News:

We seem to have trapped one of the mods within the forum's code... and we're not sure how to get him out. Oh well, he'll figure it out!

Main Menu

Problems with sheet clean-up after importing MIDI - Help please!

Started by Bespinben, July 05, 2011, 03:57:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bespinben

Please bear with me for a little bit - I'm a total newbie with Finale (truly). I write my arrangements in Sibelius, and I've been wanting to submit music to Ninsheetmusic for quite a while now, so I've been trying to learn how to use Finale Songwriter so I could submit my arrangements in the .mus format. Now comes the problem - when I import the MIDIs of my arrangements from Sibelius to Finale Songwriter, all the clef markings disappear after the first system on each page! The playback is still fine and the notes still have the appearance of being in the clef I wrote them in, but all the clef markings disappear past the first system on each page (re-read those last 6 words for clarity; I chose those words very carefully to describe what I mean). Now, this wouldn't be a problem if I knew how to fix it, but I'm a newbie with the program so I'm clueless.  The user guide wasn't really helpful either. I also tried to use the clef change tool to put the clefs back in, but since technically I'm not changing the clef since the notes were still in the clef I intended them to be in, I get nothing, as it's a clef change tool. Please help me!
Quote from: Nebbles on July 04, 2015, 12:05:12 PM
Someone beat Bespinben to making PMD music?! GASP!

MLF for Chatroom Mod next Tuesday

MaestroUGC

Uh, this is a new one, Finale shouldn't have that problem with importing midis, period. On the first system on each page has the clef markings, and the rest leave that space blank, yes? It may be how you have Finale set up for importing midis, or this:

Select Staff Attributes>Left click on the staves in question>under "Items to Display" make sure everything is selected except "Staff Name in Parts"

If that doesn't help then I'm at a loss, also I'm working with the full Finale 2010, so it may be different for you.
Try to do everything; you're bound to succeed with at least one.

JDMEK5

That happens to me too! Except much worse.
The imported piece loses titles and headers, sometimes (a) whole staff(ves) will be written an octave higher.
I can't really help you with this I'm sorry, but I usually just either fix it up, or rewrite it from scratch. (Usually rewrite)

This happens on my default music program (not finale). But finale gets pretty messy too.
"Today's goal strongly involves not dying. Because nobody likes to wake up dead."

My Arrangements
Finale Version(s): Finale Notepad 2012, Finale 2012, Finale v26

Bespinben

It actually is different for you Maestro! I downloaded a trial version of Finale 2011 today, imported a MIDI into it, and it turned out just fine! I don't get why lower versions of Finale software are ridden with such annoyances and bugs, almost as if they're intentionally left in the program to annoy users to upgrade... yeesh. Thanks for trying to help me with my problems in Songwriter though!
Quote from: Nebbles on July 04, 2015, 12:05:12 PM
Someone beat Bespinben to making PMD music?! GASP!

MLF for Chatroom Mod next Tuesday

MadMuso

Has anyone had help with this????

I have just had the same trouble with Finale Songwriter and importing a midi....

I may start a new thread :-(

It is VERY FRUSTRATING!!!

>:( :-[ :o >:(

Th3Gavst3r

Quote from: MadMuso on February 25, 2016, 12:43:30 AMHas anyone had help with this????

I have just had the same trouble with Finale Songwriter and importing a midi....

I may start a new thread :-(

It is VERY FRUSTRATING!!!

>:( :-[ :o >:(

Yeah, might have been better to start a new thread...
Anyway, I would recommend you export to music XML instead of midi for converting between programs if you can. Midi isn't meant to store notation data, only sounds, so problems are pretty much to be expected. Music XML still isn't perfect, but chances are you'll get much better results

InsigTurtle