News:

Want to request some new sheets? Head on over here first!

Main Menu

Formatting Issues with Layers

Started by mastersuperfan, October 17, 2015, 11:38:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mastersuperfan

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/mumjui1zz2x1gm4/AAC2g2nYg3OgKQWAQ80LSiqna?dl=0&s=sl

So, today I created an arrangement of "Pearl Fey ~ With Pearly" from PW: AA: JFA, but since there are three or four voices close in pitch throughout the theme, the layers overlap and make it look kind of ugly. Notably, there's one thing that needs to be fixed, but I'm not sure how. In m11 and m15, in the right hand, when both notes play the G, the one in Layer 1 is dotted, but you can't see the dot because the other G is blocking it. Any help on this?

Also, since I don't use layers too often, let alone so conflicting like this, I'd also appreciate other advice on how to improve the formatting in this arrangement, notably what I should do the rests.
Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on February 11, 2016, 03:00:36 PMthere's also a huge difference in quality between 2000 songs and 2010 songs
Quote from: Latios212 on February 11, 2016, 03:29:24 PMThe difference between 2000 songs and 2010 songs is 10 songs.

JDMEK5

Actually it doesn't look that bad to me at all.
"Today's goal strongly involves not dying. Because nobody likes to wake up dead."

My Arrangements
Finale Version(s): Finale Notepad 2012, Finale 2012, Finale v26

TheMarioPianist

Here, I have some examples here that show what you could do. I have fixed up 11, 15, and 16 as examples.

[.mus]

A basic tip to know about layers: if the same note is playing in both layers (especially the same duration), there is no need to put it in twice. Omit it in the second layer by replacing it with a rest. In the case of the hidden dot, I replaced the quarter note G with a quarter rest. The sound of the song should not change at all. Like JDMEK said, I don't really see any "overlapping" that you mention. The thing I would do is take the other instances in this song where both layers are playing the same note and replace the layer 2 one with a rest. Let me know if you have any trouble; I can explain more thoroughly and specifically if necessary.
"I'm always here to help. Except when I'm not." ~Latios212

"If you're interested in 'balancing' work and pleasure, stop trying to balance them. Instead make your work more pleasurable." ~Donald J. Trump

Transcriber
M-updater
Piano player