[WiiU] Super Mario 3D World - "Super Bell Hill" by TheMarioPianist

Started by Zeta, June 29, 2015, 02:24:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maelstrom

You definitely got most, if not all of them. Yet, this brought up another problem. Unnecessary rests. I tried and you can't fix it in notepad, so you'll need to have someone with a higher version of finale touch it up. All they need to do is hide the rests that are getting in the way.
The text isn't actually that bad, looking at it again. I still recommend moving the arranger text up closer to the composer text (just use the text tool -- The big A)

Two final things:
First, you will need to reenter quite a few of those notes to realign them properly. (like m19 and m35)
Second, the notes really shouldn't be colliding with the dynamics. If you find yourself having trouble moving the dynamics/adjusting the stems, remember that sometimes a simple cresc. or dim. text will do the same job. (just make sure it's italicized)

Also, try to remember to update your .mus file often. It's usually what people check to give you feedback instead of the PDFs and midis.
'
edit: and some 8vb's wouldn't hurt either to ease up on those ledger lines.

Yug_Guy

Quote from: Maelstrom on June 30, 2015, 12:22:05 PMUnnecessary rests. I tried and you can't fix it in notepad, so you'll need to have someone with a higher version of finale touch it up. All they need to do is hide the rests that are getting in the way.
Usually you can't erase any rests from the first voice, but you can usually do it from the second voice onward. I know that's how it works in Musescore, and I believe I've been able to do it in Notepad as well.

TheMarioPianist

Ok, updated them again. I made the rests invisible in Musescore and I think they remained that way in Finale. I know I could just update the .mus, but my occasional OCD makes me update all 3  :D. Anyway, if I missed anything, let me know.
"I'm always here to help. Except when I'm not." ~Latios212

"If you're interested in 'balancing' work and pleasure, stop trying to balance them. Instead make your work more pleasurable." ~Donald J. Trump

Transcriber
M-updater
Piano player

Maelstrom

Quote from: Yug_Guy on June 30, 2015, 01:33:54 PMUsually you can't erase any rests from the first voice, but you can usually do it from the second voice onward. I know that's how it works in Musescore, and I believe I've been able to do it in Notepad as well.
I don't think you can do it inf Notepad at all.
You can hide rests in the main voice in finale, btw.

Otherwise, the arrangement looks pretty good. I'd wait until an updater comes by though. They're sure to see something I missed.

TheMarioPianist

Just a question since I'm new here. If I come off sounding impatient, I apologize in advance. Just so I know, how long does it generally take for an updater to come through? Once again, my apologies if I'm sounding impatient.

"If you're interested in 'balancing' work and pleasure, stop trying to balance them. Instead make your work more pleasurable." ~Donald J. Trump

Transcriber
M-updater
Piano player

Latios212

Could range from a few days to a few months.

I do love this song ^^ I know this song has been sitting here for a while (not just your sheet) and actually I was just talking to Bespinben yesterday about this one. The updater train will (hopefully) arrive soon!
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

TheMarioPianist

Ok, that's what I figured. Just wanted to know mainly for future reference if one of my arrangements (or even this one) bombs, so that I would know when to move on. And since its in my head, one final question, although it might not fit here. Of course, I have seen a medley of one game's worth of songs on the main site (Super Mario 64), but my question is this. If I have a medley spanning multiple games, does that belong in this submission forum or in the personal arrangements area? To be more specific, I have a medley of all of the "Rainbow Road" themes from the console Mario Kart games (currently only written for steel drum, actually) that I was planning on writing a piano score for.

Transcriber
M-updater
Piano player

Maelstrom

Idk if we still put melodies on the site. If you want an updater to see it, the best place to post would be here:
http://forum.ninsheetmusic.org/index.php?topic=2482.0

TheMarioPianist

Wow, didn't realize that Yug Guy's was from February. This song really has been on here for awhile.

Transcriber
M-updater
Piano player

Yug_Guy

Quote from: cqk328 on July 06, 2015, 10:16:14 AMWow, didn't realize that Yug Guy's was from February. This song really has been on here for awhile.
Yeah. Both of my submissions have been on here for a while. I'd really just like to get them freed up so I can post new submissions. I got quite a few that can go on site.
You hear that updaters?! Well?!

TheMarioPianist

Quote from: Yug_Guy on July 06, 2015, 12:14:26 PMYeah. Both of my submissions have been on here for a while. I'd really just like to get them freed up so I can post new submissions. I got quite a few that can go on site.
You hear that updaters?! Well?!

Yea, based on the newest update, it looks like they're putting off submissions until they finish up the projects they're working on. So hopefully the more recent submissions should be looked at and accepted before the end of the month. Assuming that the pages are not written in 2pt font  :D

Transcriber
M-updater
Piano player

TheMarioPianist

Just realized the extended intro (the first 2 measures) actually comes from the theme from Super Mario 3D World, which is a different song. This intro plays when playing Super Bell Hill but is omitted when playing in any other level that uses the theme. Should I keep the intro or get rid of it?

Transcriber
M-updater
Piano player

Latios212

Last time I booted up this game to check, and yeah that intro only plays in Super Bell Hill, not even in the title screen. Can you find a reliable YouTube playlist? (Probably doesn't exist...)
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

TheMarioPianist

Quote from: Latios212 on July 14, 2015, 02:19:44 PMLast time I booted up this game to check, and yeah that intro only plays in Super Bell Hill, not even in the title screen. Can you find a reliable YouTube playlist? (Probably doesn't exist...)

The playlist I have on the 3D World thread is good. Same as the one on vgmdb.net (the one Olimar gave me). "Super Bell Hill" does not play the intro, but the "Theme of Super Mario 3D World" does. However, that's a different song that has a key change and a definite ending. So I probably should get rid of the intro.

Transcriber
M-updater
Piano player

Bespinben

The updater train is here! It seems this sheet has gone through a few flip-flops between exact transcription and adaptive arranging. I didn't get to see the sheet in its first iteration, so I will simply judge it as it is currently.

As regular Me, I love it -- good harmonies especially for the RH. However, as Updater Me, when there IS a way to incorporate the independent voices, ideally this route should be taken as far as NinSheetMusic transcriptions are concerned. There are a few exceptions (SlowPokemon's "Prologue" submission from Ace Attorney being one them), but this is the standard. Allow me to demonstrate a version of the song (m. 4-7), that incorporates all the voices:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/35209091/SM3DW%20-%20Super%20Bell%20Hill%20%28example%29.musx

Some inverting, octave transpositions, and choice omissions were necessary to make it at the very least physically playable, but it is what I believe a very faithful representation of the source material. Granted, I don't expect you to fit a 4-part ensemble into 2 hands EVERY TIME, but if there's a way to do it (within reason), why not?
-----------------

That's just one subject though. I would much rather address what you HAVE arranged, since the former subject is a rather touchy one as of late (again, c.f. Slow's "Prologue"). The only thing that truly stops me from hitting the Accept button right away (and I want to really bad because this is an especially good arrangement) is the lack of the fine details that make the song. I've noted below (from m. 1-2) several missing notes in red, and a rest in blue where it was formerly tied over.

Also some important chord strikes and walking bass lines (m. 3-4):

-------------------------------------

Quote from: Nebbles on July 04, 2015, 12:05:12 PM
Someone beat Bespinben to making PMD music?! GASP!

MLF for Chatroom Mod next Tuesday