BDS's Compositions: Featuring "Music of Nornova"!

Started by BlackDragonSlayer, December 16, 2012, 08:27:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Delsinrock Town...!?!?

ROCKS! *bad pun*
Is much better than the old one.
Is still bad.
SHOULD BURN IN THE FIERY PITS OF HELL, NEVER TO BE SEEN AGAIN.

BlackDragonSlayer

Feel free to comment.

Music of Nornova
Cities and Towns
Gladiolus Town:
(2.0) MSCZ
MUS
Lazuli City:
(2.0) MSCZ
MUS
Waterlily Town:
(2.0) MSCZ
MUS
Fermento City:
MUS
Atlantis City:
MUS
Starlight City:
Ferail City:
Delsinrock Town:
(2.0) MSCZ
MUS
Ledge Town:
Top-of-the-Mountain City:
Mulai Town:

Other Locations
Soul Well:
MUS
Scholars' Tombs:
MUS
Surf Theme, Piano-only:
MUS
Saber HQ:
(2.0) MSCZ
MUS

Battles and Battle Intros
Legendary Battle Intro:
(2.0) MSCZ
MUS
Legendary Scholar Battle:
(2.0) MSCZ
MUS
Incarnation Duo Battle:
(2.0) MSCZ
MUS
Champion Battle, Piano-only:
MUS

Other
The Sorrow of Team Saber:
MUS

Normal Compositions
The Draconian Wanderer:
MP3

Introduction:
MP3
Title Theme:
MP3
Stage 1 (Plains):
MP3
Stage 2 (Forest):
MP3
Stage 3 (Mountains):
MP3
Stage 4 (Valley):
Stage 5 (Docks):
MP3
Stage 6 (Ocean):
MP3
Stage 7 (Cave):
MP3
Stage 8 (Sky):
Stage 9 (Ramparts):
Final Stage (Boss Rush):
MP3
And the moral of the story: Quit while you're a head.

Fakemon Dex
NSM Sprite Thread
Compositions
Story Thread
The Dread Somber

BlackDragonSlayer

After so long, I finally added something new- the second version of an original composition, titled "The Draconian Wanderer." Some story behind this: I was listening to the Opening Theme from Mega Turrican when I suddenly got inspired to make this (you can notice some vague similarities between the two at the beginning). The song is set in a story idea I had (from the same universe as one of my short stories), and the distinct-yet-derivative sections should help you imagine the mood: essentially, the protagonist, fleeing from a pursuer, is in a spaceship graveyard and comes upon what seems to be an empty ship- called the Draconian Wanderer, hence the title- completely devoid of any life... or so it seems. The intro section is the "first impressions," like there's nothing unusual going on (and might start out identically to another exploration theme, I was thinking?). Then, as continue exploring, you see... something that seems off. Hesitant but left with no other option, you continue through. And then, during the final section... I'll leave that to your imagination. ;) Each section is designed to be repeated indefinitely (it's not marked that way on the sheet, though) until you trigger specific events (or until your pursuer catches up with you), at which point it would transition to the next segment, until the music just stops (the MP3 doesn't capture this, but there are four measures intentionally left blank at the end, for emphasis of the spookiness :P). The first version I made was emptier and a little faster during some parts, and after listening to it about a dozen times, I decided that it bothered me and made a few simple changes, which, in my opinion, make the whole thing work better and help the ending seem slightly more ominous overall.

I also have a few more completely original songs based around the same idea, but they're not quite as interesting out-of-context as this one (and all but one are much shorter).

Finally, I have plans to completely redo everything else I've already done in this thread in Musescore (e.g. improving the way instruments are used, or lengthening certain songs without being too repetitive).

Fakemon Dex
NSM Sprite Thread
Compositions
Story Thread
The Dread Somber

BlackDragonSlayer

Before I go, I uploaded three new original compositions. The sound I was aiming for was a cross between the music of The Guardian Legend and the original Kid Icarus, so if they remind you of either of them, that should explain things. :P The Boss Rush was composed after I saw this and decided to mess around with tremolos. The melody kind of just put itself together, and I tried to make it as flowing and natural as possible; I also had fun working with the dynamics for that particular piece. I have a lot more stuff planned in order to give myself more opportunities to try different sounds that evoke certain locations.

Fakemon Dex
NSM Sprite Thread
Compositions
Story Thread
The Dread Somber

cashwarrior1

Woah! This is a cool list. I'mma listen to all of them.

BlackDragonSlayer

Uploaded "Title Theme." This started out as simply an experiment to see if I could emulate the sound of title screen music from older games (notice the drums and deep background "VRRRRRRRR," created here by a violin playing way lower than a real violin probably ever could- at least according to MuseScore :P), but I liked what I had, so I spent some more time building and refining it. My main influences on this piece were Metroid's Title Theme, Axiom Verge's Title Theme, and R-Type's Title Theme. My greatest challenge in making the theme was getting the tempo just right at several specific points, and not having a volume between pianissimo and pianississimo (talk about first world music problems); thus, a few things sound just a tiny bit louder than I'd like them to (had to settle for pianissimo!).

Fakemon Dex
NSM Sprite Thread
Compositions
Story Thread
The Dread Somber

BlackDragonSlayer

IT BEGINS.

In what will probably (hopefully?) be my last big project of summer, I've started releasing new versions of my past music. First up are Gladiolus Town and Delsinrock Town (because that name sounds so much cooler, and so does the music! Honestly, the old music was awful). I'll try and do two more today, and the sheets are available as long as you have Musescore, though I doubt anyone would want to make piano arrangements anyway.

EDIT 8/13/16: As promised, Lazuli City and Waterlily Town; the latter was the one that took so much of my time because I wanted to get it PERFECT. I feel I got pretty close to that, so I'm happy!

EDIT 8/17/16: Uploaded Battle! Incarnation Duo and Saber HQ.

EDIT 8/21/16: Added Legendary Battle Intro and Battle! Ancient Scholars.

Fakemon Dex
NSM Sprite Thread
Compositions
Story Thread
The Dread Somber

BlackDragonSlayer

By some good fortune, this board has managed to become the most viewed in Home-Made Compositions, though I don't quite know why. Maybe because of all the Pokemon-themed compositions (after all, Pokemon-centered creative works tend to get a lot of attention on NSM)? Maybe because I've recently kept on updating somewhat consistently? Maybe I've finally become a successful composer!? Maybe it's from all the times I've viewed it!?!? :o

We may never know. But what I would like to share with you all is my progress on my final project of this summer; while it isn't nearly as complete as I'd like it, I'm happy with the results thus far, with a lot of older compositions becoming so much better than they were before (really, I didn't want to leave anything incomplete or unsatisfactory this time around; and I have the tools to do it!). However, as I mentioned before, there are still some left. Rather than continue to edit my previous post, I'll just drop the list of works to be done here and cross them off as I do them! High priority ones are starred.

Fermento City
Atlantis City
*Soul Well
*Scholars' Tombs
Surf Theme
Champion Battle
The Sorrow of Team Saber

Adieu, adieu, and see you... well, maybe tomorrow. It's not like I'm not going to have an internet connection or anything! Hope my new roommate doesn't mind the tedium!

Fakemon Dex
NSM Sprite Thread
Compositions
Story Thread
The Dread Somber