Tobbeh99

As Maelstrom said the playability of the second layer is questionable. However one thing I noticed is that you can just switch octaves on the first and the second layer, so the melody becomes high and the chords becomes low, and maybe change some 6ths into 3rds. I'm not 100% of this and how to do with the second part, but this might be a good solution.
Quote from: Dudeman on August 16, 2016, 06:11:42 AM
tfw you get schooled in English grammar by a guy whose first language is not English

10/10 tobbeh

TheMarioPianist

Yea, I don't actually know why I wrote the thirds in. Basically I thought that the main melody sounded a little bland because there aren't really any chords. I just didn't know if I'd get in trouble by throwing a few chords in the right hand and straying from the original a little bit.

Transcriber
M-updater
Piano player

TheMarioPianist

Oh yea, and critique me on tempo if you want. I know @Yug_Guy had 112 (I think) on his, but based on how I wrote it mine needs to be approximately double. So if I need to bump it up a bit let me know.

Transcriber
M-updater
Piano player

TheMarioPianist

OK, took almost all of the thirds out (except for 2 measures where they are filling blank spaces and are playable). Also, I put some chords in the right hand to strengthen the melody a bit. Let me know what you think  :)

Transcriber
M-updater
Piano player

Maelstrom

It looks pretty good!
A few things:
--Fiddle around with the text at the top. Try to make it look like some of the other submissions. (e.g. correctly aligned text, etc.)
--It's not a problem on the .mus, but the second line of composers is missing on the PDF
--A simple repeat would suffice at the end instead of a DS.
Most of the other stuff is simply aesthetic.
--All those dotted quarter dotted quarters are improper note beaming. To show the beat properly, you should write it as dotted quarter, 8th tied to a quarter for all of them.
--The note stems are better, but still a problem.
--Try to avoid playing the same note in both layers, even if it's part of the harmony. It will make the sheet look much, much cleaner.
--Some of those tie lines are just plain weird. I'm not sure how to fix them.
--Again, try to condense the layers wherever possible. For example, in m4, that quarter chord could be entirely inserted into the 2nd layer to clean things up a little.
--M34+35 are another good example of both of the things I'm talking about. In 34, you could just use one layer. That dotted half could be removed and the quarter added in to the other layer as an eighth. In 35, that redundancy is completely unnecessary. It's up to you how to approach it. Will you remove the dotted eighth and leave the other layer (and hide the first rest)? Or will you remove the whole note and leave it as is (with the corrected note beaming)?

Yug_Guy

Quote from: cqk328 on June 30, 2015, 06:13:22 AMYea, I don't actually know why I wrote the thirds in. Basically I thought that the main melody sounded a little bland because there aren't really any chords. I just didn't know if I'd get in trouble by throwing a few chords in the right hand and straying from the original a little bit.
Sometimes when transcribing it doesn't always sound the best, even if you copy it exactly. Some things just don't work out.

Quote from: cqk328 on June 30, 2015, 06:30:16 AMOh yea, and critique me on tempo if you want. I know @Yug_Guy had 112 (I think) on his, but based on how I wrote it mine needs to be approximately double. So if I need to bump it up a bit let me know.
I had gotten critiques that I needed to double my tempo. The tempo you've got is just fine.

Quote from: cqk328 on June 30, 2015, 07:46:31 AMOK, took almost all of the thirds out (except for 2 measures where they are filling blank spaces and are playable). Also, I put some chords in the right hand to strengthen the melody a bit. Let me know what you think  :)
Definitely looks a lot better. The chords are a nice touch.  :)

TheMarioPianist

I'll make those changes ASAP...Not at home right now, but I know what you are talking about as in proper note beamings, redundancies, etc. On properly aligning text, is there a way to properly center text in Finale? Also, can you do the same on MuseScore? I have to convert to xml between the two and it jumbles up text all the time.

Transcriber
M-updater
Piano player

TheMarioPianist

Ok, changes were made. If the note stems are still an issue, could you tell me where specifically (assuming its not a majority of them)?  Same with the ties. I fixed a few, but if I missed any let me know. Lastly, if my text isn't aligned, could you tell me how to do so in Notepad and MuseScore? Would be appreciated  :D 

Transcriber
M-updater
Piano player