News:

Debate topic for next Tuesday: Are cannons truly valid instruments for an orchestra? Or should they be replaced with something safer, like Tesla coils?

Main Menu

Notation Issue

Started by Magic Mole, July 02, 2015, 11:03:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magic Mole

I was arranging something when I ran into a slight hiccup. I have very little experience with music theory, so I was wondering whether there was a specific way I should format the phrases I have boxed in. Two staccato eighth notes or two sixteenth notes separated by rests? Or is it up to the arranger?
https://www.dropbox.com/s/fawlg5f0sumfl4f/Untitled.png?dl=0
Here's the song for the (unfinished) arrangement if it helps:

Tobbeh99

I'm pretty sure that both ways work. In certain arrangements one or the other might seem better and more logical, but generally both works, and in this arrangement I'd say either one of them works fine.
Quote from: Dudeman on August 16, 2016, 06:11:42 AM
tfw you get schooled in English grammar by a guy whose first language is not English

10/10 tobbeh

Magic Mole

Ah, okay, I had a hunch but wanted to make sure just in case. Thank you very much!

Pianist Da Sootopolis

Ditto to the above.
Personally I'd go with two sixteenths in this one, separated by a rest, to emphasize the space. Like they said though, it's up to the arranger.
what is shitpost

JDMEK5

In some styles, there's a specific difference between staccato and halved time when it comes to piano. I know, technically, they mean the same thing, but in piano, the staccato is to be played (usually) as quick as you can. Where as a half-timed note will be less articulate and more present. But in a quick piece, it shouldn't make much of a difference at this subdivision. In this case, I'd say it's up to you I think but personally I'd probably go with the former method you mentioned.
"Today's goal strongly involves not dying. Because nobody likes to wake up dead."

My Arrangements
Finale Version(s): Finale Notepad 2012, Finale 2012, Finale v26