Adjusting the Pokémon Games

Started by Brawler4Ever, July 31, 2015, 12:17:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should the third game from each generation be a separate category?

Yes! Yellow should be separate from Red/Blue. Crystal should be separate from Gold/Silver. Etc...
No! The system that we have is fine and changing it will just confuse everybody!
No! I have another idea! (Explain below)

Maelstrom

Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on August 03, 2015, 01:02:33 PMIs now a good time to bring up the ordering problem with the Zelda section
What's wrong with it.

JDMEK5

We had this discussion in the Red/Blue project and we basically decided to just label the 3rd game tracks with "(Yellow)" or "(Yellow Version)" where applicable. It looks great and works very nicely. Why not just use the same system for the others too? I love consistency.
"Today's goal strongly involves not dying. Because nobody likes to wake up dead."

My Arrangements
Finale Version(s): Finale Notepad 2012, Finale 2012, Finale v26

SlowPokemon

Completely disagree, even though there are only a few tracks exclusive to Yellow, they are not in Red and Blue at all and shouldn't be treated as the same game. This is an especially bad way to handle things for, say, Platinum, which has 30+ exclusive tracks, or Black 2 and White 2, which has well over 100.
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

JDMEK5

Quote from: SlowPokemon on August 05, 2015, 01:34:15 PMCompletely disagree, even though there are only a few tracks exclusive to Yellow, they are not in Red and Blue at all and shouldn't be treated as the same game. This is an especially bad way to handle things for, say, Platinum, which has 30+ exclusive tracks, or Black 2 and White 2, which has well over 100.
Alright point taken. Then my vote would be for splitting the 3rd games apart.
"Today's goal strongly involves not dying. Because nobody likes to wake up dead."

My Arrangements

mikey

Quote from: Maelstrom on August 03, 2015, 04:27:59 PMWhat's wrong with it.
They use "The" when alphabetizing.  That's not right
unmotivated

Pianist Da Sootopolis

Which would (rightfully) place it in the "L" section. I volunteered at a library a couple weeks ago and ran into this issue, and was taught to categorize something like this as "Legend of Zelda, the" and so on.
what is shitpost

mikey

not only that, but Minish Cap is underneath the likes of Ocarina of Time
unmotivated

Brawler4Ever

I've heard from Latios, but I would like to hear the opinions of the rest of the staff, since this decision entirely rests upon them. As far as the poll goes:

Spoiler
5 votes are unanimous in favor of my proposal, as of this post.
[close]

To summarize my idea:
1) The first two games in each generation of Pokemon games would be a combined game. As far as I've seen, they always share the same soundtrack.
2) The third game would only include songs exclusive to that game; repeats would belong to the prior games in that generation.
3) Every other suggestion is up for debate and discussion. My main idea rests entirely on the first two points; everything else is based around the optimization of these two central ideas.
Even when everyone else has gone,
I will punch the punching bag until a game comes on. XD

10 years later. Still Brawling!

SlowPokemon

Nice job explaining, but I think it's important to clarify that in the events where the remake includes a *remix* of a track, and you base your arrangement on the remix, not the original, it should fall under the remake. Seems obvious, but if you base your arrangement of "Battle! (Trainer Battle)" on the version in Black 2 & White 2, rather than the (very similar) version in Black & White, it might be confusing for some to know that it should be filed under the Black 2 & White 2 section. I hope that makes sense.

JDMEK5

Quote from: Brawler4Ever on August 09, 2015, 10:11:33 PMTo summarize my idea:
1) The first two games in each generation of Pokemon games would be a combined game. As far as I've seen, they always share the same soundtrack.
2) The third game would only include songs exclusive to that game; repeats would belong to the prior games in that generation.
Quote from: SlowPokemon on August 10, 2015, 08:28:58 AMNice job explaining, but I think it's important to clarify that in the events where the remake includes a *remix* of a track, and you base your arrangement on the remix, not the original, it should fall under the remake. Seems obvious, but if you base your arrangement of "Battle! (Trainer Battle)" on the version in Black 2 & White 2, rather than the (very similar) version in Black & White, it might be confusing for some to know that it should be filed under the Black 2 & White 2 section. I hope that makes sense.
Yes. These two things and then we're all set. Let's implement them both together cuz that takes care of everything and exactly the way it should be done.

My Arrangements

Altissimo

How are we thinking the titles should be represented on the sheets? "Pokémon Gold Version and Pokémon Silver Version", like Latios212 is trying to make the standard in the GSC arrangement project?

Also, what of the RBY tracks - Red and Blue, or Red and Green?

Latios212

Quote from: Brawler4Ever on August 09, 2015, 10:11:33 PM1) The first two games in each generation of Pokemon games would be a combined game. As far as I've seen, they always share the same soundtrack.
There are a couple of exceptions (ex, Opelucid City from B/W) but it's fine since the OSTs combine the games and the other 99% of tracks are shared.

Quote from: Altissimo on August 10, 2015, 03:05:41 PMHow are we thinking the titles should be represented on the sheets? "Pokémon Gold Version and Pokémon Silver Version", like Latios212 is trying to make the standard in the GSC arrangement project?

Also, what of the RBY tracks - Red and Blue, or Red and Green?
Errr, we already did Pokémon Red/Blue Version for gen 1 project but either should work. As long as it includes only the paired games and the word "version". And North American titles, correct? So Red and Blue.

Quote from: JDMEK5 on August 10, 2015, 02:54:20 PMYes. These two things and then we're all set. Let's implement them both together cuz that takes care of everything and exactly the way it should be done.
Gotta get Jamaha. He's the only one who can edit site category titles.
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

SlowPokemon

I know it's wordy, but unfortunately if we want to be accurate it should be as follows:
Pokémon Red Version & Pokémon Blue Version
Pokémon Yellow Version
etc.
Pokémon Black Version 2 & Pokémon White Version 2
and then starting with the 3DS games, "version" is eliminated from the title:
Pokémon X & Pokémon Y
Pokémon Omega Ruby & Pokémon Alpha Sapphire

Worth noting that the first two hybrid word games are written as a single word with two capitalizations, without a space, as follows:
Pokémon FireRed Version & Pokémon LeafGreen Version
Pokémon HeartGold Version & Pokémon SoulSilver Version

Writing it as Red/Blue Version or Red & Blue Version implies that the first game is called Red with the second being called Blue Version. According to grammar, the way I suggested is appropriate.

Olimar12345

Yeah, but they're all "Pokémon [something] Version." It makes sense to use the shortened "Pokémon Red/Blue Versions" scheme, for example.
Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

SlowPokemon

Besides everything from XY forward omitting the version, I don't think you caught my edit:

Quote from: SlowPokemon on August 10, 2015, 04:18:48 PMWriting it as Red/Blue Version or Red & Blue Version implies that the first game is called Red with the second being called Blue Version. According to grammar, the way I suggested is appropriate.

It's my opinions that the "/" character also looks unprofessional IMO, especially considering that all official Game Freak sources including the soundtrack albums use "&" instead. And "Red/Blue Versions" is just a clunky way of putting it.