braix

Shitstorm-Starter's Guide To Preventing Shit From Happening
Brought to you by: braixen1264

Step 1: Type out your message
Step 2: Analyze message
Step 3: Modify message
Step 4: Repeat steps 2 and 3 until you think it will no longer cause conflict
Step 5: Analyze again

Don't post it if it still seems like a bad idea. If you think it's okay, post it. If people are still offended by your post, you messed up somewhere.
Quote from: MaestroUGC on August 19, 2015, 12:22:27 PM
Braixen is a wonderful [insert gender] with beautiful [corresponding gender trait] and is just the darlingest at [stereotypical activity typically associated with said gender] you ever saw.

SlowPokemon

Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

Pianist Da Sootopolis

Or the people offended can take the time to respond with a well thought out reply.
Or, y'know....
Move on.

All dickishness aside, while one shouldn't say intentionally inflammatory things, if you have a point you want to get across, you shouldn't have to put other people's feelings before expressing yourself. Even with horribly bigoted opinions, because when people take the time to actually crush your arguments with their superior ones, people will look at the argument are go "Okay he's clearly right and the other guy is wrong".
And then we move on.
Moving on is really the key here.
what is shitpost

Waddle Bro

i'm offended by that guide, u messed up somewhere
Nah just kidding, but pointing out how some people can get offended even when there's no rational reason for it

great post tho :]

ninja'd with a+++++++++ post, although there's nothing that requires you to be unoffended when there's a good reason for being offended, but Sootopolis is too right about people using personal attacks as arguments

ShadowChords

Quote from: Dudeman on January 02, 2016, 03:01:47 PMHe could have easily told the joke instead of trying to brag about something. In fact, I'd love to see his version. But why go "lol my way's better" without saying anything about it?

I REALLY want to, but it involves a Jew and a Palestinian, and we already have a Politics from, soooo...........
I can arrange for quartets and quintets. I'm willing to review any Pokemon arrangement.

And here's my YT channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/MansionXx

E. Gadd Industries

"Everyone is crazy but me"
-The Sign Painter

The entrance to my lab is hidden... somewhere...
Spoiler

[/spoiler
[close]

Dude

People really need to use that little preview button on the reply page, it'd stop a lot of problems.

braix

Quote from: Waddle Bro on January 02, 2016, 04:34:26 PM...some people can get offended even when there's no rational reason for it...
So imagine how offended said people could get when there IS a rational reason for it
Braixen is a wonderful [insert gender] with beautiful [corresponding gender trait] and is just the darlingest at [stereotypical activity typically associated with said gender] you ever saw.

Pianist Da Sootopolis

And you know what the best thing is to do in those cases?
Either write a better argument, move on, or (and this is one that rarely happens, and I'm somewhat guilty of it sometimes) realize that you may be wrong. You don't necessarily have to change what you believe, but you can at least take the time to closely analyze your beliefs and see if it really makes sense, especially when faced with counterarguments.
what is shitpost

braix

Read:
Quote from: braixen1264 on January 02, 2016, 03:50:29 PMDon't post it if it still seems like a bad idea. If you think it's okay, post it. If people are still offended by your post, you messed up somewhere.

If your goal is to prevent a shitstorm, ignore what you want to say. Rather than coming up with a "better argument", just don't post. If you don't say anything, there's nothing to reply to.
Don't think of it as putting other peoples' emotions first so that they won't get offended. I do this to make sure I avoid as much head butting as possible-it gets annoying for everybody involved.

Pianist Da Sootopolis

Why shouldn't people argue?
These people are going to interact on NSM for other reasons still. The old adage of "if you don't interact with it they'll go away" works for people you're interacting with on YT and elsewhere because that's the only interaction you have with them; however, on NSM, when people butt heads over politics and religion and the like, that's only a small subsect of the NSM forums. They typically are still interacting with mods whom they disagree with but they don't care because they're talking about arrangements and music. That's one of the beautiful things about music; it brings people together whom otherwise wouldn't want to be anywhere near each other.
That having been said, letting the tension build up by NOT letting people express their opinions is a bad idea, though it is sometimes necessary when things turn from debates (polite or otherwise) to shit flinging contests.
That's also a point; debates can be impolite and still be debates (and I'm only speaking in terms of definitions, not what's allowed on NSM). Look at just about any religious debate with Richard Dawkins or Christopher Hitchens; they're still intellectual debates, even when things get heated.
That said, for social reasons we don't allow debates when they get heated (officially, anyways), for better or worse. But it's important to realize that even if things get heated there can still be good points made and the like.
what is shitpost

ShadowChords

Quote from: Pianist Da Sootopolis on January 02, 2016, 05:34:39 PMWhy shouldn't people argue?
These people are going to interact on NSM for other reasons still. The old adage of "if you don't interact with it they'll go away" works for people you're interacting with on YT and elsewhere because that's the only interaction you have with them; however, on NSM, when people butt heads over politics and religion and the like, that's only a small subsect of the NSM forums. They typically are still interacting with mods whom they disagree with but they don't care because they're talking about arrangements and music. That's one of the beautiful things about music; it brings people together whom otherwise wouldn't want to be anywhere near each other.
That having been said, letting the tension build up by NOT letting people express their opinions is a bad idea, though it is sometimes necessary when things turn from debates (polite or otherwise) to shit flinging contests.
That's also a point; debates can be impolite and still be debates (and I'm only speaking in terms of definitions, not what's allowed on NSM). Look at just about any religious debate with Richard Dawkins or Christopher Hitchens; they're still intellectual debates, even when things get heated.
That said, for social reasons we don't allow debates when they get heated (officially, anyways), for better or worse. But it's important to realize that even if things get heated there can still be good points made and the like.

Well put, my friend. Well put.
I can arrange for quartets and quintets. I'm willing to review any Pokemon arrangement.

Waddle Bro

Quote from: braixen1264 on January 02, 2016, 05:14:47 PMSo imagine how offended said people could get when there IS a rational reason for it
If there is a rational reason for it and they can talk about it rationally there wouldn't be a shitstorm in the first place

ShadowChords

Ok, here's a nerdy joke.

Q: What did the scoentist say when he found two isotopes of helium?

A:HeHe