News:

Interested in contributing to the site? Give The Arrangement Formatting Guidelines and The Arranging Checklist a good read!

Main Menu

Undertale

Started by Nebbles, October 06, 2015, 08:53:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FireArrow

i feel very aroused right now
Quote from: Dudeman on January 23, 2017, 05:35:59 PM
straight from the department of redundancy department

BrainyLucario

I accidentally clicked on the last on because the spoiler didnt say NSFW (i noticed the text above it did however) and may i just say....that was very clever..
When given the choice between adulting and music, choose music every time.

Jub3r7

who this man why he everywhere
[close]

edit: this was a lot funnier 5 seconds before i posted it

...have some more. yes im just taking these pictures from r/undertale
"FloweyRanAway.gif"
[close]
It's dangerous to go alone, take me with you! [JUB has joined the party.]

Nebbles

god, that second gif is beautiful
Quote from: Dudeman on April 13, 2016, 04:54:04 PM
- Nebbles, the beauty with the heart of frozen steel

Olimar12345

It is 5:45 AM, and I just finished the perfect pacifist run.

Spoiler
I could have shaved about 45 minutes off, but I wanted to go back and visit all of my friends along the way before leaving the underground. Payed off, too. Asriel was all the way back in the now-open ruins and had much to say.
[close]

Man, before mettaton EX I was looking forward to doing a genocide run out of curiosity. Now it would hurt a lot to go that route...

Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

BrainyLucario

Are you glad you gave the pacifist run a try?

Nebbles

I'm really glad you gave it a second chance and enjoyed it.

mikey

I can't believe you.
unmotivated

Yug_Guy

Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on January 08, 2016, 01:30:03 PMI can't believe you.
Olimar's reaction is actually quite common. There are a bunch of people who don't like/understand Undertale until they finish a Pacifist run. Typically, most people's neutral run leave them feeling "meh." Also:
Spoiler
Am I the only one who didn't necessarily like the "talk to everyone and see how they feel about the end game"? Sure, I get that it's a tribute to Earthbound, and that there's a lot of interesting dialogue from the characters at the end, but for the most part it's poorly executed.

Firstly, Toriel's line about "talking with your friends" might come off as ambiguous if you don't know that a) this game pays a lot of tribute to Earthbound and b) the ending is the same as Earthbound's. Some people might not know that that's what the game wants them to do because they haven't heard of Earthbound or it's ending. 

Second, because of the game's already tedious flaw of having a large maze-like world with only one somewhat-helpful method for fast travel, there are a ton of characters and NPC's that some people might just skip over, because they're too tedious to get to in the first place. Onion-san is probably the pinnacle of this flaw; being in a tedious-to-get-to location because of how the map is structured.

And third, and probably Undertale's biggest cardinal sin imo: Undertale's ending sequence is based purely on whether or not players want to talk to everyone. Like, the door that leads to the credits is right there after you wake up by your friends, meaning that you could just end the game right there. But instead, the game wants you to backtrack, to see all of the other NPC's. But this decision is left purely to the player. In fact, the bread and butter of the entire endgame, meeting Asriel for the last time, is only vaguely hinted at (if not ever). Sure, some players might decide to explore absolutely everywhere and they might stumble across him at the beginning, but for a large majority of players, including myself, they didn't bother going to the ruins because they didn't think anything was there. And even if there was, they probably figured that it wasn't worth all the backtracking it takes to get there. Not to mention, once you got there, you had to walk all the way back to "The End".

Imo, the reason Earthbound's ending works so well is that you went from (essentially) the end back to the beginning. Now, the route you could take might be a large one, but there was almost no need to backtrack. And even if you did decide to take the quick route to Paula's house, you could still enjoy a substantial amount of the endgame. "I'm taking her home anyway, might as well stop by some of the NPC's and see how they're doing!" But with Undertale, Toby essentially copied the idea without realizing just why it worked in Earthbound in the first place. 
[/rant]
[close]

mikey

hey you're right
the game was so hilariously linear
someone should make a big over(under?)world map and draw the line you follow to beat the game
unmotivated

Dudeman

Quote from: Yug_Guy on January 08, 2016, 02:12:59 PM
Spoiler
Am I the only one who didn't necessarily like the "talk to everyone and see how they feel about the end game"? Sure, I get that it's a tribute to Earthbound, and that there's a lot of interesting dialogue from the characters at the end, but for the most part it's poorly executed.

Firstly, Toriel's line about "talking with your friends" might come off as ambiguous if you don't know that a) this game pays a lot of tribute to Earthbound and b) the ending is the same as Earthbound's. Some people might not know that that's what the game wants them to do because they haven't heard of Earthbound or it's ending. 

Second, because of the game's already tedious flaw of having a large maze-like world with only one somewhat-helpful method for fast travel, there are a ton of characters and NPC's that some people might just skip over, because they're too tedious to get to in the first place. Onion-san is probably the pinnacle of this flaw; being in a tedious-to-get-to location because of how the map is structured.

And third, and probably Undertale's biggest cardinal sin imo: Undertale's ending sequence is based purely on whether or not players want to talk to everyone. Like, the door that leads to the credits is right there after you wake up by your friends, meaning that you could just end the game right there. But instead, the game wants you to backtrack, to see all of the other NPC's. But this decision is left purely to the player. In fact, the bread and butter of the entire endgame, meeting Asriel for the last time, is only vaguely hinted at (if not ever). Sure, some players might decide to explore absolutely everywhere and they might stumble across him at the beginning, but for a large majority of players, including myself, they didn't bother going to the ruins because they didn't think anything was there. And even if there was, they probably figured that it wasn't worth all the backtracking it takes to get there. Not to mention, once you got there, you had to walk all the way back to "The End".

Imo, the reason Earthbound's ending works so well is that you went from (essentially) the end back to the beginning. Now, the route you could take might be a large one, but there was almost no need to backtrack. And even if you did decide to take the quick route to Paula's house, you could still enjoy a substantial amount of the endgame. "I'm taking her home anyway, might as well stop by some of the NPC's and see how they're doing!" But with Undertale, Toby essentially copied the idea without realizing just why it worked in Earthbound in the first place. 
[/rant]
[close]
Spoiler
My first time through, I had no idea that going back was an option and I thought Toriel was just saying I could talk to them six before I left. It was only after I saw pictures of the amalgamates in the overworld and references to "if you go back after a true pacifist run" that I realized it was an option. This was easily the worst-executed portion of the game, especially after a pacifist run where you've already had to figure out the obscure stuff to spare the bosses.

I did go back on a second playthrough though and I was very pleased with the results. And Olimar, I am very pleased to know that you found it worth it to go all the way back to Asriel, especially after your thoughts on the game before doing a full pacifist run.
[close]
Quote from: braixen1264 on December 03, 2015, 03:52:29 PMDudeman's facial hair is number 1 in my book

Nebbles

Spoiler
I dunno, I liked going back and talking to everyone. I felt accomplished because I helped everyone get free, and they were all going to be happy. Plus, seeing the families reunited with the amalgamates, Asriel... it was nice.
[close]

braix

Spoiler
wait what you're allowed to go back to the ruins? ._.
[close]
Quote from: MaestroUGC on August 19, 2015, 12:22:27 PM
Braixen is a wonderful [insert gender] with beautiful [corresponding gender trait] and is just the darlingest at [stereotypical activity typically associated with said gender] you ever saw.

Olimar12345

Spoiler
It was said that the ruins were reopened.
[close]
Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

BrainyLucario

You know something...Undertale has a constant theme through it's gameplay......I believe this video expresses it the best...I would express this myself but my wording sucks...
Spoiler
[close]